Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Convince me that Yahtzee is wrong

• 54 results
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats
      http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2652-Fable-3
    (yo, spoilers inside)

Watched it? Good.

Now I haven't played Fable 3. And I know that when I play a game and watch Yahtzee's reviews I usually have an "OK, but" moment where I can pretty much identify why things were done the way they were, whether it worked out or not. So can somebody explain to me in what way Yahtzee is wrong about the way that Fable 3 ends.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

But it's fun. And funny.  

Also, he didn't even talk about the real problems with that game, like the near-useless map, and the framerate troubles. 

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By august

You realize that the ending of this game has been lambasted in detail on the Bombcast, right?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By mazik765

Because Yahtzee is an arrogant dick and if you value his opinion that much you're probably a lost cause already?

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Aronman789

Its okay dude, cause there's so much mods on the nexus that make it so much bet- 
    oh wait.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @mazik765 said:
    " Because Yahtzee is an arrogant dick and if you value his opinion that much you're probably a lost cause already? "
    This. I mean, his videos are funny, but he complains about everything. I don't think I've ever seen him say a game is good (though aside from that Fable III one, I haven't watched any of his stuff in YEARS). 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee
    @mazik765 said:
    " Because Yahtzee is an arrogant dick and if you value his opinion that much you're probably a lost cause already? "
    Case closed.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nintendoeats
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" @mazik765 said:

This. I mean, his videos are funny, but he complains about everything. I don't think I've ever seen him say a game is good (though aside from that Fable III one, I haven't watched any of his stuff in YEARS).  "
    Well, there was Portal.

EDIT: but none of this is useful, because I'm curious about the specific way in which he might be wrong. I'm not pretending that the game ends well (I've certainly heard lots of bitching) but I'm wondering if there is any point on which he has seriously missed the mark.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

You guys are missing the point by a rather large margin.

Yes, the way he describes the ending is accurate. No, he's not the only person to complain about it vehemently. Other people also have, including the dudes who run the website you are currently posting on.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats
    @august: Thankyou. I was aware that the Bombcast did some bitching on the subject, but I don't remember them getting into such detail. I just remember "the game cuts to the ending unexpectedly and that's bad"

God damn you Peter Molenyeux. Way to take a good idea and screw it up.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo

Watched it and it bored me to death. How anybody finds him funny is ridiculous.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @nintendoeats: Well, if you think about it, I'm pretty sure that each time time jumps forward in Fable III, the number of days it jumps forward increases. Not that I'm defending them, because it's dumb, but whatever.  

Just build up enough money without doing any of the king stuff. Then you'll be fine. 
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " Watched it and it bored me to death. How anybody finds him funny is ridiculous. "
    I'm really not sure why some people don't think he is funny. *shrug*
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FlyingRat

I don't understand why some people don't realize that Yathzee is playing a character and has determined before he even starts playing a game that he'll be a dick about it in the review. Cause that's his thing. That's what he does. He used to be positive about games in his old reviews, but people didn't like that, so he stopped.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

I'm amazed that people still find Yahtzee's one-joke caricature entertaining.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

I'm amazed people get offended by Yahtzee.  His video's are supposed to be a lighthearted ribbing of any game whether it's a hit or not.  It's like a roast for video games.  If you don't find him funny thats cool, but getting offended by him would be like getting offended by Greg Giraldo (RIP).

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jkz

Yahtzee may only criticise games, but at least he knows how to critique games, unlike almost all the game critics who are currently working.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nintendoeats

Why does every thread about Yahtzee's opinion come down to people either saying "I think Yahtzee is funny" or "I don not think Yahtzee is funny"?

The fact is, if you read his blog Extra Punctuation its pretty clear that what he is doing is an odd combination of serious criticism and overly-agressive comedy. He has some very detailed views about stuff that he mentions in the videos that goes beyond mere trolling. Not that he doesn't do that too.

The point is that by emphasizing the negative to an extreme, Yahtzee provides a viewpoint that allows you to examine games in a very productive way. Even if he is ultimately wrong about something, that tells you something meaningful as well.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vinchenzo said:
    " Watched it and it bored me to death. How anybody finds him funny is ridiculous. "
    It was funny before he started taking on well-liked games an complained about them being the worst shit ever and then inserting an "oh by the way, I liked the game" at the end.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoeats
    @jukezypoo said:
    " Yahtzee may only criticise games, but at least he knows how to critique games, unlike almost all the game critics who are currently working. "
    This is somewhat true. I think that what Yahtzee does is a lot less like a product review and feels a lot more like artistic criticism. which is pretty much directly opposed to every other game reviewer ever.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By vidiot

Wrong as in for this one game? Or wrong as "in general". I rarely agree with this guy, and I find notions of people considering him a "reviewer" kinda strange. Clearly he has a very specific taste in games, which is commendable. It's when he's matched with something that obviously isn't going to jive with his very jaded personal bias, that his little verbal sessions usually write themselves. Sometimes having a vocal negative view-point on a popular game is healthy, especially given what feels like a white-wash of opinions when it comes to certain games with reviews. 
    I don't like heavy contrarian exclamations though, and his opinions usually run the gambit of an honest insight to something wrong, and being a troll.

Oh, and he's not funny. :/

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aronman789

Oh man, I went back to actually watch the video and that was actually quite funny. 
    Also I think Fable games are shit.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nintendoeats
    @vidiot said:
    " Wrong as in for this one game? Or wrong as "in general". "
    Well the topic in the Fable 3 board, and there is a link to his review of Fable 3...
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch3burashka

Fable 3 was panned across the board, and many of the reviews cited the end-game to be a big deal-breaker. So yes, he's more or less in line with everyone else. 

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By hockeymask27

Why would you need to be convinced someone opinion is wrong? Just make your own.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By mutha3

Every time I see Yahtzee's name pop up it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with internet people.

Dude is a one-trick pony, yet he's been at this shit for years. Goddamn.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @mazik765 said:
    "Because Yahtzee is an arrogant dick and if you value his opinion that much you're probably a lost cause already? "

He's right about pretty much everything
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Hockeymask27: Because I haven't played it, and don't plan to for some time, and I was curious.

And I've noticed that people like the opportunity to disagree with Yahtzee.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dragonzord
    @Brendan said:
    " I'm amazed people get offended by Yahtzee.  His video's are supposed to be a lighthearted ribbing of any game whether it's a hit or not.  It's like a roast for video games.  If you don't find him funny thats cool, but getting offended by him would be like getting offended by Greg Giraldo (RIP). "
    Yet he gets mad if you don't take his opinion seriously.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " Yahtzee may only criticise games, but at least he knows how to critique games, unlike almost all the game critics who are currently working. "
    This is somewhat true. I think that what Yahtzee does is a lot less like a product review and feels a lot more like artistic criticism. which is pretty much directly opposed to every other game reviewer ever. "

What he does is show why the majority of games today aren't everything they could be, and why they shouldn't be held in such high regard. In this case Fable III is not only the worst game in the series, it's also just another fable. Who really cares.  

All yahtzee does is protest to better games, he's giving an opinion and in most cases he's right. People who don't like him, or say not to take him seriously just don't understand the fucking point. They also seem to forget he himself is a freelance game writer and he just wants people to hold games to a higher regard. Something that will never happen when we keep praising things with such stupid plots/plot holes as the game in question right now.  

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By august
    @zoner said:
    " @Brendan said:
    " I'm amazed people get offended by Yahtzee.  His video's are supposed to be a lighthearted ribbing of any game whether it's a hit or not.  It's like a roast for video games.  If you don't find him funny thats cool, but getting offended by him would be like getting offended by Greg Giraldo (RIP). "
    Yet he gets mad if you don't take his opinion seriously. "
    Example?
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By davidwitten22

This is to everyone on Giantbomb. Next time you decide to start a thread and start it with "convince me...", punch yourself in the face. Please.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @nintendoeats:
    It's fucking Fable man.  

Give it a rent, and forget about it. There's nothing special here.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By cornbredx
    @MooseyMcMan:  Psychonauts, Amnesia The Dark Descent, Silent Hill 2

Just to name a few. He did a best and worst of 2010 video recently, if you want to know what he liked in 2010 (one of his favorites of 2010 being Amnesia Dark Descent).
    Just letting ya know cus you said you didn't know. 

He actually reviewed Psychonauts years ago (around when he first started) and couldn't think of a mean thing to say about it- which he mentions in the review that its odd for him so if I remember he nit picks at the game then goes on to say that the game is actually good despite any of its flaws. Something like that.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @mazik765 said:
    This. I mean, his videos are funny, but he complains about everything. I don't think I've ever seen him say a game is good (though aside from that Fable III one, I haven't watched any of his stuff in YEARS).  "
    Then you have not watched all his videos. There are about three games he adores. 
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nintendoeats
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " This is to everyone on Giantbomb. Next time you decide to start a thread and start it with "convince me...", punch yourself in the face. Please. "
    Why? It seems pretty healthy to me. This whole open-mindedness thing. And asking for input on things. Letting people voice their opinions...

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:
    " @nintendoeats: It's fucking Fable man.   Give it a rent, and forget about it. There's nothing special here. "

Yeeeeeeeeeeah. Or I could play the several other games on my listand wait until some time when its cheap and I don't have any games on the go. In my books "Nothing to see here" = wait until it costs 10 bucks and play it for 3 hours or so. But I have specific reasons for being that way.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats said:
    "   http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2652-Fable-3 (yo, spoilers inside)   Watched it? Good. Now I haven't played Fable 3. And I know that when I play a game and watch Yahtzee's reviews I usually have an "OK, but" moment where I can pretty much identify why things were done the way they were, whether it worked out or not. So can somebody explain to me in what way Yahtzee is wrong about the way that Fable 3 ends. "
    An opinion, wrong? What land do i live in.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By nintendoeats
    @EveretteScott said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    "   http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2652-Fable-3 (yo, spoilers inside)   Watched it? Good. Now I haven't played Fable 3. And I know that when I play a game and watch Yahtzee's reviews I usually have an "OK, but" moment where I can pretty much identify why things were done the way they were, whether it worked out or not. So can somebody explain to me in what way Yahtzee is wrong about the way that Fable 3 ends. "
    An opinion, wrong? What land do i live in. "
    Opinions can be wrong if they are based on false premises.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx

Forgot to give my input to OP. Sorry.

Just wanted to say I cant really endorse buying or playing Fable 3. I haven't played it, so my opinion immediately is void, but I gave up on Lionhead when they turned into con artists by making Fable 2 have no ending, and releasing DLC that only advertised they'd be making Fable 3. 

I have no respect anymore for Peter Molyneaux or Lionhead (for more reasons then listed, I'm just keeping it short).

That's all I'm gonna say, i've actually said it many times before so I don't wanna get off on a rant =P

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @EveretteScott said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    Opinions can be wrong if they are based on false premises. "

Like Christianity  

Ohhhh opened the shit storm box
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nintendoeats
    @xaLieNxGrEyx said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @EveretteScott said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    Like Christianity    Ohhhh opened the shit storm box "
    Well, technically the two things are not comparable because whether or not there is a personal god is statement of fact, not a value judgment. An objective fact can still be correct even if you argue it badly, an opinion built on falsehood is just inherently wrong.

But yeah, why did you open that box anyway?
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vidiot
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @vidiot said:
    Well the topic in the Fable 3 board, and there is a link to his review of Fable 3... "
    Fair enough, but I doubt that you'll find a legitimate counter-point that "he" brings up. 
    Fable 3 has tons of problems, and nothing negative that Yahtzee brings up in this review is new.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @CornBREDX said:

"Forgot to give my input to OP. Sorry.  Just wanted to say I cant really endorse buying or playing Fable 3. I haven't played it, so my opinion immediately is void, but I gave up on Lionhead when they turned into con artists by making Fable 2 have no ending, and releasing DLC that only advertised they'd be making Fable 3.   I have no respect anymore for Peter Molyneaux or Lionhead (for more reasons then listed, I'm just keeping it short). That's all I'm gonna say, i've actually said it many times before so I don't wanna get off on a rant =P "

You can sleep tonight knowing everything you just said is entirely true.  

Also I gave up on it all when Peter M. said Fable was going to be the end all be all RPG and make FF look like a kids toy or something.  

He seemed to fail to realize that FFVI, VII and IX (not getting into the VII arguement) are closer to masterpieces then his fuckstick of view can ever hope to acomplish.  

Also Chrono Trigger/Cross says hi Molyneaux you stupid cunt. Dumbass didn't want to make RPG's he wanted to make the fucking Sims with swords.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nintendoeats
    @vidiot said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @vidiot said:
    Well the topic in the Fable 3 board, and there is a link to his review of Fable 3... "
    Fair enough, but I doubt that you'll find a legitimate counter-point that "he" brings up.  Fable 3 has tons of problems, and nothing negative that Yahtzee brings up in this review is new. "
    And that's what I wanted to know.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @xaLieNxGrEyx said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @EveretteScott said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    Like Christianity    Ohhhh opened the shit storm box "
    Well, technically the two things are not comparable because whether or not there is a personal god is statement of fact, not a value judgment. An objective fact can still be correct even if you argue it badly, an opinion built on falsehood is just inherently wrong.

But yeah, why did you open that box anyway? "

Don't worry, you just closed it. Touche.  

However I'll protect to the death that it was still funny.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By vidiot
    @nintendoeats said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @nintendoeats said:
    " @vidiot said:
    Fair enough, but I doubt that you'll find a legitimate counter-point that "he" brings up.  Fable 3 has tons of problems, and nothing negative that Yahtzee brings up in this review is new. "
    And that's what I wanted to know. "
    Sorry about this, I need some more clarification: Why the emphasis on Yahtzee? 
    Why isn't the question about Fable 3 review's in general? I've watched this review twice now trying to find something new, and out-side of some negative metaphors, the problem considering specifically the game's ending is an echoing from multiple reviews from last year.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By nintendoeats
    @vidiot: Well firstly because I haven't been following Fable 3 very closely. Secondly, and more importantly, because as I alluded to in OP,  I am usually able to find specific points in his reviews where he complains about things that make reasonable sense in the context of the game. I was wondering if this was one of those situations. His review was just compounding my disinterest int he game, and I felt I should give it a fair shake.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By landon

Fable 3 sucks ass.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikkaQ

I even got the perfect ending and it was kinda lame. The game's just anticlimactic... it's a real bummer. 

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By wealllikepie

You guys realize that Yahtzee really is a full out troll, and the more you hate him, the more you "feed him" so to speak. Still, I enjoyed Yahtzee in the day and I still think that he makes a clever joke or two in his current reviews. Don't hate on him guys, it's just personal opinion

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.