Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Fable 3's menu system is not new.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

The menu system in Fable 3 has been getting a lot of attention because of how different it is than conventional games but may I point you to another excellent game, which is actually quite old and had an almost identical menu system.  

Terranigma!
     Terranigma!
    If you haven't played the game, basically what happens is that your character, Ark, takes out this little box and actually jumps into it. You find it at the beginning of the game, it's some sort of old relic. Inside the box are different rooms made for different things - a room for your weapons, a room for your stats, etc. Not too different from the menu system in Fable 3, wouldn't you say? 

The Armor Room
     The Armor Room
    As you can see there is a room with three other doors leading to different areas. Whenever you've decided what you want to wear, just select which room to go to and you'll have what you need.  

Anyway, this is just something I wanted to point out. Fable 3's system seems almost identical, except instead of switching rooms like you do in Terranigma, you just walk to a different part of the one room in Fable 3. The one in Terranigma works flawlessly and from what I've seen the one in Fable 3 does too.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valrog

Just like the Gun Game in Black Ops isn't new, but that won't stop ignorant "professional" journalists from praising it to death.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

I don't think anyone is really sitting around, freaking out that Fable III has a similar menu system to Terranigma. Menu systems can feel fresh and do the same thing something else does.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Lukeweizer

It's new to Fable.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By RavenX302

Whatever...its only a minu and not a make or break system for me in the game.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy
    @RavenX302: That's what I'm trying to point out, it's only a menu and people complaining about it should realize that it has been done before successfully.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By sixpin

Sadly,  Terranigma was never released in the US. I had to import the PAL version. It came in an oversized box though. That is probably why most journalists aren't comparing the two. I would venture to guess that more than half of journalists have never even heard of Terranigma. 

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By stinky
    @Lukeweizer said:
    " It's new to Fable. "
    this, no one said it was brand new never before seen.  
    literal space equaling navigation is an old idea used in many games.   
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince

Alright...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Cmdc00kie said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    "Also @valrog, you can't expect professional journalists to have played every game ever released and have knowledge of the origin of every concept and gameplay mechanic that has ever existed. You dumb fuck.  "
    Ya except that "one game" happens to be counter-strike which is agruably one of the most popular pc games so chances are they played it or have heard it. "
    What game journalist has praised Black Ops for its unique mode by the name of Gun Game?  We all know it's from Counter-Strike; some of us are just psyched to see it implemented in a CoD game.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jelekeloy
    @xyzygy said:
    " @RavenX302: That's what I'm trying to point out, it's only a menu and people complaining about it should realize that it has been done before successfully. "
    Sure, but in Brad's eyes (maybe other reviewers' too, I don't know) it was not done successfully in this case.  That said, it's his opinion and not the only gripe he has with the game.  

The game looks really cool, and it's one of a few that makes me want a 360.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    @jelekeloy said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @RavenX302: That's what I'm trying to point out, it's only a menu and people complaining about it should realize that it has been done before successfully. "

Sure, but in Brad's eyes (maybe other reviewers' too, I don't know) it was not done successfully in this case.  That said, it's his opinion and not the only gripe he has with the game.    The game looks really cool, and it's one of a few that makes me want a 360. "
    Other reviewers said that the system was amazing and seamless and didn't mention anything about the complaints the Brad has with the system. 

@stinky said:

" @Lukeweizer said:

" It's new to Fable. "
    this, no one said it was brand new never before seen.  literal space equaling navigation is an old idea used in many games.    "
    I didn't say anything about it being brand new, you're putting words in my mouth. I f you look in my first sentence, I say "different than conventional games". How many games, this generation, have a menu system like it? Bet you can think of very many? I realize that it's new to Fable, but it's not new to games in general. That's why I made the thread, to show people similarities and I just found it funny. I guess I'm just kinda thinking that maybe this is where they got a bit of the idea from.
    jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By jelekeloy
    @xyzygy: 
    Well then isn't it unfortunate that Brad thought for himself and decided that it detracted from his experience.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By vidiot

It's the terminology that kinda bothers me. Fable 3 aside, a form of gameplay mechanic adaptation being called "streamlined" or "evolved", when mechanically it's just a reinterpretation. The question then is: Does the mechanic do a good job functioning as an alternative. From the looks of Fable 3, reading most of the reviews so far, it hit's a very large subjective territory. 

So yeah, I can see where some people might roll their eye's in this instance when a game get's heaps of attention for an unorthodox menu system. Especially with such a strong comparison like this. The discussion should be how it functions, which Brad's review illustrates, not that Lionhead chose this manner for your inventory. In other words: Forget that they made this choice, and consider "Is it a good alternative to the previous title?"

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Interesting, although it must be said that Fable III has essentially introduced the menu system to modern gaming.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
    @vidiot: Very well said. +1 points for you!
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

People like to say "This obscure 90's game did it first!"

But whoever says that is the only person who gives an honest fuck about that game. 

Fable III has done it in such a way that it is actually of note in the present day. 20 years from now another game will do it, people will cry Fable did it first but no one will care because in the moment its new.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Terranigma was not an obscure title.  It was a hit when it was released.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Very interesting, but I never remember hearing anybody say this was brand new. Just new to Fable.

iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iKANNIBAL

Why do people always do this? its like when Inception came out and someone posted a topic "Inception is not new, a Disney comic used the same concept years ago!" lol.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

are they exactly alike the menus? as for that I really don't care the menu system in fable 3 is currently my most hated part...imagine the memory, and system resources and disc space used by the stupid menu system in fable 3...all stuff that could have gone to making the game better...I mean crap the resources it takes to have the menu system ready to load up at any time could have been made to make the FPS in this game remain constant...

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
    deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you can chop down trees and watch them grow

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Moonshadow101

Whether or not it's "new" is completely irrelevant. All that matters is if it works or not.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy
    @wasteguru said:

" Very interesting, but I never remember hearing anybody say this was brand new. Just new to Fable. "

I never said that. I don't know where people are getting it from that I'm saying it's brand new, I'm saying that Terranigma did it in 2 dimensions for that generation of gaming, and now Fable 3 did it for this generation. 

Just read the first sentence of the original post. It says "different than most conventional games". That does not mean "is a brand new concept". 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @xyzygy: yeah I guess you never said it in your actual post. It was just kind of implied thats what you were saying by the thread title.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @wasteguru: Yeah you're right. It's too bad I can't edit the title :P
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#27  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Actually, the way it is made kinda reminds me of the interior of the Temple in Black and White, another Lionhead game. You had the option of using simple menus outside of the Temple in order to save and change options, but the map, your creature cave, stats etc are in different rooms. Kinda like in Fable 3. I haven't played it yet, still waiting for it to arrive in the mail, but this is from what I saw in the QL. 

Also, it doesn't matter if it is new or not, as long as it works. That cannot be said enough.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mesoian
    @xyzygy: Oh god, my childhood. 

Well still, Terranigma's equpt system was still basically a pretty menu. You didn't walk around in some odd space, and even though doors represented different equpt styles, you could always quickly select articles rather than having to walk up to ensembles. Similar, but different. Though that was mostly limitations of the SNES, I'm sure they would have loved to do the whole walking around thing.

Plus you always had your map. 

Man, I should finish that game. I got to Tokyo and got lost and never finished it.
    StLucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StLucifer

I dont see any problem with the menu system in fable 3. It's easily better than fable 2s menu system

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ

Meh original or not, I'm not a big fan of the lack of menus. I can see why they did it, and they did do it well, but for me the whole idea is kinda flawed from the get-go. You're just going to be faster than a menu, or hotkeys for equipment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.