Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

The Bethesda Gambit

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

Fallout 3 has been out for quite a while now, two months and change. However, there's a bunch that hasn't really been addressed about it. It seems as if the gaming community just glided over Fallout as "Oblivion with guns" and moved on to the next big thing, Gears 2. But Fallout man, Fallout is S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (I'm a terrible person).

Now, I'll come right out and say I never played Oblivion. I did play Morrowind, but Morrowind couldn't really grab me, for whatever reason. Put a few hours into it, and just abandoned it. Skipped over Oblivion because I didn't have a 360 at the time of release. Fallout grabbed me, in a way, I think because it has a different approach to the RPG.

Fallout, and indeed most Bethesda games in general, are quite buggy and easy to exploit. The framework can be broken easily if you try (I'm currently lugging around 2 companions, a dog, and about 12 copies of what is supposed to be a unique weapon), and the game is far from stable. Character animations are wooden, melee combat feels disconnected, and the third person view still looks and plays like utter shit. These flaws would really bring down any other game- and they bring down Fallout, to an extent. However, despite these flaws, Fallout is still the game I've pumped the most time into recently, probably this year (With the exception of HALO).

Why?

Et tu, Mass Effect?
    Et tu, Mass Effect?
    It's something in the Bethesda approach to content. Instead of polishing a decent amount of content until it's blindingly bright, Bethesda crams content down your throat, with not as much attention to the details. With something like Mass Effect, you might have two choices in any given situation- let someone go or kill them. In Fallout, you have a plethora of options: Blow their brains out, pickpocket their inventory off them, convince them to pay you to let them go, let them fall asleep, kill them quietly, then eat their corpse. While Mass Effect's choice might play out in more significant ways, Fallout offers you such a plethora of options that you actually feel in control of the situation, instead of choosing a binary path to advance along on a dialog tree.

Mass Effect is polished to a nice shine (Although there are still bugs in ME), while Fallout isn't. Bethesda puts all their energy towards putting as much content out there as they can for you to enjoy. In a way, Bethesda is a little stuck in the past. In these days of ultra-polished, slick, PR-led games like Dead Space or Gears, Fallout and Morrowind are more reminiscent of older, PC games where perhaps the presentation isn't awesome, but there's just lots of stuff to do. Of course, in this case, being a bit stuck in the past is quite the virtue- not everything in a game needs to be perfect. I'd rather have the options to do whatever I want than to be funneled down a pre-set corridor.

Hiring an extra gun
    Hiring an extra gun
    Of course, these coridors still exist in Fallout- you can't kill your dad, or say become President of the Republic of Dave :'( It's just that in Fallout, these constraits are much looser than in other, simlar games. Going back to the example of Mass Effect, it is impossible to kill civilians anywhere. You can run around the Citadel blasting and shooting up a storm. Nobody cares. Most other RPG's make you follow the story progression in a set order. In Fallout, you can just happen upon your father's location in the Wasteland without doing any of the preceding quests, and the game moves along fine. It's not that you can do whatever you want in Fallout, but you can do much more than most other games allow, in many more ways. Fallout hides it's gameplay design borders well, and puts more than enough content in front of you for you to never be motivated to seek out those limits.

Fallout succeeds because it drops enough food on your plate, that you can look past the few things you don't like- asparagus, peas- to the overwhelming pile of foods that you really love. Even if you have to eat the vegtables, it's still a delicious dinner, and you're going to remember the great steak, not the few bad greens that went with it.

And while we're on the subject of Fallout, keep your eyes peeled- Fallout 3 Megaguide should be ready to publish soon from me, Jayge, and systech. Expect it in a week or two.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lies

Fallout 3 has been out for quite a while now, two months and change. However, there's a bunch that hasn't really been addressed about it. It seems as if the gaming community just glided over Fallout as "Oblivion with guns" and moved on to the next big thing, Gears 2. But Fallout man, Fallout is S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (I'm a terrible person).

Now, I'll come right out and say I never played Oblivion. I did play Morrowind, but Morrowind couldn't really grab me, for whatever reason. Put a few hours into it, and just abandoned it. Skipped over Oblivion because I didn't have a 360 at the time of release. Fallout grabbed me, in a way, I think because it has a different approach to the RPG.

Fallout, and indeed most Bethesda games in general, are quite buggy and easy to exploit. The framework can be broken easily if you try (I'm currently lugging around 2 companions, a dog, and about 12 copies of what is supposed to be a unique weapon), and the game is far from stable. Character animations are wooden, melee combat feels disconnected, and the third person view still looks and plays like utter shit. These flaws would really bring down any other game- and they bring down Fallout, to an extent. However, despite these flaws, Fallout is still the game I've pumped the most time into recently, probably this year (With the exception of HALO).

Why?

Et tu, Mass Effect?
    Et tu, Mass Effect?
    It's something in the Bethesda approach to content. Instead of polishing a decent amount of content until it's blindingly bright, Bethesda crams content down your throat, with not as much attention to the details. With something like Mass Effect, you might have two choices in any given situation- let someone go or kill them. In Fallout, you have a plethora of options: Blow their brains out, pickpocket their inventory off them, convince them to pay you to let them go, let them fall asleep, kill them quietly, then eat their corpse. While Mass Effect's choice might play out in more significant ways, Fallout offers you such a plethora of options that you actually feel in control of the situation, instead of choosing a binary path to advance along on a dialog tree.

Mass Effect is polished to a nice shine (Although there are still bugs in ME), while Fallout isn't. Bethesda puts all their energy towards putting as much content out there as they can for you to enjoy. In a way, Bethesda is a little stuck in the past. In these days of ultra-polished, slick, PR-led games like Dead Space or Gears, Fallout and Morrowind are more reminiscent of older, PC games where perhaps the presentation isn't awesome, but there's just lots of stuff to do. Of course, in this case, being a bit stuck in the past is quite the virtue- not everything in a game needs to be perfect. I'd rather have the options to do whatever I want than to be funneled down a pre-set corridor.

Hiring an extra gun
    Hiring an extra gun
    Of course, these coridors still exist in Fallout- you can't kill your dad, or say become President of the Republic of Dave :'( It's just that in Fallout, these constraits are much looser than in other, simlar games. Going back to the example of Mass Effect, it is impossible to kill civilians anywhere. You can run around the Citadel blasting and shooting up a storm. Nobody cares. Most other RPG's make you follow the story progression in a set order. In Fallout, you can just happen upon your father's location in the Wasteland without doing any of the preceding quests, and the game moves along fine. It's not that you can do whatever you want in Fallout, but you can do much more than most other games allow, in many more ways. Fallout hides it's gameplay design borders well, and puts more than enough content in front of you for you to never be motivated to seek out those limits.

Fallout succeeds because it drops enough food on your plate, that you can look past the few things you don't like- asparagus, peas- to the overwhelming pile of foods that you really love. Even if you have to eat the vegtables, it's still a delicious dinner, and you're going to remember the great steak, not the few bad greens that went with it.

And while we're on the subject of Fallout, keep your eyes peeled- Fallout 3 Megaguide should be ready to publish soon from me, Jayge, and systech. Expect it in a week or two.
    Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bartiemus

I loved both Fallout 3 ,oblivion and Mass effect one problem i have with Fallout 3 is the characters just stair at you when their talking no hand gestures or what ever. But Bethesda games are constantly getting better like in oblivion I swear they only had like 4 diffrent voice acters for all the diffrent charchters but in Fallout 3 every one sounds completley diffrent. Im looking forward to the DLC there realsing next year plus come on Bioware announce Mass Effect 2 Allready.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

I adored Fallout 3, but my life is bugger than the game, so I haven't written anything about it. I agree with the majority of people who thought the ending was lame, but the journey... my, my and what a journey it was. I can't wait for the DLC, on my first play through (58 hours) I played a good character, I then started a new game with an evil character (7 hours), but I might wait for the DLC to dive back in. I got some games for Christmas and I want to finish those first. For me, Fallout 3 was the best game I played this year. Good luck with the Fallout 3 Megaguide, take care.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Discorsi

This game is sorta fun but there are huge faults that must be overlooked to find the enjoyment.
      VATS is a terrible system.  The dialogue feels so forced.  Enemies feel out of place even for post apocalyptic America.  However there is enjoyment to be had. I can not pin point where it comes from but it is there.  It sorta goes into the Dynasty Warriors category for me.  From a technical perspective both games are sub par but in terms of enjoyment, the game succeeds.  On a proper 10 scale i would give this game a 7.9 and on a giant bomb scale a 3.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Stealthoneill

My main problem with Fallout 3 was the bugs that carried from Oblivion. Things the developers must have seen and just never got round to doing anything about it. Otherwise it is an awesome game.

Content is something Bethesda work hard at and it shows, not only in the original copy of the game but the DLC that follows on for months after, and the announced extras for Fallout 3 look to add a good 10 hours extra in total gameplay.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Kazona

Sweet, a mega guide! Gimme!

Fallout 3 is indeed one of those games that offers up such a vast amount of content, with the large majority of it being great, that it isn't hard to look past the flaws that it has. Like you said, most other games would have been ruined completely if they had the same amount of things wrong in it as Fallout 3 does. But this game just offers so much that is good about it that, well, the flaws are easily forgiven--even if they sometimes annoy the crap out of me. And I really do like that you are in a true open world that doesn't force you down any narrative path. And there's just so much to do, that it's very easy to reach your max level without ever touching the main story quests. And then there's still plenty to do!

The downside of this approach is that, like me, players can get burned out on the game before they finish the story. I barely touched the main story when I played Fallout 3. I just had such a great time exploring and doing all the side quests. But then I ran into some quests that didn't really go as well as I had hoped, courtesy of some bugs. So after numerous times of retrying (and luckily finally succeeding , I just had enough of it and put the game down. Now several weeks later, I still haven't picked it up again, sadly.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lies

That's the thing with Fallout, is that there's so much to do. I can see how it would be easy to get overwhelmed or burned out.

Pick it back up when our guide comes out :)

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Rowr

im still burnt out on morrowind and oblivion.

I played the fuck out of morrowind to the point that oblivion was kind of meh.

Im going to leave it a little while before i pick up fallout.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By AspiringAndy

You guys are machines!
    A guide for Fallout 3, ITS GOING TO BE MASSIVE!
    Nicely written btw Lies.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By dj

Everything is full of choices in Fallout 3 except the ending, I had a solution that would have worked flawlessly but the game would not let me do what I wanted. That was extremly disappointing.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

I see where you're coming from, but Mass Effect felt more substantial, probably because it was more linear.

In Fallout you have tons of people to talk to, and tons of choices to make, but I never really felt like I was really engaging with it. How many times do I need to ask someone what it's like living in Megaton? And get a fairly uninteresting and uneccesary response?
    In Mass Effect, you may only have a small amount of choices in comparison, but every choice feels a lot more weighty, a bit more consequential.

I also think that in Fallout, despite having so much content, it pretty much all plays out in the same way. Dialogue is always in that dry, old school, creepy constant eye contact manner, and while there are tons of items and weapons, essentially it's shoot, vats, consume. Whereas Mass Effect was cinematic and dynamic with it's story and dialogue, and combat  was a ton more varied depending on your weapons and magic (biotics?).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.