Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

That's it! I'm throwing in the towel.

• 98 results
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I just have to get this off my chest and say it here, I'm giving up on Fallout 3. I've been trying to complete blood ties for about a week, and I just can't do it. Ammo is so scarce, and health is even more rare. I got to the point where If I was wandering the wasteland and saw a raider, I would have to re-load my last save. I just can't stop dying. You put clips upon clips and mags upon mags of bullets into an enemy before they die. After that, you're out of ammo and low on health, and the next blade of grass you see kills you. I just can't take it anymore. Dying and dying and dying. Such a great world this game had, such a shame it was ruined by awful, awful combat. 

Oh, and the "You're hurt, sleep, use a stimp-pack, or see a doctor." Alright, where's the fuckin' doctor, stimp-pack, and bed that isn't owned!? How come I can kill somebody, but I still can't sleep in their bed to get healed!? It's the little things like that that also pissed me off bad about this game. I just can't take it anymore. I quit. 

You can like this game, but I'm just saying it's the worst game I've ever bought. I've never let a game go to waste like this before, but Fallout 3 is just horrible.  

But, that's just my opinion.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

huh? don't you survive longer / become more powerful if you level up? 

ScubaStoobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ScubaStoobie

I guess the game can be kind of daunting to a new player. It's not for everybody, sure. But some of these problems are easily overcome by just exploring the towns and getting a feel for the games quirks which I admit may take a little while. I hated the game at first but now it's one of my favorite games of all time.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47

codes

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By briggs713

I was kinda in the same boat early on.  Try lowering the difficulty a bit in the menus.  Helped me enjoy and experience the game the first time I played it.  And hey if not, It's no big deal, plenty of other awesome games to play. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Starting a new game might help. When I started my first run it was just awful since I kept dying and running out of ammo. So I went for a second game and concentrated on perks that really mattered to me (Scrounger perk with lots of points into small guns) and then suddenly the game becomes really easy. Also, always aim for the head.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jmrwacko

Wait someone's complaining that Fallout 3 is hard? Half the mod community slaved away for months just to make the PC version more difficult.

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By elbon

There's mods for the bed thing you know and if your playing a bethesda game on a console your a dumbass

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Ineedaname

Lower the difficulty?

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn to conserve ammo?

Oh, and I believe this statement is necessary.

ALWAYS ANGRY! ALL THE TIME!

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ClownDetective
    @Ineedaname said:
    " Lower the difficulty? "
    Yea, you don't suffer from putting it on very easy (you'll level up slower, but what with being easy you won't really need to level up anyway). Also, if you're having trouble with combat when the chances are there's one thing you're not doing that you can easily remedy. Ammo is scarce at the start, that can be a problem, but remember you can fast travel so a bed/shop is never too far away. 

Blood ties is tricky, it's a mission better done a bit later in the game, when you have your stats higher (make sure you have at least one good stat for combat - small guns/energy weapons/melee). Also, drugs can totally change battles (the equivalent of levelling up a few levels for a small duration) , and check your radiation, maybe that's what is making you weak. Fallout is janky as hell, there's always a way around things.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

What? the hardest part of that game is trying to decide what to throw away because of all the guns, ammo and health everywhere. 
    Don't know if i got lucky but i was practically throwing away guns and Stimpacks because i either never used them or they just wasted space, and also there is an unowned bed in that Fire Ants infested town along with a ton of other unowned beds that i have seen. 

You might need to focus some of your spending into the Small Guns because i focused on that a bit and well pretty much every shot was a one hit kill or it never took more then 3

Also talk to the girl in the Craterside Supply place in Megaton and do her quests , the locations she tells you to go to have a lot of good Equipment. 

Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Swaboo

run close to enemy, open VATS, unload clip in enemy's head.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Capum15

Bed that isn't pre-owned - Repair Skill 35+, Megaton (First actual inhabited town you come across). Disarm bomb, get house, save money, buy first aid station, never worry about health/radiation again.

Save Rad-Away, drink from fountains/sinks/fire hydrants, puddles or bodies of water (if you're desperate enough) or eat food for health, use Rad-Away if radiation becomes a problem.

Try Blood Ties later in the game. Maybe restart if you're in too deep of trouble.

I love the game, and found it kinda easy.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Deusoma
    @Elbon said:
    " There's mods for the bed thing you know and if your playing a bethesda game on a console you a dumbass "
    This is probably the best example I've seen in weeks of someone invalidating their own point by being a dick.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bybeach

It took me 2 tries to get into this game, but that was more do to the fact I was unimpressed at first. Now I'm level 29 and finally about to call it quits. Theres more to do, but Iv'e probably seen it all in substance. Theres a few places I still want to see, like the vault-tec bld. Where I failed was also not knowing how to play the game. I just did not come across as many side-quests as I should of.  This still is the longest game I ever played in my life, especially since I don't do multiplayer of any sort.  just to mention, I got the Optimus Prime..no liberty Prime and Point Outlook add-on. Finished the Liberty Prime, took the exploring perc,and have been doing that till now.

Just as a side note, finally near the end, and I finally came across dog meat..heh!
    Helimocopter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Helimocopter

The only thing i can think of would be to lower the difficulty
    also
    you are doing it wrong.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By eclipsesis

That game is offends my eye's that how much i don't like it, i really tried too; i like Bethesda and all but i just wasn't feeling Fallout. 

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By mikemcn

Psst, GO TO THE METRO STATION!, its just over the river........ when you find the ghouls, go in their radiation filled closet and climb down the manhole. Blood Ties quest solved....

Just don't do the THOSE! quest, that one was brutal, i've never had more hate for fire breathing ants, and believe me, 9mm bullets are not adequate for fending off hordes of mutant arthopods.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kishan6
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Such a great world this game had, such a shame it was ruined by awful, awful combat. "
    i think ur just bad
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Thanks for the people that helped. I will probably re-start this game sometime in m life, but not soon...not...soon.

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Azrail

SORRY BUT the game is fuckin ez, even on hard...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax

One of my Fallout 3 characters has over 2000 rounds of ammunition for each of my guns and thousands of bottle caps, as well as over 200 Stimpacks. I should add that's on the 360 version, so no cheat codes were involved. Just.... get better I guess. You need caps most of all to buy the ammo and health. Do easy quests like the Survival Guide instead of wandering around when you know you don't have ammo or health.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By spaceturtle

In the beginning of the game it's tough to stay alive. Try to check out the quests given to you be a Moria Brown over at Megaton. I started out by doing all those before getting into the other quests since I repeatedly died myself in the beginning. After having done her quest your character has leveled up enough to take on the other quests. I'm not saying Moria Brown's quest are easy, but they are certainly easier than most of the other quests.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

Mabe put it this way, do other quests firs, and just explore. Thatway you level up a few times, and get a few weapons. 

A little hint, my most  versatile weapon through the whole game was made in ..... and didn't look near as nice as it's counterpart.
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#26  Edited By RelentlessKnight

seriously? You are complaining because you were killed by a raider?   

And also THOSE! quest is easy if you shoot at the (i think) the ant's antennas, causing them to go bezerk over over ants

Just don't do the THOSE! quest, that one was brutal, i've never had more hate for fire breathing ants, and believe me, 9mm bullets are not adequate for fending off hordes of mutant arthopods.  

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Mhm, best advice is lower difficulty and VATs-aim for the head. Honestly EVER fight I was in I used VATs. Maybe thats the problem? You aren't using it often enough? But the game is challenging early on. People here have given you some good advice already. You can save megaton and live there, or if you want, blow it up, get a bigger payout and live in a nicer place. In the tower (Tenpenny? I think it was called) there is a guard chief that sells weapons and ammo a plenty.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#28  Edited By Savage

It's good to take a break when you're frustrated to clear your head.  Just remember to come back to the game some time later, and be sure to consider some of the advice given in this thread (especially lowering the difficulty setting while you're still getting your bearings).  You'll probably end up enjoying the game if you can get over the initial hump and find your footing.

Adanux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Adanux

Reading this post is actually making me reconsider my thoughts about Fallout 3. I always thought the hallmark of a real rpg was the fact that if you played it poorly you could completely screw up and make forward progress virtually impossible. I didn't think this was the case with Fallout 3, but maybe I'm just super badass? Anyway, based on your original post you seem totally out on Fallout 3, but if you're at all interested in giving it another go I do have some advice.

First, change the way you're going about combat. There are enough options in Fallout 3 that  combat should never reach the point where it is any worse than bland. I found that if you're planning on actually shooting (i.e. not using vats since you should definitelybe shooting) either focus on close range or long range with some form of shotgun or sniper rifle respectively. If that still isn't doing it for you, just get close enough that vats to the head is 95% and you shouldn't have any problems. Vats becomes especially unbalanced with things like grenades since enemies are frozen still as the grenade pauses before it explodes.

When it comes to leveling up, you should be fine as long as you're building your character to suit the way you're playing Just make sure you focus on what you need here and now rather than what you need later. Fallout 3 gives you a ridiculous amount of points so there's no need to plan out a long arc of character development.  The most obvious example of this is energy weapons vs. small guns. There's no point in dumping points into energy weapons at the start when you won't have access to them until much later, and shooting guys is so important that it's worthwhile to dump points into small guns at the start even if you'll never use them again after you get your first energy weapon.

I actually have a lot of problems with Fallout 3 myself, so don't think I'm telling you that you should push onward even if you're not enjoying it. However, if you are enjoying Fallout 3 outside of the combat I'd say give it another go and treat it like an rpg rather than an fps.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX
    @natetodamax said:
    " One of my Fallout 3 characters has over 2000 rounds of ammunition for each of my guns and thousands of bottle caps, as well as over 200 Stimpacks. I should add that's on the 360 version, so no cheat codes were involved. Just.... get better I guess. You need caps most of all to buy the ammo and health. Do easy quests like the Survival Guide instead of wandering around when you know you don't have ammo or health. "
    same. 10000 bottle caps, 400 stimpaks, on average difficulty. 
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Thanks for the people that helped. I will probably re-start this game sometime in m life, but not soon...not...soon. "
     basic tips-  
    lower the difficulty 

use VATS more often- you are invincible while doing so and can usually get dudes down to at least half health at the start. You'll also conserve ammo. Keep your BB gun on, save your pistol ammo.

Tag either unarmed, melee weapons, or small guns coming out of it so that your combat skill is decent. 

idk what you did, but I'd follow the main quest coming out of the vault, at least until you get to Megaton. It says sleep in a bed; either complete the bomb quest (talk to lucas simms in town, ask him about preparing the bomb. If you want to be evil, go to the bar and talk to...that other guy in the corner. Forget his name). The end result of that quest is you getting a house. If you don't want to, going to the bar and asking for a room will heal you as well. there's a doctor in town; check your map.   

I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY recommend that you do the super duper mart quest no matter what (it's part of the wasteland survival guide, when talking to Moira ask about the food and medicine option). You'll fight some low level bandits that will drop guns and ammo. If you really want to conserve, use VATS and melee weapons to preserve bullets but you really don't need it. 

If you've done all of these, then do more basic quests (I recommend starting with the wasteland survival guide, talk to Moira at craterside depot, again check your map) and don't stray too far to the edges of the map/away from vault 101 because the farther you go, the tougher enemies are. (The western and far northeastern parts of the map have the hardest enemies, the center the easiet, and the city proper the moderate enemies).
    triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By triple07

Weird I thought it was pretty easy. What difficulty are you playing on? And are you using VATS?

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By FesteringNeon

if i've learned anything from playing Bethesda games, it's to stock up.. and walk aimlessly doing nothing but venturing every nook and cranny, THEN start the main game. :) 
    Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @AlwaysAngry: are you hard on, LOL, i mean on hard??
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jmrwacko

My problem with Fallout 3 was that with commando and a good plasma rifle or lincoln's repeater, the game just turned into a VATS click on his head fest. Absolutely no skill involved. So yeah, opposite of hard.

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EliasT
    @AlwaysAngry: I'm on the same boat, I sold the game a few months ago though.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @jmrwacko said:
    " Wait someone's complaining that Fallout 3 is hard? Half the mod community slaved away for months just to make the PC version more difficult. "
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Search everything.
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By stephengotlost

If you're playing on the PC, press the tilde key, click on the enemy, and type kill.

Surprisingly, you gain EXP and can pick up the loot.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @DystopiaX said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " One of my Fallout 3 characters has over 2000 rounds of ammunition for each of my guns and thousands of bottle caps, as well as over 200 Stimpacks. I should add that's on the 360 version, so no cheat codes were involved. Just.... get better I guess. You need caps most of all to buy the ammo and health. Do easy quests like the Survival Guide instead of wandering around when you know you don't have ammo or health. "
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " Thanks for the people that helped. I will probably re-start this game sometime in m life, but not soon...not...soon. "
     use VATS more often- you are invincible while doing so"
    NOPE! This is what pissed me off too! I've died so many times in VATS. But thanks anyway.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#40  Edited By Soap

You should lower the difficulty if your having trouble with it.

I walked through that game taking off peoples heads in VATS, pretty easy really :/

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DystopiaX
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    @AlwaysAngry said:
     use VATS more often- you are invincible while doing so"
    NOPE! This is what pissed me off too! I've died so many times in VATS. But thanks anyway. "
    then your game is weird, because you should not take damage while in VATS.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d59d1a719efd
    deactivated-5d59d1a719efd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you should just start over, lower the difficulty a bit, and go to the DC ruins hospital for 20 or 30 stimpacks.

And also if you just don't like the combat then you should probably just not play it.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NickL
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " But, that's just my opinion. "
    personally, i never once ran out of ammo and i think i only had to reload from death once... maybe twice
    aim for the head maybe? if you have to shoot more than a mag into each enemy then you did something horribly wrong at some point
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Meowayne

Sounds like someone is trying to play this like a shooter. 

Stop trying to improve all your stats. Focus on one aspect, then use that to kill stuff. If you have to put "rounds after rounds into enemies and they just won't die", you're doing something wrong.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @NickL said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    personally, i never once ran out of ammo and i think i only had to reload from death once... maybe twice aim for the head maybe? if you have to shoot more than a mag into each enemy then you did something horribly wrong at some point "
    You have to get sooooooo close before you even have a chance of hitting them in the head.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Meowayne

AlwaysAngry, whenever you speak of this game you make it sound like it imposes design choices on you ("you have to get close to have a chance of hittim them in the head.")
    All of these things are influenced by YOUR choices. If you want a character that is awesome with ranged weapons and can carry a lot of ammo, you should have MADE and DEVELOPED one. What are your characters strengths? Use them in combat. If your character doesn't have strengths, you've been playing it wrong.  Trying to build a "balanced" character is almost always a bad choice because you end up being good at nothing. Skill points and traits are important.

Turn down the difficulty, loot and level, then decide what you want to be.

Edit: Or there is simply a difficulty or balancing bug / error in your game. Fallout 3 simply is NOT a difficult game by any means.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ramyun

VATS is your friend. Yeah, but the slow pacing in that game and just the overwhelming size of how much you can do just stopped me from continuing in that game.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By obcdexter

I had problems in the very beginning, but after I really looted a dungeon or two, I had enough caps to stock up on ammo and weapons and never really was "challenged" again up until I raised the difficulty. So I can't really relate. I had a thoroughly amazing time finishing this and the Broken Steel add-on. I'm thinking about trying another DLC chapter soon, any recommendations? :P

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NickL
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @NickL said:
    " @AlwaysAngry said:
    personally, i never once ran out of ammo and i think i only had to reload from death once... maybe twice aim for the head maybe? if you have to shoot more than a mag into each enemy then you did something horribly wrong at some point "
    You have to get sooooooo close before you even have a chance of hitting them in the head. "
    even if you do have to get close... the fact that you kill them in 2 shots from headshots is worth it.... 
    (btw if you have to get really close to headshot, im not saying your playing WRONG, but your definitely not playing RIGHT, the first thing you should level up in this game is one of the ranged weapon skills)
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm really baffled that you could be so stuck. The game is not that hard, and plus you can always lower the difficulty at any time. I'd give you advice, but it seems you've already past the point of no return on this game, so it'd probably just be a waste of my time. Really, not to be a jerk, but I think the problem is that you just don't really know what you're doing or how to play the game effectively. Being a scavenger is a big part of surviving in the Wastelands.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.