Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 30, 1998

Fallout 2 is the sequel to the critically acclaimed post-apocalyptic RPG.

What physics system do those dice rolls use anyway?

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Been playing a bunch of C&C RPG's lately. (C&C = Classic and on the Computer, and Choice and Consequence) And I was wondering what kind of physics system the dice rolls behind the scenes use? Examples are Fallout 2, and KOTOR. Seriously, who or what is actually determining these dice rolls? I was in the Klamath rat caves, and killed a certain rat at a certain corner. I died several times exploring this cave, but each time I loaded my save I killed that rat after on my last 5 action points. What gives? I thought this was supposed to be random.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Been playing a bunch of C&C RPG's lately. (C&C = Classic and on the Computer, and Choice and Consequence) And I was wondering what kind of physics system the dice rolls behind the scenes use? Examples are Fallout 2, and KOTOR. Seriously, who or what is actually determining these dice rolls? I was in the Klamath rat caves, and killed a certain rat at a certain corner. I died several times exploring this cave, but each time I loaded my save I killed that rat after on my last 5 action points. What gives? I thought this was supposed to be random.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

Lucky I guess? Depends on a few things, like if you're shooting said rat, your perception, agility and then your skill percentages compared with their perception and agility. KOTOR is basically a heavily modified D&D ver. 3.0 system.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By spacetrucking

Loaded dice :) 

BTW I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about the physics comment...you're aware of random number generators right ?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol. What he said. They don't use physics at all. Duh. Btw, I like your cute c&c definition.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Teran

I don't know if this is the case, but in numerous games (Fire Emblem series especially) rolls occur before an actual order is given to prevent reloading the game to get a more favorable result.

I don't believe the Fallout games used a system like this however as Driadon said it is a base roll with modifiers applied based on range, skills, stats, and the like.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cstrang
    @Killjoy said:
    I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic about the physics comment...you're aware of random number generators right ? "
    Put better than I ever could.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.