Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreams

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 16, 2019

The nebulous and long-awaited spiritual successor to LittleBigPlanet by Media Molecule, focusing once again on user-generated content.

Who is the target audience for this and, why are people excited?

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

On both this weeks Bombcast and Monday's Waypoint Radio, the hosts were getting excited about all of the possible things people could make with the in-depth tool set, and Media Molecule was apparently saying things like "we want people to be able to make games in Dreams". I just don't get. Both who is this for and, why anyone is excited about it?

If the tools are good enough then they just made a version of Unity where the creations are locked inside a console game. I just don't see why anyone would want to spend the time making an entire game in Dreams when the tools and distribution are already simple on PC.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheFlamingo352

As someone with experience in Unity and loved LittleBigPlanet to death, I'm very excited for Dreams because of the way content creation tools can 'guide' creativity and help younger players make things. Also, games with dedicated creation suites also have dedicated creation communities, so it's a lot easier to browse and try a variety of user-made levels.

Also Media Molecule has a great kitschy style. I really hope Dreams is good.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mean you could make mario levels in Unity and Mario Maker won GOTY a few years ago. Ease of use and making the tools fun goes a long way. Also the idea of people making shit because it's enjoyable and not purely for profit would be nice to see when places like Steam and Unity are filled with asset flips, clones, and other cash grabs.

All that being said i've never found the tools that Media Molecule present to the user in any of their games to be very intuitive, I realise that stuff is hard to translate to a controller though. I really hope Dreams realises it's potential although the cynic in me doesnt expect it to. (Anyone remember Project Spark?)

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By stinger061

I feel like it’s going to hit well with a very specific audience but overall it’s going to be a failure. I have no details on the budget of the game but there is almost no chance a product like this which has been in development since before the PS4 launched can possibly be profitable at this point.

It feels like an even more niche Little Big Planet and will probably be loved by thsoe who get deep into it and have a creative mind but alongside Sony’s other first party products it’s not going to hold up and I fear for the future of the studio.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By glots

Why’s anyone excited about anything?

I’m sure this won’t be a smash hit like God of War, but I’m sure that it finds an audience with the people who did all those crazy custom things in LPB.

Of course, if they’ve managed to make a core game around this whole thing that is fun to play and the creation tools are also amazing, then who knows, it might be a hit.

Also, why would anyone make Doom run on just about any possible device that has a screen on it? Because they *can*. You really don’t need a reason beyond that for some things.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like making things.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the tools are good enough then they just made a version of Unity where the creations are locked inside a console game. I just don't see why anyone would want to spend the time making an entire game in Dreams when the tools and distribution are already simple on PC.

Because those people might not want to use or set up the distribution chain for making Unity games. Because they're hobbyists who just want to play around with the tools available on the console game - like people who got really into Mario Maker - an official product of something people had been doing for years on PC.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m not excited.

I thought LBP was a great idea that was okay in practice. I remember things like the Sweet Child O’ Mine skateboard fondly, but found the game part lacking.

As for Dreams itself, all I’ve seen was that one trailer. Maybe it’ll be cool, but for now it’s just another unreleased game.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so over the entire discussion about what MM's games are and who the audience is and who will or won't get it. It's not even about accepting or not accepting it, I just don't give a shit if people "don't get it". This is for me. I was hooked instantly when sackboy entered the screen in 2007 and I immediately understood what it was and what it could be and how great it was. After all these years with hundreds of hours in LBP I know exactly what Dreams will give me - entire days of jamming in the editor listening to my own music and just zoning out and making dumb and great stuff for my own enjoyment, both small things like toy cars but maybe entire levels as well. Today, right now I don't feel the hype to create massive levels but I know I'm going to have a blast making characters or music tracks for sure. Doing the LBP thing all over again, I'm not touching the editor until I've collected all objects and then it's off to create mode.

One of the saddest things I see is "I can't create anything, I'm not creative". You don't have to be, you can have so much fun just messing around making dumb stuff that aren't even a playable thing and that's the whole point of this. You can make a painting but again..it doesn't have to be good! As long as you're having fun with it. A lot of the funnier things in LBP were so dumb.

Shindig sums it up best - people like making things.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

When you say "the tools and distribution are already simple on PC", are you specifically talking about Unity? Because Unity isn't something that you can just come home from work or school and slip into, that's something you've got to spend time and effort learning about it. I say this as someone who has recently downloaded Unity and tried to work with it. I haven't made it very far at all.

I'm not saying this thing is for me - creation tools on console never have been (and creation tools on PC kinda never have been, either). But this Dreams thing is bound to be a much more guided experience than Unity, which would make it much easier for people to access and get into.

Another thing worth noting is that some people actively dislike sitting at a PC. This is something that many internet commenters don't even think about, in my experience - a lot of people would much rather sit on their couch or comfy chair and do stuff on their TV. Dreams looks way more suited to those people.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for two reasons: a creation suite with PSVR support, and the sheer ease of use.

It sounds like you're wondering why people would want to make a house of LEGO when they could build an actual house to live in. It's a whole separate goal with a whole separate barrier to entry.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see somebody sit down with David Lynch and make some weird dream.

talbert99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humans love to build!

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably start out well but will end up doing as well as Project Spark I imagine

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People like different things!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.