Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2014

Concept »

The twentieth Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 10-12, 2014 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

My not so live blog about E3 press conferences

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By Vinny_Says

Here's my thoughts about every game shown at the conferences at E3 2014. There were some good conferences and a shitty one and once again 3rd party games have me the most excited.

Microsoft

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

I felt like my love for this series was over, but something here managed to pique my interest. It looks sharp as hell but also seems like it plays pretty different from the last 6 games or so. Campaign hasn't been good since MW2, and although I'm still not interested in multiplayer, I'm excited to give this campaign a shot.

Forza Horizon 2

I love every Forza game, and Horizon is one of my favorite driving games ever. I can't wait to explore and go off-road in this new setting. I have a hard time imagining them fucking this up.

Assassin's Creed Unity

Looks beautiful and the co-op stuff looks interesting, and it helps that the last game (Black Flag) was one of the best in the series. Also they finally added a crouch/stealth mechanic so it can play more like splinter cell in certain environments....fucking awesome!

Sunset Overdrive

I'm still on the fence about this. Looks like Deadrising X Tony Hawk, two franchises I enjoy but don't go crazy over, so I have yet to see anything from this that makes me go "Whoa!" a la Black Rob.

Dead Rising 3 DLC

Genuinely funny reveal, really enjoyed watching that. As for the game? I'm still on the fence (see above), so if I ever get around to buying DR3 I will probably wait for a special edition that includes all the DLC.

Fable Legends

Deep combat and co-operative fun are at the bottom of the list of things I come to Fable for. They didn't show anything here that I actually want to get Fable Legends for.

Project Spark (feat. Conker)

One time I almost downloaded this from the games store, but then something came up. I have no love for Conker, but if someone remakes Bad Fur Day in it's entirety in Project Spark that would be insane.

Ori and the Blind Forest

Looks good and it doesn't use the played-out pixel art style, so that immediately makes me more interested. Hard to form an opinion with so little information though.

Master Chief Collection/Halo 5

Too bad they didn't show any campaign for Halo 5 but hey man they're giving us an enormous collection of games and I couldn't be more excited. I have all these games already, I can play them anytime, but I'm a sucka and I'm going to buy this anyway. I'll finally have achievements for Halo 2 after all this time (fuck Halo 2 Vista btw, can't even sword fly in that piece of shit).

Inside

That was one intense trailer, but much like Ori I can't really get excited with just a minute long trailer. Never played Limbo either, but I will one day.

ID @ XBOX

I'll say it again, fuck every game that uses pixel art, it's fucking bullshit and I hate it. They say don't judge a book by its cover, but if your game uses pixel art then fuck you and your game!

Having said that, yo that Cuphead game looks incredible, maybe the thing I'm most excited for, even though all I've seen is a quick trailer. Game studios need to stop with this pixel art bullshit, it's grating and new art styles need to happen in more games. Call me a shallow idiot but it's how I feel and I stand by it...fuck pixel art!

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider was a very fun game with shit multiplayer. Hopefully they realized this and only focus on singleplayer, and make a game with more tombs, less murder (but still some murder) more puzzles, and bigger worlds to explore.

The Witcher 3

I didn't play The Witcher and didn't enjoy The Witcher 2 but every single time they show The Witcher 3 I get more and more hyped. This looks incredible, and I hope it lives up to the expectations.

Phantom Dust

I'm happy for the 6 people who have been waiting for this since 2004 but there is a whole catalog of games I would have rather seen come back before this. Hopefully it works out and they decide to bring back some real good games, like Brute Force or Blinx the Time Cat....some real shit nah mean?

Tom Clancy's The Division

You are tasked by the US government to clean up NYC (NYC isn't Detroit, I don't see how the government would let New York turn into...that) . You use cover and shoot bullet sponges and can acquire "rare loot" and can have buddies drop in and out. It looks good but I'm not sure what it is they're trying to do here gameplay wise. Games that show up at 2 E3s in a row always leave me wondering.

Scalebound

Platinum games is making moves, they've got exclusive on like every console now. Nobody can really say what this is based only on a CGI trailer, but it seems kinda like....Lair, a game where you control dragons...hah!

Crackdown

I liked Crackdown but never played Crackdown 2. Superhero open world games have come a long way since 2007, so here's hoping they bring good things to the table in 2015.

Electronic Arts

Star Wars Battlefront

Huh okay so no actual gameplay, I guess I understand. Star Wars is stupid, and the hype for the new movies blows my mind, did you people just forget how pissed off you were after episodes 1-3? I'm the last person who would care about this, as I have no love for Star Wars or Battlefront, but it sucks that fans get nothing more than some short making-of featurette.

Dragon Age Inquisition

I liked Dragon Age 2 but I'm in the minority. This game has a lot to prove after Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3. Well it's cool that there was game footage, but that tactical view stuff was skipped over like an unwanted child.

New Mass Effect/ New Bioware Edmonton IP

Uhh okay we doing this Battlefront thing again? No gameplay or anything? Alright moving on.

The Sims 4

I feel no type of way about the Sims, this looks like every other game in the series. Good or bad? I couldn't tell.

EA Sports UFC

I can't wait to mount Bruce Lee and pound him repeatedly into submission.

NHL 15

Last NHL game I played was NHL 2005 and it was garbage. Is this the time to come back? How will I feel after 10 years away? What will I say when we meet after all this time? Should I go through with it? I'm all sorts of confused about this.

New Criterion IP

Ya'll fucking with me EA right? The fuck is up with these docu-dramas about game developers, I ain't here for this shit. A first person perspective extreme sports game? Shit looks disastrous (the first person part especially).

PGA Tour

Tiger Woods must be rolling in his grave seeing this battleship fantasy nonsense.

Madden 15 (or is it 16 I forget?)

I'm pretty sure they just printed the pitch they had saved on their computers in MS Word from last year and read it again.

Dawngate

Gotta get that MOBA money right? It ain't for me so I can't speculate but I doubt this will dethrone LOL on the front page of Twitch (that's the only way I can judge these games' popularity).

Mirror's Edge 2

No Caption Provided

Ubisoft can't be any worse...

FIFA 15

Better stadiums? You said that last year too! You focus on the pitch when you play FIFA, who gives a shit how good or bad the stands look?

Battlefield Hardline

This looks like a bad mod that I have to download off a shady website. I hope Visceral can rise again and give us something even one tenth as good as Dead Space, that's all I really want from EA.

Ubisoft

Just Dance 2015

If you drop a Wii-mote it is at worst a $40 loss. If you drop your smartphone that's a way different story.

The Crew

I really really hope that there actually are towers you have to climb (somehow) to unlock stuff in the open world. Horizon is coming out, so it's hard to get excited for this as well.

Shape Up

Okay this looks genuinely interesting. Doing pushups for high score seems like the right evolution of that Wii fitness stuff. Xbox already has a fitness game/app but kids can't really get excited for fitness with P90X style exercises. If this can help even one person reach their fitness goals then they've done their job.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War

Where's the EA "all the feels" guy when you need him?

Ubisoft is getting behind their Ubi-Art initiative and so far it's been paying off. Hope this game is good too.

Rainbow Six Siege

The French are a traditional people, and again we get the Yves moment thanking us and then giving us one extra game to end the show. How do you take the Rainbow Six concept and turn it into an adversarial shooter? Ubisoft believes they can do it. Let's see if this actually turns into anything or goes the way of RS Patriots.

Sony

Destiny

If you play Destiny on anything other than a PS4 you might as well take a shit into the disc slot of your non-PS4 console and play that because Destiny is shit unless it's on PS4!!!

At least that's how it feels sometimes with their promotion of this game. But on a serious note, this game lives or dies by the enemy A.I. Halo enemies were fun to fight and figure out their tactics, if these enemies just act like Borderlands enemies and rush me then forget it.

White Playstation 4

It's Glacier White muthafucka! I'm excited to see the giantbomb unpacking video.

The Order 1886

This looks amazing. The transitions from cutscene to gameplay are really impressive but they leave me wondering...upon repeat playthroughs will I be able to skip cutscenes and how will that work? I like a good cinematic but I like it even more when I can skip it.

Entwined

This game looks fun and seems like it can get extremely challenging (in a good way) if you have bad co-ordination. Not sure about this love story stuff though, seems kinda moist if you ask me.

Infamous Second Son DLC

Just like Deadrising 3 earlier I haven't played the base game (although here I don't need to, which is neat) but this reveal wasn't nearly as ridiculous and stupid as DR3'. If they release a GOTY edition I might get that.

Little Big Planet 3

Never enjoyed these games, but it's cool that it's finally coming to PS4 with all the previous games user generated content in tow.

BloodBorne

I'll bet the spiritual successor to this will be called BloodBound when it becomes multiplatform. The souls games are good, I hope this is good as well...what else can I say with only one CGI trailer shown?

Far Cry 4

It's been confirmed that you cannot skin an elephant. I'm out...seriously what differentiates a "majestic" elephant (producer's words not mine) from a "majestic" tiger or "majestic" great white. It's arbitrary bullshit if you ask me.

Seriously though this looks like genuine fun, just like the last game. Maybe the story will be worth a damn this time?

Dead Island 2

Dead Island was a giant flaming pile of garbage. I don't know how it ever became a platinum hit on any console.

Magicka 2

Great trailer.

Grim Fandango

Never played this.

Indie Games

FUCK PIXEL ART!!!

Let it Die

This is the sequel to Skate or Die right? Shit went dark...

Abzu

I can't wait to take a journey into the water to know.

Also what was up with them showing a screen for Flower and not saying anything about it? Did I just miss something?

No Man's Sky

I would of loved a live demo. The trailer was great and I'm excited to play this, but they haven't really said much about the actual gameplay :(

Playstation Now

I bough a Sony Bravia last Christmas and it had an awful screen mark, I returned it for another and it had the same problem. I eventually settled on a cheaper Samsung with far superior image quality and haven't looked back since. Sony TVs are overpriced, I'm not surprised they're bleeding money in the TV department.

Last of Us Remastered

I didn't enjoy Last of Us but 300 GOTY awards makes me think that some people did, so it's cool that they're bringing this to PS4.

MGS5: Phantom Pain

That was a weird trailer even by MGS standards. I'm still hyped for this, if it ever comes out one of these days.

Batman Arkham Knight

Looking at this after playing Arkham Origins felt like comparing Mario Kart 64 with Mario Kart 8. Arkham Knight just looks mindblowingly good. Leagues ahead of anything else out there.

But then Batman glided around a bit, beat up some dudes and interrogated a bad guy....I don't know if I can play another Arkham game, no matter how good it looks and I doubt the batmobile will be enough to get me back on board.

I'm so sad, I want to love and play this beautiful game, but it looks like yet another Arkham game :(

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

It's not a prequel....good!

Again I can't really say much with one quick trailer like this.

Nintendo

Super Smash Brothers

My history with Smash is to have my ass whooped repeatedly by my friends who owned the game and only used jigglypuff and then proceeded to act all high and mighty about it. I'm never going to play or buy this game so let's just move on.

Amibo

Pokemon cards with RFID chips in them. There you go nintendo, I just made you 500 million dollars, you're welcome.

Yarn Yoshi (I forgot the actual name)

They're really gonna use that SNES era egg throwing mechanic on a modern console WITH A TOUCHSCREEN? I'm with Jeff, fuck this shit. I was actually excited for this before I saw what they were actually up to.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

It was cool to do once per overworld but to have a whole game of these puzzles? i don't know man, hopefully there's more to it that they have yet to show.

Zelda WiiU

They're saying the right things to get me excited about a console Zelda (handheld is where I'm at when it comes to Zelda) but they aren't showing much. Big open world means nothing if it's a big empty field (I'm looking at you Ocarina of Time).

Bayonetta 2

They are including Bayonetta 1 in Bayonetta 2. The smartest move nintendo has made in years.

Hyrule Warriors

Didn't Zelda invent Z-targetting?

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse

They're making a sequel to one of the best nintendo DS games of all time? Hell ya nintendo good on ya!

Xenoblade Chronicles

♫ANIME ROBOTS AND PEOPLE DISCOVERING THEMSELVES WHILE FIGHTING EVIL THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT YEAH YEAH♫

Mario Maker

I fear they'll find a way to mess this up real bad so I'm cautiously optimistic for now.

Splatoon

This looks genuinely cool, but that presentation...man it's like they just discovered what a competitive shooter was. It's cool that nintendo is getting behind this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.