Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

The Return of Harold?

Avatar image for thefalconproduction
    TheFalconProduction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So Harold (The Talking Tree in the Oasis) has been in Fallout 1, 2, and 3... Do you think he will be returning in any way in Fallout New Vegas?

Also, in what way would Harold be contributing to New Vegas?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @TheFalconProduction: yes
    TheFalconProduction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklabeldomm:
    cool, cool. and i know its what u think, so its an opinion, but is there any proof that u know of? im not trying to be an asshole or anything, im just wondering. i cant seem to find any. 
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By yoctoyotta

I don't know, Bethesda accounted for his settling down all the way across the U.S. Has anything been said yet about where NV fits in the Fallout time line? Seems like it would have to take place prior to Fallout 3's events for his presence to make sense.

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TehFedro
    @TheFalconProduction: He better, you CAN'T have a Fallout game without Harold. Tactics don't count (There was some dude named Harold but it wasn't him, not sure if he was in that game). Not sure if Brotherhood of Steel had him either but I wont count that aswell.
    TheFalconProduction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@YoctoYotta:
    no, bethesda or obsidian havent said anything, which is kinda upsetting. but right now, i dont think anyone will find out until October 19th, the earliest.
    TheFalconProduction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehFedro:
    no, definately not counting Tactics in any way.
    but hey, say if not Harold, maybe some sort of offspring of him. like a sprout.
    risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By risseless

One of the videos says that F:NV occurs at the same time as Fallout 3, just in a different part of the country. I don't see how they get Harold there, unless someone chops him down and hauls him. Honestly, I thought his inclusion in F3 was rather contrived. I won't miss him. His story is told.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

NO

Because what Bethesda did to Harold was a goddamn joke and most of the fans of Fallout1,2 hated it.
    Obsidian is not dumb enough to piss on the franchise like that, they at least try to think slightly logically about shit, instead of: oh he traveled all the way across America for no reason and grew into a FUCKING TREE by standing in one place for how long exactly?. His appearance and story in F3 is retarded. I burned that mother fucker out of pure pity of what was done to him.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neoepoch
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " NO  Because what Bethesda did to Harold was a goddamn joke and most of the fans of Fallout1,2 hated it. Obsidian is not dumb enough to piss on the franchise like that, they at least try to think slightly logically about shit, instead of: oh he traveled all the way across America for no reason and grew into a FUCKING TREE by standing in one place for how long exactly?. His appearance and story in F3 is retarded. I burned that mother fucker out of pure pity of what was done to him. "
    Retarded that the tree that he nurtured on his head in turn proved to be his "downfall"? No it is not retarded, I find it rather ironic, which is what many of the things in the Fallout universe tend to be.
    Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Gargantuan

I'm a fan of the original Fallout games and I think Bethesda did a pretty good job on Harold in Fallout 3. I criticised Fallout 3 a lot when it was being developed but in the end I loved it. 

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoLines
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " NO  Because what Bethesda did to Harold was a goddamn joke and most of the fans of Fallout1,2 hated it. Obsidian is not dumb enough to piss on the franchise like that, they at least try to think slightly logically about shit, instead of: oh he traveled all the way across America for no reason and grew into a FUCKING TREE by standing in one place for how long exactly?. His appearance and story in F3 is retarded. I burned that mother fucker out of pure pity of what was done to him. "
    I'd say malevolence more than pity. Stopping his heart would be a merciful move. Burning the guy was just a dick thing to do.
    Anyhoo- I thought it was very well made. I never saw Harold on my first playthrough, so when I've heard about it somewhere else, I just had to go and look for myself. Glad I did.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @neoepoch said:

" @Tennmuerti said:

Retarded that the tree that he nurtured on his head in turn proved to be his "downfall"? No it is not retarded, I find it rather ironic, which is what many of the things in the Fallout universe tend to be. "
    A. There is no reason for him being in Washington at all other then Bethesada wanted to stuff him in there as in "hey look we got Harold from F1,2 in the game dawgs!" same as with Dogmeat.
    B. Trees take years and years to grow by tiniest of amounts. How did he exactly get rooted to the ground, went to sleep one day and the next day it grew roots into the ground so deep he couldn't pull out? Was he standing in one place for a decade or so?

It's as ironic as Chinese zombies still operating undercover in the same factory building in the middle of DC 200 years after the war, wearing Chinese uniforms having never gone outside, not having any food or water source, not realising that they are ghouls. It's about as ironic as cannibalistic murdering disorganized raiders still surviving and somehow having enough spare body parts from all the huge amount of people they murder in the wasteland every day to have fresh corpses for decorations, must be a sustainable way to live for 200 years. It's as ironic as the biggest military powers in the region not giving two shits about acquiring a dormant nuclear weapon that is almost unguarded. It's as ironic as a bunch of people making a town around a NUKE after a NUCLEAR WAR.

Do you feel the irony yet?
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By neoepoch

@Tennmuerti:  
    First off....the Dogmeat in the F3 is not the same as the Dogmeat in F1, it is just a name. Get over it. Secondly, a tree can just keep growing and growing until its mass encompasses most of the being. Plus it is a radioactive tree.  It has to be fairly mutated, who the hell knows what types of growth mutations happened to it.  Plus ithas had 36 years to grow. THIRTY SIX. Fallout 3 takes place 36 years after 2, so that is plenty of time for things to change.. Also, it doesn't take a decade for a plant to take root.

Also a lot of those things are ironic. ESPECIALLY THE LAST ONE. So you are proving my point?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @neoepoch: 
    There is a very thick line between careless and thoughtless design that is palmface worthy and was berely given 2 seconds of thought and actual irony.
    That list I just started can go on: working/powered computers in openly destroyed areas and those areas having working power (as oposed to just being in Vaults or closed military bunkers ala first games), available unscavanged supplies all over the place 200 years (several generations) after war, Enclave president trusting you (why do I even bother the entire main storyline is like a sieve it's so full of holes), purifing water at the point where the river ENDS and spills into the ocean for christs sake how the F does that purify anything in the DC wasteland upriver, parents able to keep from children that a vault gets constantly open fior years and years even tho everyone knows about it (i have lived in small communities and the smaller the number of people the faster information between them spreads), the sherif trusting a complete stranger he never seen with tinkering of a nuclear bomb in their town, a nobody from the world that has never been outside helping write a survival guide and people actualy USING the said survival guide even tho hey have survived just fine for 200 years before it, building a town around a non detonated nuclear weapon is not ironic no matter how you spin it it just makes no godamn sense no sane people would ever do it, more so allow access to said bomb to anyone who just happen to wander into town, a setlement of only children keeping away all intruders for years including Supermutants and surviving, undetonated nuclear cars in a city that was nuked, who the ef manufactures cars that produce tiny nuclear explosions anyway, you'd think that the first insident on a motorway would have shown how stupid that idea is, etc, etc ...
    Do please explain how any of this shit is actualy ironic instead of balls deep retarded and making no godamn sense?

Harold just like most of the elements in the game was put in for the pure "oh shit wouldn't it be cool" factor that seems to be so valued by Bethesda just like explodng nuclear cars are kewl and  quote "watching a guys heads explode in slow motion is always satisfying" - Todd Howard, that is their idea of irony.

If you think that building a town specifically around an undetonated nuclear weapon after a nuclear apocalypse is ironic  instead of utter nonsense then:

No Caption Provided
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ReyGitano
    @Tennmuerti: Your wall of text shows me you are upset :[
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @SlashseveN303: I am.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaneDev

Well I dont think he can be in this game since hes on the other side of the country and his story is done. 

I would like to have new characters rather than rehash the old, although Bethesda did a pretty good job balancing them in Fallout 3.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ShaneDev said:
    " Well I dont think he can be in this game since hes on the other side of the country and his story is done.  I would like to have new characters rather than rehash the old, although Bethesda did a pretty good job balancing them in Fallout 3. "
    He was on the other side of the country in F1,2 that didn't stop him from being in F3 :P
    Altho yes his story is thankfully done, what with likely being dead and all.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaneDev
    @Tennmuerti: Yeah but I thought Fallout 3 takes place a good time after 2 while New Vegas is at around the same time.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pwnasaurus

i liked harold i want him back he is my favorite fallout character.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ShaneDev said:
    " @Tennmuerti: Yeah but I thought Fallout 3 takes place a good time after 2 while New Vegas is at around the same time. "
    He could always take a vertbird for a quick ride :)
    risseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By risseless
    @Tennmuerti said:
    "I burned that mother fucker out of pure pity of what was done to him. " 
    I lol'd.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august
    @Tennmuerti: THE FALLOUT UNIVERSE IS A SERIOUS UNIVERSE FILLED WITH SERIOUS BUSINESS AND PLASMA CANNONS AND SUPER MUTANTS
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @august: Actually the first installments were very much so, just because F3 made a joke of everything doesn't make the entire universe so. The setting is in what would future be like from the point of 50s plus post apocalyptia, but said universe was at least consistent and logical within it's own setting in F1-2. Most subject even like Supermutants were treated with thought on how/why their purposes/issues/problems/wants/future development etc... it's only in F3 that they are made out to be mostly midless orcs that like to create fleshbags out of meat and are just a generic monsters without purpose or direction. I don't know if you played F1 or not but if you did then you'd remember that you could win the game and avoid the final boss fight by reasoning out the future of Supermutants in regards to their inevitable failure due to sterility instead of being a supposed new supperior race like the Master imagined them, providing evidence if you had it an so on. I could go on with examples of effects and intergration of raiders and/or slavers with society, politics between cities, role of drugs as control, criminal organisations keeping peace, attitude of the real BOS, formation of cults and more. So yes it is actually a serious universe. Its one of the bigger reasons why F3 is looked down on, since it's more of a joke.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Dustpan

I seriously doubt he'll be in Fallout: New Vegas.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Potter9156
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @neoepoch: 
    There is a very thick line between careless and thoughtless design that is palmface worthy and was berely given 2 seconds of thought and actual irony.
    That list I just started can go on: working/powered computers in openly destroyed areas and those areas having working power (as oposed to just being in Vaults or closed military bunkers ala first games), available unscavanged supplies all over the place 200 years (several generations) after war, Enclave president trusting you (why do I even bother the entire main storyline is like a sieve it's so full of holes), purifing water at the point where the river ENDS and spills into the ocean for christs sake how the F does that purify anything in the DC wasteland upriver, parents able to keep from children that a vault gets constantly open fior years and years even tho everyone knows about it (i have lived in small communities and the smaller the number of people the faster information between them spreads), the sherif trusting a complete stranger he never seen with tinkering of a nuclear bomb in their town, a nobody from the world that has never been outside helping write a survival guide and people actualy USING the said survival guide even tho hey have survived just fine for 200 years before it, building a town around a non detonated nuclear weapon is not ironic no matter how you spin it it just makes no godamn sense no sane people would ever do it, more so allow access to said bomb to anyone who just happen to wander into town, a setlement of only children keeping away all intruders for years including Supermutants and surviving, undetonated nuclear cars in a city that was nuked, who the ef manufactures cars that produce tiny nuclear explosions anyway, you'd think that the first insident on a motorway would have shown how stupid that idea is, etc, etc ...
    Do please explain how any of this shit is actualy ironic instead of balls deep retarded and making no godamn sense?

Harold just like most of the elements in the game was put in for the pure "oh shit wouldn't it be cool" factor that seems to be so valued by Bethesda just like explodng nuclear cars are kewl and  quote "watching a guys heads explode in slow motion is always satisfying" - Todd Howard, that is their idea of irony.

If you think that building a town specifically around an undetonated nuclear weapon after a nuclear apocalypse is ironic  instead of utter nonsense then:

No Caption Provided
    "

+100 rep. Couldn't agree more.
    Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jams
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @august: Actually the first installments were very much so, just because F3 made a joke of everything doesn't make the entire universe so. The setting is in what would future be like from the point of 50s plus post apocalyptia, but said universe was at least consistent and logical within it's own setting in F1-2. Most subject even like Supermutants were treated with thought on how/why their purposes/issues/problems/wants/future development etc... it's only in F3 that they are made out to be mostly midless orcs that like to create fleshbags out of meat and are just a generic monsters without purpose or direction. I don't know if you played F1 or not but if you did then you'd remember that you could win the game and avoid the final boss fight by reasoning out the future of Supermutants in regards to their inevitable failure due to sterility instead of being a supposed new supperior race like the Master imagined them, providing evidence if you had it an so on. I could go on with examples of effects and intergration of raiders and/or slavers with society, politics between cities, role of drugs as control, criminal organisations keeping peace, attitude of the real BOS, formation of cults and more. So yes it is actually a serious universe. Its one of the bigger reasons why F3 is looked down on, since it's more of a joke. "
    You've really opened my eyes on the Fallout universe. I can't believe I let all those holes slip past me and never actually realized how ridiculous 3 is. I have played and finished most of 1 (fixing the vault water system deal) but I didn't bother finishing the quest to wipe monsters out or what ever it was. Hopefully Obsidian will take more considerations when developing the NV story.
    Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Crocio
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " @neoepoch: 

No Caption Provided
    "
    Hell yes! Preach on, brother/sister.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Uh, Fallout isn't meant to be taken completely serious, humor is a huge part of the franchise, not just the third.

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpacePenguin

No, I think Obsidian will instead bring back characters from the first two that Bethesda did not.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Lord_Yeti said:
    " Uh, Fallout isn't meant to be taken completely serious, humor is a huge part of the franchise, not just the third. "
    No, sardonic (black) humour is part of the franchise.  Not just nonsensical slapstick humour.  Fallout 3 is mechanically a pretty decent game but it does rape the franchise story quite a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.