Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Drugs

Concept »

Life altering and potentially dangerous, drugs come in a large variety of forms. In most games, drugs can have significantly different physical and social effects on video game characters.

This is an underused theme in games.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Whenever drugs are in games, you're either selling them for profit or taking them for an adrenaline boost, it seems. Why don't more games use drugs creatively? Why aren't there games where the entire thing is a drug trip hallucination? This seems like a great route to have a creative macguffin as well as flex your artistic muscles.

Yay or Nay?
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By guiseppe

A game that depicts drugs in a positive way would probably be banned in so many places that it wouldn't be worth bothering.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    guiseppe said:
    "A game that depicts drugs in a positive way would probably be banned in so many places that it wouldn't be worth bothering."
    Who said it was positive? That hallucination could be TOTALLY FUCKED UP. Demons and stuff, you know?
    Boyling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Boyling
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Why aren't there games where the entire thing is a drug trip hallucination?"
    I think Pac Man is a great example of this =)
    Avatar image for luckywanderdude
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Whenever drugs are in games, you're either selling them for profit or taking them for an adrenaline boost, it seems. Why don't more games use drugs creatively? Why aren't there games where the entire thing is a drug trip hallucination? This seems like a great route to have a creative macguffin as well as flex your artistic muscles.
    Yay or Nay?
    "
    Well it wouldn't sell so maybe the industry needs an alt. business model to make this economically viable.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Whenever drugs are in games, you're either selling them for profit or taking them for an adrenaline boost, it seems. Why don't more games use drugs creatively? Why aren't there games where the entire thing is a drug trip hallucination? This seems like a great route to have a creative macguffin as well as flex your artistic muscles.
    Yay or Nay?
    "
    Well it wouldn't sell so maybe the industry needs an alt. business model to make this economically viable."
    No game sells on concept. You'd have to have awesome gameplay. It's not like the entire game is walking around, tripping on drugs and shitting yourself. There'd be evil hallucinations or whatnot, maybe some boss fights, social commentary...
    Oh wait, now my game idea is spilling over.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Yay or Nay?
    "
    Well it wouldn't sell so maybe the industry needs an alt. business model to make this economically viable."
    No game sells on concept. You'd have to have awesome gameplay. It's not like the entire game is walking around, tripping on drugs and shitting yourself. There'd be evil hallucinations or whatnot, maybe some boss fights, social commentary...
    "
    I hate to say it man but this game has already been done in the FREEWARE indie scene. It's called Randy Balma Municipal Abortionist. Don't worry, it doesn't cost anything so downloading it isn't piracy.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

You could smoke crack (skooma) in Morrowind. You even had to find the ingrediants (moon sugar,) get the right alchemical equipment, make the skooma, and then get a pipe to smoke it.

No joke. Somehow, that game is rated T.

LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    guiseppe said:
    "A game that depicts drugs in a positive way would probably be banned in so many places that it wouldn't be worth bothering."
    That's why the game industry needs to become less about money and corporations and more about ideas. That way controversy wouldn't be a negative thing.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Yay or Nay?
    "
    "
    I hate to say it man but this game has already been done in the FREEWARE indie scene. It's called Randy Balma Municipal Abortionist. Don't worry, it doesn't cost anything so downloading it isn't piracy."
    That's not at all what I mean. OK, let me try to explain...
    Imagine Gears of War style gameplay, except instead of in a war-torn future, you're in a drug trip. Imagine Mario platforming, but instead of the Mushroom Kingdom, you're in , well, a more druggish trip than already. It doesn't have to be flashing subliminal message. I'm basically talking about having a game set in a drug addict's own mind with everything else being more traditional.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Yay or Nay?
    "
    "
    I hate to say it man but this game has already been done in the FREEWARE indie scene. It's called Randy Balma Municipal Abortionist. Don't worry, it doesn't cost anything so downloading it isn't piracy."
    That's not at all what I mean. OK, let me try to explain...
    Imagine Gears of War style gameplay, except instead of in a war-torn future, you're in a drug trip. Imagine Mario platforming, but instead of the Mushroom Kingdom, you're in , well, a more druggish trip than already. It doesn't have to be flashing subliminal message. I'm basically talking about having a game set in a drug addict's own mind with everything else being more traditional.
    "
    There's no flashing subliminal message in that game and don't bullshit with me that you even played the game in that time period. Gameplay doesn't have to be narrative, who says insane controls and objectives can't convey drugged-out states. The point is, games like that don't get made because they don't fit a large demographic. Without money in the picture, demographics don't matter and games can be free.

EDIT: Okay I didn't see the bit about traditional gameplay. Even so, the game industry doesn't like controversy because it dips into sales.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    BiggerBomb said:
    "You could smoke crack (skooma) in Morrowind. You even had to find the ingrediants (moon sugar,) get the right alchemical equipment, make the skooma, and then get a pipe to smoke it.

No joke. Somehow, that game is rated T."
    I remember that! :P
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    There's no flashing subliminal message in that game and don't bullshit with me that you even played the game in that time period. Gameplay doesn't have to be narrative, who says insane controls and objectives can't convey drugged-out states. The point is, games like that don't get made because they don't fit a large demographic. Without money in the picture, demographics don't matter and games can be free."
    Enough with your tired-ass bullshit about piracy. I don't care. I really, really don't. Also, the game's purpose isn't to make someone think they're on a drug trip, which is what you're describing seems like. It's to provide a new setting. A drug addict's mind is a really strange place. That strangeness could make for an incredible, dynamic game environment.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By guiseppe
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "guiseppe said:
    That's why the game industry needs to become less about money and corporations and more about ideas. That way controversy wouldn't be a negative thing."
    Oh I agree, not necessarilly to support the topic at hand, but to expand creativity within the industry. As you said.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    There's no flashing subliminal message in that game and don't bullshit with me that you even played the game in that time period. Gameplay doesn't have to be narrative, who says insane controls and objectives can't convey drugged-out states. The point is, games like that don't get made because they don't fit a large demographic. Without money in the picture, demographics don't matter and games can be free."
    Enough with your tired-ass bullshit about piracy. I don't care. I really, really don't. Also, the game's purpose isn't to make someone think they're on a drug trip, which is what you're describing seems like. It's to provide a new setting. A drug addict's mind is a really strange place. That strangeness could make for an incredible, dynamic game environment."
    I'm sorry, check out my edited post. I didn't notice the bit about not having traditional gameplay.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    EDIT: Okay I didn't see the bit about traditional gameplay. Even so, the game industry doesn't like controversy because it dips into sales."
    GTA4.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    EDIT: Okay I didn't see the bit about traditional gameplay. Even so, the game industry doesn't like controversy because it dips into sales."
    GTA4."

GTA IV doesn't really apply, though. Rockstar could have you perform abortions while hopped up on crystal meth and the game would still sell.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    GTA4."

GTA IV doesn't really apply, though. Rockstar could have you perform abortions while hopped up on crystal meth and the game would still sell."
    Then why couldn't this? Doom sold. Mortal Kombat sold. Controversial games that are new and innovative sell. A game that is controversial but not all that innovative won't sell. Controversy can detract from sales, but if a game is that good, if people have to play it, then it could sell a lot. Just because a game has drugs in it doesn't mean it has to be pro-drug or even controversial. It could be very ANTI-drug, which is what the idea that started all this in the first place is. Overcoming the game would mean your character overcomes the drug, eh? The drug is the enemy.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    GTA4."

GTA IV doesn't really apply, though. Rockstar could have you perform abortions while hopped up on crystal meth and the game would still sell."
    Then why couldn't this? Doom sold. Mortal Kombat sold. Controversial games that are new and innovative sell. A game that is controversial but not all that innovative won't sell. Controversy can detract from sales, but if a game is that good, if people have to play it, then it could sell a lot. Just because a game has drugs in it doesn't mean it has to be pro-drug or even controversial. It could be very ANTI-drug, which is what the idea that started all this in the first place is. Overcoming the game would mean your character overcomes the drug, eh? The drug is the enemy."
    Doom and mortal kombat were controversial based on violence. Drugs are considered worse (for some reason....) by a lot of people. Furthermore, I like the idea of a game that is ABLE to be pro-drug and still have an audience. I want games to take a stance.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    Doom and mortal kombat were controversial based on violence. Drugs are considered worse (for some reason....) by a lot of people. Furthermore, I like the idea of a game that is ABLE to be pro-drug and still have an audience. I want games to take a stance."
    Well, that's different. If you're talking about a game being pro-drug, you can bet your ass, balls and wife that it will be controversial. To say that any game based on drugs would be equally so seems foolish. It would be controversial, but all "art" that truly advances and innovates is controversial in some way. Look at The Who.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    GTA4."

Then why couldn't this? Doom sold. Mortal Kombat sold. Controversial games that are new and innovative sell. A game that is controversial but not all that innovative won't sell. Controversy can detract from sales, but if a game is that good, if people have to play it, then it could sell a lot. Just because a game has drugs in it doesn't mean it has to be pro-drug or even controversial. It could be very ANTI-drug, which is what the idea that started all this in the first place is. Overcoming the game would mean your character overcomes the drug, eh? The drug is the enemy."

Rockstar is the "Matt Stone and Trey Parker" of videogames. Meaning, they can do whatever they want and get away with it. Because it is great business, they always know what they are doing, always make great games, and for those listed reasons no one wants to touch them. Anyone who cries wolf just looks like some "paranoid christian soccer mom" as I believe DualReaver (sorry if that was someone else!) put it.

Unless Rockstar has you do something truly terrible, like assassinate the President or bomb a school for special needs kids, they can get away with anything.

P.S. I'm not disagreeing with you on the overall theme of this topic, I think drugs should be used in more creative ways and I would love to see them in more videogames.
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "LuckyWanderDude said:
    Doom and mortal kombat were controversial based on violence. Drugs are considered worse (for some reason....) by a lot of people. Furthermore, I like the idea of a game that is ABLE to be pro-drug and still have an audience. I want games to take a stance."
    Well, that's different. If you're talking about a game being pro-drug, you can bet your ass, balls and wife that it will be controversial. To say that any game based on drugs would be equally so seems foolish. It would be controversial, but all "art" that truly advances and innovates is controversial in some way. Look at The Who."
    I agree. I want controversial games but what I'm saying is that Doom, GTA and Mortal Kombat are the exception not the rule. For every successful controversial game there are dozens more that are to "offensive/sensitive" to be made. I want that to end and the only way that will be possible is through a business paradigm-shift within the game industry.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiggerBomb said:
    I'm not disagreeing with you
    AH SO THEN YOU ARE TEH AGREE
    LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LuckyWanderDude
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    AH SO THEN YOU ARE TEH AGREE"
    Me too dude!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    LuckyWanderDude said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    AH SO THEN YOU ARE TEH AGREE"
    Me too dude!"
    no u r teh soccer mom and this is y
    LuckyWanderDude said:
     The point is, games like that don't get made because they don't matter.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By Demyx

Yay.

Sounds like a great idea

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jerr
    Arkthemaniac said:
    Yay or Nay?
    "
    Haha, well Flow was kind of a trip.
    FotherMucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FotherMucker

Play Killer 7. It's the closest you're going to get to a drug endused thrill without actually having to buy any!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187
    FotherMucker said:
    "Play Killer 7. It's the closest you're going to get to a drug endused thrill without actually having to buy any!"
    Watching Oliver Stone's "The Doors" does that to me.  =  /
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's because video games are for children. Everyone knows that.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By hazelnutman

I'm going to be very frank:
    Most devs don't have that kind of courage to make something that could spark contriversy like that.

But a game completely based on using drugs to your advantage while controlling the side-effects could be crazy fun.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb
    hazelnutman said:
    "I'm going to be very frank:
    Most devs don't have that kind of courage to make something that could spark contriversy like that.

But a game completely based on using drugs to your advantage while controlling the side-effects could be crazy fun."

Three words: Rockstar.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    hazelnutman said:
    "I'm going to be very frank:

But a game completely based on using drugs to your advantage while controlling the side-effects could be crazy fun."
    You do understand that that's not what I mean, right?
    Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
    deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YAY, remeber that oblivion mission, where you have to go into the painting to find the lost man? it could be like that or something. there was an awesome art style in that painting.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "guiseppe said:
    Who said it was positive? That hallucination could be TOTALLY FUCKED UP. Demons and stuff, you know?"
    Why can't people do that without having to put in a drug storyline?
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Absurd

I see what you mean but, I'm not sure that would work. If I understand what you mean: basically the protagonist is in his own fucked up world with demons, or whatever and this whole adventure is caused by him being on a drug trip?

Also I keep thinking of this:

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By bjorno

NAY, WINNERS dont DARE do drugs.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#41  Edited By joey

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Arkthemaniac

^^^^^^^^Holy balls, I forgot about that. That's my favorite level ever. The music is priceless once you get high.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yay to this idea  [.]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.