Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2011

Concept »

The 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 7-9.

E3 2011 Microsoft Kinect Focus :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

padrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 13

Edited By padrino

The MS press event was about as dull as I thought it would be. And way too much Kinect stuff and not much else. I just don't understand MS focus on the kinds of motion gameing that the core gamers will only see as a distraction. If motion gaming was the right direction, the best Wii games would not be games that barely use motion controls (or not at all). Also, having a weapon customization interface that works on grand Kinect gestures?! What are you supposed to do, put down the controller while you config your weapon? Sure you could probably do it with the controller in your hand but at that point, just use the controller. It will be  faster, easier, and less prone to errors.  So, I can't get excited about MS in 2011/12 other than the great games that are coming.  Halo anniversary and Halo 4 were fine but not all that exciting. 

Basicly, MS E3 focused on the one aspect of Xbox that I could just not care less about, Kinect. I guess if you are a Kinect fan, you will be very happy since they are still touting the features of this device.  

padrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By padrino

The MS press event was about as dull as I thought it would be. And way too much Kinect stuff and not much else. I just don't understand MS focus on the kinds of motion gameing that the core gamers will only see as a distraction. If motion gaming was the right direction, the best Wii games would not be games that barely use motion controls (or not at all). Also, having a weapon customization interface that works on grand Kinect gestures?! What are you supposed to do, put down the controller while you config your weapon? Sure you could probably do it with the controller in your hand but at that point, just use the controller. It will be  faster, easier, and less prone to errors.  So, I can't get excited about MS in 2011/12 other than the great games that are coming.  Halo anniversary and Halo 4 were fine but not all that exciting. 

Basicly, MS E3 focused on the one aspect of Xbox that I could just not care less about, Kinect. I guess if you are a Kinect fan, you will be very happy since they are still touting the features of this device.  

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By galiant

Hah, yeah. It was pretty bad.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ghostiet

It's less about focus and more about not showing anything interesting or innovative for the Kinect. ME3's dialogue was kind of silly and that's it, the rest is on rails.

padrino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By padrino
    @Ghostiet: Yeah, thats the other thing I don't like to see. The core games that use the Kinect tend to be implementing rails shooter mechanics. I am a big fan of rail shooters but since the Wii, its been overdone. I am not looking forward to more. That Fable/Kinect interface looked awful. The only audience for Kinect games seems to be kids under 10 (i.e. Sesame Street). 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By toowalrus

I'm going to watch the Sony press conference tonight, and if it's good, and if they can get all this hacking nonsense under control, I might just switch to PS3 for awhile.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vexxan

Alan Wake 2 could've saved it all for me at least but it was nowhere to be seen :(

Sooo much Kinect crap this year, and I'm still not interested.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BoFooQ

I agree with the on rails stuff too.  I did like the some of the voice control stuff as an add on to control games.  the thing I thought was the worst part is when dana white came out and is like, guess what now you can buy paypreview ufc fights on your xbox.  isn't that great another way for ufc tgo $60 a fight.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Gabriel

Come on you guys weren't psyched when Peter Moloneux was driving that horse....

WITH HIS HANDS?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Yanngc33

where was Alan Wake?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By iam3green

only thing that looked good was forza 4. maybe halo 1 remake and the new one. i won't be buying halo games but only things that looked great. i think they were too many kinect games. they were all towards more kids than what people are use to playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.