Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Falling Skies: The Game

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

Based on the Steven Spielberg-produced TV series about the aftermath of an alien invasion, Falling Skies: The Game is a tactics RPG that pits a squad of resistance members against the alien invaders in tactical battles.

Anyone else plan on getting this game?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I just found out about this. It basically seems like a Falling Skies themed X-Com game. It looks pretty decent actually. I loved me some X-Com, and I like the show. So one would stand to reason that I should love this game. From what I've found in articles posted about this it will have more depth than X-Com. More leveling up, skills, weapons. And a random map generator so all missions are different. Doesn't come out until September 30th. PC, 360 and PS3 for $40. I'm more excited about this now than some of the AAA titles coming out around the same time.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

Wow, no kidding. It looks a whole lot like Enemy Unknown. I'll probably pass. There are a bunch of turn-based games on the way that I'm interested in and I haven't even finished Divinity yet.

Is the show any good? The bits I've seen look real hokey.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sterling

@theht said:

Is the show any good? The bits I've seen look real hokey.

Ya its kind of hokey and cheesy at points. But I like that kind of sci-fi. And I think its a good show. Its not syfy channel bad by any means either. Its just not top shelf T.V. Its doing well ratings wise. Its been on for four seasons now, and was picked up for a fifth. I'd say check out the first few episodes of the first season to see if you like it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I dunno man, taking this at surface value, I would say you're probably setting yourself up to be severely disappointed. I'm saying this under the assumption that 99% of licensed games are garbage shit. I have a feeling something like this would be a catastrophic disaster that would enrage people that used it.

That's without me ever seeing the game though.

I don't want to take away your enjoyment though because I too think Falling Skies is pretty good. XCom is fantastic. I'll say you should still pick it up under the condition that you write about it.

I bet it sucks balls.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum: Probably. But I am still getting it day one. But that isn't until Sept. 30th.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The screenshots make it look like a failed Greenlight game. So no.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whitegreyblack

Is the game any good? Is it even a little bit good? I love fun little mid-tier rip off games.

I have not seen the show.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot about this, lol. I'll be picking it up this weekend.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So no stores here have had this in stock. I guess I'm going to buy it online or maybe buy it on steam.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By whitegreyblack

I would love it if you'd post your impressions of the game once you get it. Seems up my alley if it is at all interesting and the mechanics work.

By the way, I chuckle every time I see one of your posts because

No Caption Provided

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sterling
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sterling

Well, I just ordered it on Amazon. I want to play it on PS3. So It will be here next week. I'll post my thoughts and a mini review of it after I put some hours into it. So probably by Wed. Here is to hoping its good.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played a little bit of it. It does scratch a little of that xcom itch but dear god the VO is sooooooo awful its really hard to continue.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whitegreyblack

I will probably pick this up despite never having seen the show. However, I am going to wait a bit, because it's $45 right now.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played about an hour of yesterday. It plays like the new XCOM game, even down to the base building. Like what @bargainben said, the VO is terrible, and graphics are nothing to write home about either. I am not familiar with the show so all I really know is that there are aliens, some humans that are turning into aliens, and a group of humans trying to fight back the aliens.

I wouldn't recommend this game, especially with the $40 price tag.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My sweet spot is always $20 and I am pretty confident I'll find this at that price within 12 months.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sterling

So this game is pretty terrible. But I'm gonna keep playing it. Because its still a moderately decent xcom clone. But man is it rough around the edges.

Graphics are ps2 era. Which isn't all that bad. The core game play is xcom re skinned with terrible graphics. The worst is trying to move a solider around the field, but the cursor gets lost under grass and objects and you can't see it. And the falling skies part of the game not necessary in any way. Seems more like something added after the fact to a clone already made. It really has nothing to do with the shows story. And they cherry picked characters from the show. So if you don't watch it, no problem. You'll be just as lost as someone who does.

So, yeah. Its not great. Its pretty mediocre. But I like it. Enough to finish it. Because the core gameplay is just more xcom. If you want a lesser xcom clone to play, pick it up when its $20 or less. If you wanted it for falling skies reasons, skip it entirely.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far all this games faults. I am really, really enjoying it. The core game play is pretty good. And its just as hard as x-com on the harder difficulties.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@sterling: I stopped watching the show after season 2(I think it was 2). I probably will go back to it some day. Thanks for posting about this game, because I was kinda curious about what it was exactly. I really liked Xcom, but I probably would be more inclined to play Xcom again instead of playing a mediocre/bad Xcom with Falling Skies stuff thrown in.

That said, if they throw it up on PSN for 5 bucks during some sale or something, then I might be tempted enough to grab it.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By whitegreyblack

@sterling: Thanks for your impressions. I'll watch the bargain bins for this one.

No Caption Provided

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap does this game have a ton of missions. I've done about ~40 "side" missions already. And only 2 story missions. I looked up some things, turns out there are over 100 side missions. Still no clue how many story missions. Kinda getting a little repetitive, just doing these same type side missions over and over waiting for a story mission to unlock. Which doesn't really make them side missions. Its a weird setup.

Also just lost my first solider. Pretty bummed about it. Level 8 spiked kid. The spiked kids have all the cool abilities. They can leap large distances across the map in one turn. And if you unlock a perk they melee crit an enemy if you land one space away. Plus they are the only class that unlocks the ability to have multiple utility items, grenades, med packs etc. The can use 3 of the same kind or two one offs, while everyone else only gets one.

And the game is bugged as hell, at least on PS3. Holy hell. If you want to play it, get it on PC.

Also now I have to dig out X-com. Because fuck is that game good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.