Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

EA fires a ton of people. Redwood Shores, Black Box, Mythic, ect.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
    " http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25999

"
    EA Black Box is best known as the home for a library of
    Need for Speed racing games, as well as the well-received Skate franchise. Tiburon is EA's Florida studio responsible for the popular Madden NFL series of sports games. Mythic Entertainment, acquired in 2006, developed the MMO Warhammer Online and also maintains Ultima Online.

EA Redwood Shores is the publisher's headquarters, and is the site of various studios including Visceral Games (
    Dead Space), the Tiger Woods PGA Tour team, and The Sims team."

Yikes, 40% of Mythic! That's 80 people. I hope Carrie Gouskos and Paul Barnett  are safe. Can the GB guys check up on that?
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Ouch, hearing this is terrible. Not only at the loss of jobs, but how short-sighted it seems.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I hope Paul Barnett and Josh Drescher are ok.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cheapoz

They'll have plenty of time on their hands now for MW2 MP.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adamantium

That sucks. Too bad EA bet way too much on Warhammer and it flopped. Same as always, the man squeezes out the little people for more profit. Maybe a new dev studio will spring to life because of this.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By penguindust

I just checked his Twitter and Jeff Green is "okay on his end".  In case you are unfamiliar, Jeff Green used to work for 1Up/Ziff Davis in charge of Computer Gaming World/Games for Window before moving off to EA where he did some writing on the My Sims franchise.  He is now director of EA.com I believe.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1

ow. that sucks to hear, but hey at least..  

@Cheapoz said:

" They'll have plenty of time on their hands now for MW2 MP. "
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer for those people, but will WAR online still keep going? I have a friend who plays that game a lot. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

wow, that is a lot of game developers on the outside all of a sudden.  Wonder where they will go.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

'Tis the season for gutlessly laying off massive numbers of people and digging deeper into this crippling unemployment rate. Bet they're now happy they were "acquired".

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89

Sounds like EA to me.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jimbo

Sucks for the individuals concerned but there's only so much deadwood one company can carry.  

They have a couple of great developers (Bioware, Criterion, Sports) but they have about a dozen other studios that just haven't kept pace with their competitors. Westwood have run C&C into the ground,  Battlefield (DICE) is now just substandard CoD, Army of Two is substandard Gears, Warhammer Online is an unimaginative WoW rip-off, Medal of Honor was done as soon as everybody left to form Infinity Ward, and Need for Speed isn't even the best racing franchise out of EA anymore.  Maxis got taken off of The Sims (one zillion units sold), to go work on Spore - which is completely insane.

EA are like a graveyard for once (or never) relevant franchises and developers.  They don't take the lead on anything, they just follow others but never do it quite as well.  Honestly, it's about time they started shitcanning some of their tired franchises and studios that aren't pulling their weight.  No company should own Bioware, The Sims franchise, EA sports and still be losing $1 billion a year - that's just wreckless mismanagement and too much fat.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

dang that sucks for people that work at EA. i bet now people are going to be worried about if their keeping their jobs or not. it would be great if the people that got laid off made a new game studio. it would be a lot but it would be great if they came out with good games.

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fynne

That sucks but I can't say that I'm really surprised.  When your financials are bad you always do layoffs.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By TheJollyRajah
    @Jimbo: Battlefield is not substandard CoD. What an ignorant statement. 
    raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raviolisumo

Is Jeff Green safe?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jimbo
    @TheJollyRajah said:
    " @Jimbo: Battlefield is not substandard CoD. What an ignorant statement.  "
    Bad Company - which is now the main focus of the Battlefield franchise - is EA's current rival to Activision's Modern Warfare franchise.  It is overwhelmingly considered to not be as good as Modern Warfare (which franchise do you think EA would rather have?).  If you think it's of equal or higher standard to Modern Warfare then that's great, but you are in the minority.  

That's exactly EA's problem; Bad Company is a good game, sure, but it's one example of the many areas where EA are always playing catch-up with other publishers - see also N4S Shift (chasing Forza's success) and TOR (chasing WoW's success).  When was the last time EA beat everybody else to the punch on something really big?  The Sims?
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Jimbo: don't forget they also have Harmonix on their side, which i'm sure brings in some nice cash on their end aswell.

EDIT: But yea...C&C started going downhill for me as soon as the Westwood name was dropped, never been big on MoH, but Allied Assault seemed to be the point where they jumped the shark, Mirror's Edge is so-so (it's got good bits...but it still needs to shave off the annoying/bad bits), Dead Space is resi 4 in space (take that how you will)....and....yea, they've killed off atleast a dozen good companies over the last 15 years, so not much sympathy for them in all honesty.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's awful. On the flipside, they can try and get work with a good studio.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

Carrie was at Mythic....

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By rateoforange

I think his point is that the Battlefield series and CoD series are fundamentally different games with different focuses. If we're talking in terms of the (ugh) mindshare the respective properties have, obviously CoD has more. But BF is not a 'version' of CoD.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By TheHBK

Heard Carrie got fired.  I guess we will be hearing her on the next Bombcast.  Do these guys just invite people are not out of work and homeless?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TwoOneFive

wait what? 
    did they fire people who work on madden?  
    that game sells millions every year....

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimbo
    @rateoforange said:
    " I think his point is that the Battlefield series and CoD series are fundamentally different games with different focuses. "
    Which might have been true once but isn't anymore, surely?  Battlefield has become BF:Bad Company and it's straight-up EA's answer to Modern Warfare - they are both AAA first person console shooters, in a modern war setting, going after exactly the same players in exactly the same market.  

That's what I'm saying, this is EA's MO nowadays, spot the trends and then get there a day late and a buck short, and that attitude is losing them money hand over fist - they need to start setting the trends.  If scaling back on their 'me-too' studios allows them to try and do that, then that's absolutely what they have to do.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scooper

;(. On the plus side, we might see some guests on the bombcast. But ;(

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Jimbo said:

When was the last time EA beat everybody else to the punch on something really big?

Rock Band isn't the first of its kind, but it sure as hell surpassed Guitar Hero in terms of quality.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By metal_mills
    @TheHBK said:
    " Heard Carrie got fired.  I guess we will be hearing her on the next Bombcast.  Do these guys just invite people are not out of work and homeless? "
    She did? That sucks. :(
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Seedofpower

Wow, thats a swift kick in the nuts for the pretty good games. Oh well, hard times man, hard times.
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meltac

That really sucks. Feel sorry for those who got fired, escpecially because I really like EA. They have really improved, and made some big changes, and taken a lot of risks. You can only hope, that the people will start some new companies =)

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
    @Metal_Mills said:

" @TheHBK said:

" Heard Carrie got fired.  I guess we will be hearing her on the next Bombcast.  Do these guys just invite people are not out of work and homeless? "
    She did? That sucks. :( "
    Nope, she didn't.

" @petterm In a manner of speaking, yes. I'm employed still. Thanks for checking in."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.