Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

Combo Breaker (May 22-24 - Live from Chicago!) Preview! PLUS M.Bison Street Fighter V trailer, New T7 character & more!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: Just makes certain inputs more difficult, seems like a learning curve thing (i.e. playing a fighting game that isn't MK). I did look for the option originally but failing to find it didn't seem to hurt me too badly. Instant air fan lift + njp is extremely short range (to the point of almost being useless outside of oki) apart from being relatively difficult to pull off consistently, I'd much rather use just a standard jump forward punch fan lift punch.

Maybe the legends (James Chen every tournament) will tell of how Chris G didn't turn off Negative Edge just like he doesn't plink.

Edit: Kung Jin still hits really damn hard. Oh noes my 41% now only does 38%, the horror!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By hassun

@ichthy: I think the ice klone now disappears if Sub blocks a hit.

Also, it looks like Blanche now has a stage Brutality.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They fixed the matchmaking for both lag and rating and apparently there's almost no one around my rating in player matches so guess I'm stuck doing ranked now. ubiquitous 90% win rates going to deteriorate down to 80% or something I suppose (people usually still aren't very good even if they have 200 wins and 100 losses or whatever).

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Can you elaborate on "fixed the matchmaking for both lag and rating"? Are you saying they are now correctly displayed or that people are getting less lag and are matched up with more adequate opponents or all of the above?

And what is the difference between now and before? Also which platform?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hassun: I tried getting that to work (the brutality), not really sure how you do it.

PS4 I've gotten a bunch of 50% chance to win matches in a row with 4 green bars (though that doesn't mean there's 0 lag in the match it generally means it's pretty good).

The Kitana invasion boss actually makes use of the new attack, also turns out if you play Kitana for like 50 hours you get pretty good at fighting against Kitana.

Huh.
    Huh.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@hassun: The ping bar is way more accurate when it shows you the connection stats. Also you can back out of ranked matches now if they don't at least have 3 bars.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Also, it looks like Blanche now has a stage Brutality.

Yesss! I look forward to seeing people explode by getting hit by the body of an old lady.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer Unless I'm doing the input wrong it doesn't seem like it's possible to hit a crouching character with instant float > njp.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Jack-7 got revealed. Well I expect returning folks in the next couple of weeks.

Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Doesn't Tekken need like at least 150 characters?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By hassun

Considering how absolutely terrible most of the new character designs are we'll have to rely on the known faces. Still looking forward to a new 1v1 Tekken though. Always preferred it over Tag.

In other news, Razer has signed a new fighting game player:

Question is, does this mean Itabashi Zangief is no longer on Team Razer? At first glance it seems like he's still sponsored by them. Maybe just a Twitter character limit thing.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer The response to REO's thread on TYM about the 50/50 is pretty funny, he's right though people will get hit by it for the same reason people get hit by raw dust in Guilty Gear; whatever your brain is expecting to come next is going to override your reactions most of the time.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toryuken team tournaments going on, twitch.tv/torontotoptiers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By hassun
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infiltration carrying StarmieG was pretty incredible.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infiltration winning the entire USFIV 2v2 tournament by himself. We're off to a good start.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Weren't there prizes attached to that?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@flstyle: Not quite as funny as the Jwong/ChrisG/FChamp team at NWM but I'll take it.

Some Russian MK going on at twitch.tv/netherrealm at present, players seem reasonably solid.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Fredchuckdave

MK play isn't too bad so far, certainly much better than the Texas pools though there's a lot less people there.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That Russian MKX stream totally has Russian Alex commentating, must be a celebrity commentator from Gamebomb.ru.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Wait what? Streamed at Justin Wong's personal Twitch channel?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Wait what? Streamed at Justin Wong's personal Twitch channel?

Yeah... Not sure what that's all about, Justin's idea maybe? Dunno.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash: For Combo Breaker Arturo Sanchez and Justin Wong are teaming up. The after hours content will therefore be streamed on Justin's channel.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: What's Justin's end of the bargain?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@flstyle: Views? "CPM"?

Views for his own channel though. Seems like an odd thing for Art to agree to, oh well. I'm sure he'll get something out of it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:
    @hassun said:

Views for his own channel though. Seems like an odd thing for Art to agree to, oh well. I'm sure he'll get something out of it.

Dunno, Justin gets a lot of casuals right? Maybe it's like advertising for Art's stream saying hey jwong fans, if you like what you're seeing, subscribe to my channel too.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle said:
    @hassun said:

Dunno, Justin gets a lot of casuals right? Maybe it's like advertising for Art's stream saying hey jwong fans, if you like what you're seeing, subscribe to my channel too.

Makes sense to me!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: @flstyle: @starvinggamer: Just plain old cross promotion, pretty simple. Art's ability to go on 20 minute discussions promoting stuff is legendary, all the while with that evil half cough half laugh going on.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's Very Hard Raiden kicking my ass post patch, I still think he's pretty good though the standard combos don't do even close to as much anymore:

Loading Video...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By hassun
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Funny but not really that significant.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gunshow is amazing, this commentator isn't.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally a good Swarm Queen D'Vorah. Hopefully someone will start blocking the overheads so that we can see if he has run cancels out of low.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: D'Vorah nerfs incoming. Every time a character wins a tournament, guaranteed. Kung Jin might have to win like 3 or 4 more to get nerfed again though, alas.

Edit: Commentator's growing on me a bit, just like the other canadian dude that was commentating the team tournaments. Can't resist canadian charm.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D'Vorah has been extremely good and recognised as such from the get-go though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hassun: Eh more on the periphery. Being harder to play makes you rarer at least to start with (though Venomous isn't too bad).

This D'Vorah mirror is actually pretty fascinating though.

I guess in a long set you have to use the X Ray at the most dramatic moment, D'Vorah's is one of the best in the game though so they probably could have landed it earlier.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By hassun

Canada, land of the bee.

@fredchuckdave: I think it's one of those typical cases where you wait until you know for sure the super move is going to kill if it lands.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Nah it was just a style play that would probably work, but provided you don't do it at predictable times the good ones are viable (not too sure about Sonya's though). Superman's in Injustice was like 0 frame startup so if you weren't blocking before it came out you'd get hit by it; pretty good balance methinks.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I dunno, I still think people will save it for a situation where it's a guaranteed kill with nearly every character including D'Vorah. Gotta make sure it kills so you're not sitting there metreless.

In other news, back to rooting against Infiltration because he's just been winning waaaaay too much recently. I really want K-Brad to get a win again.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: There are a few kinds of characters in MK, some have X-Rays that are awful and only use meter on special moves, there are some that have EX Special moves that are awful (or mostly awful) so they only use X-Rays, D'Vorah is somewhere inbetween so in that case you might be right but it really depends. If you look at Ferra/Torr's X-Ray there's no way to avoid it basically so you have to be standing and blocking no matter what and if you're in a situation where you think the opponent is going to do something else you get a ton of free damage (and Ferra/Torr's meter isn't super important) and usually a knockdown. It's not like Honeybee desperately needed the meter if the other D'Vorah was at 50% or whatever, especially given the tit for tat nature of the fights until then.

The question is "do I take the free 32-40% damage at the risk of giving my opponent a read?" Which it just depends on the player, if the player keeps doing X-Rays at similar times that's easy to exploit but if they do it at very random times then not so much. In MK X-Rays are a shitload better than Ultras are in Street Fighter so just never using X-Rays could just be weakening your game; though obviously Kazunoko is still around.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Combo Breaker might be the first event where the US takes all the top 3 spots, though mainly due to scheduling.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By hassun

@fredchuckdave: When I think of characters who freely X-Ray in MKX I think of Sonya (who has a counter X-Ray AND gets a combo off of it) and Ferra/Torr who can just incorporate it in a combo or get an easy punish with it.

COME ON K-BRAD!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@hassun: I really think Sonya's is dead in the water in tournaments now though (could be wrong), poor Sonya's will have to come up with some other way to use their meter.

Off the top of my head outside of wake-up Kitana and Mileena don't really have good ways to use their meter (aside from damage gain, I mean Mileena has an overhead mixup via EX-Ball but everyone blocks high against Mileena) and both X-Rays can be used as anti-airs. D'Vorah and Takeda both have reasons to use their meter but their X-Rays are also good. Raiden's X-Ray is extremely good but so are his meter burns so you only see it every once in a while. Kenshi's and Ermac's can be used as anti airs as well. The list goes on. Unless you're crazy on point with the Breaker it mostly only helps if you're in the lead and it pushes the opponent back in the corner, not to say the breaker isn't good but it usually just delays the inevitable. I mean REO barely used it and he's top 3 right now (obviously you wouldn't X-Ray with Kung Jin).

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By hassun

@fredchuckdave:Yeah if you're a character who doesn't really require a lot of metre to combo or play in general you can use the threat of a random X-Ray quite well of course.

@l1ghtn1n: If he manages to win Stunfest as well he's far and away the current favourite for the CapCup. Europe and Asia will be out in force there and we all know the Americas are already free to him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.