Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

What devs at E3 were saying about Project Scorpio and PlayStation Neo

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Article : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/275195/What_devs_at_E3_were_saying_about_Project_Scorpio_and_PlayStation_Neo.php

"Unsurprisingly, many of the developers we talked to that were most excited about the improved hardware were affiliated with Xbox’s ID @ Xbox program"

A few quotes:

We already support players on PC so we’re already dealing with a breadth of benchmarks," he notes. "This is no different.” - Morgan Jaffit (Hand of Fate 2)

“I think as long as the hardware architecture are of the same family of hardware architecture and the general operating systems don't change, it's really just a question of scaling like we would do on PC,” he explained. - Gilliaume Provost (We Happy Few)

“I like the way it expands what we can do," he says. "I like the way we can show off a little bit more and do some cool things,” he said. - Mike Bithell

“I think its a tough sell,” says Raj Joshi, 17 Bit’s studio director. “I remember back in the N64 days when I got that big cartridge thing to upgrade graphics power…but now the idea of forking out another four hundred bucks is somewhat unappealing to players.”

Perhaps most interesting:

But the most surprising fact at E3 was how many of the developers we casually polled around the show floor hadn’t heard of Project Scorpio or the PS4 Neo yet. They were busy presenting games, or had been heads-down prepping demos, and had not had a moment to watch Monday’s press conferences.

Just an interesting article I thought to share - it seems as though the opinions are fairly divided but leaning toward "it's a good thing". What do you guys think? Is it most likely to be a matter of scaling like the current PC environment? Would you pick up a Scorpio if it meant 60fps gaming on that console was close to comparable to PC?

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zombievac

I'm all for both, actually - it's the only way the consoles are going to compete in the higher-end market segment that has been moving to the PC in droves because of the underpowered consoles with a lack of good exclusives - plus, the way Sony claims to be setting it up, it wouldn't leave out people who own the original PS4 at all. So it's good, simply more choice for the consumer.

HOWEVER, The Scorpio WAS a good idea in my opinion, until MS just claimed it would only support 4K - that is asinine and impossible with the specs the Scorpio is going to have, unless you want the graphical fidelity of a PS2 game running at 4K rez. I don't know who over there at MS thought that was a good plan - it's ridiculous. If they don't back off that stance ASAP, they've sealed me into the Sony ecosystem for another few years at least (I do own both consoles currently, but I haven't finished even one game on the XBOne since all the ones I want are on PC anyway)! I thought the Scorpio was enticing because it was more of an upgrade than the PS4.5 is going to be, but not if it only runs at 4k...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@zombievac: Good news! All the games you want on Xbox will continue to be on PC!

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Tabata had never heard of it until the Xbox presser.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.