Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 27, 2013

A 3DS remake of the original Etrian Odyssey. The game will be the first to include a set party of named characters with a more focused, fleshed-out story.

EO4 or EO Untold?

alevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hey guys need a suggestion, I want to try the Etrian Odyssey games out.

Question is should I get EO4 or EO Untold?
    Which is better for someone who knows nothing about the series?
    Which one is better overall?
    Thanks!

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TheMathlete

I'm also interested in this series and am wondering which to pick up. Haven't tried the demos out but I'd like to get some comparisons from people who have played them.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zeik

If you want to play a "real" Etrian Odyssey I'd go for EO4 first. Untold is kind of an experimental EO game. It does have a classic mode, but even then the game is kind of a different beast.

But if you don't care about that and you really need some straightforward story and character development you might enjoy Untold more.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Etrian 4 is realllllyyy good. It was my first game in the series and I got along pretty well.

EO:U seems a lot more difficult (story mode at least) but still seems pretty awesome as well.

Highly recommend checking out one of the demos first. Your progress also carries over from demo to the real thing, so theres not really any reason to not check out the demo.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd advise EO 4 first if you don't mind the lack of a story mode. That is how the series has always been. If you want something just a tiny bit more mainstream go for EO:MG either way you are picking a winner.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bump! I've heard Untold isn't exactly a conventional EO game. I've never played one, but want to before Persona Q comes out. So, which one is going to be more like Persona Q in terms of gameplay, from what little we've seen?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump! I've heard Untold isn't exactly a conventional EO game. I've never played one, but want to before Persona Q comes out. So, which one is going to be more like Persona Q in terms of gameplay, from what little we've seen?

In terms of gameplay they're probably both about equal. Neither are going to have the things that will be unique to Q, and the rest of the stuff generally applies to both.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Etrian Odyssey IV is the better game, I think, but not by much. Your party contains no defined characters. Instead, you pick a class and then a character design (which is just a piece of artwork and it's all you'll ever see of the character). It's got more skills, and the game's biggest appeal is how well and how flexibly all of the characters mix and match.

Etrian Odyssey Untold has a classic mode where it's supposed to play more like IV, but I haven't played any of that yet. The story mode does contain four defined characters and yourself, and all of them are already classed. You also have less skills to choose from. The story mode's gameplay definitely isn't as flexible as EOIV's, but I still think the battles are very well-made and a lot of fun.

Either way, you're playing these games for grindy dungeon-crawl gameplay, not for story. Even in the case of Untold. I haven't even seen any gameplay of Persona Q so I don't know where all of the EO comparisons are coming from, but I'd be willing to bet that Persona Q isn't going to be just "Etrian Odyssey with a chibi Persona skin".

@esrever said:

Etrian 4 is realllllyyy good. It was my first game in the series and I got along pretty well.

EO:U seems a lot more difficult (story mode at least) but still seems pretty awesome as well.

Highly recommend checking out one of the demos first. Your progress also carries over from demo to the real thing, so theres not really any reason to not check out the demo.

Really? I started EO:U on the hardest difficulty, because I'm insane, and I felt like it was easier than EOIV on its normal difficulty. I haven't made it terribly far into the game, but I have played it some and it hasn't been crushingly difficult yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.