Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Does anyone else have middle ground opinion for Far Cry 2?

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DoctorOptimist

Yup, THAT game. It's one of the top 5 "love it or hate it" games of this gen, there's rarely any middle ground opinion. It still manage to receive positive reviews from critics, managing a 84% on gamerankings.com and Giantbomb's Brad Shoekmaker scored it a 4 out of 5,  but the gaming community's opinion towards the game is very divided. I however, I have mixed reactions towards Far Cry 2.   

What I like is the amount of tactical options it provides to complete missions, it makes you feel like in control the situation and fire fights never play out the same way. I like some of it's cool immerssion stuff, such as guns rusting and then jamming while they're rusted. The game looks gorgeous to boot, with excellent audio work and musical score. I liked hunting for diamonds and upgrading my arsenal in my inventory, it was very rewarding to unlock new weapons at my disposal. I also liked how fire propagation is used as a strategic effect to fend off enemies and create distractions. 

What I don't like is how missions are far to reach and how everyone in the world wants to kill you for no reason what so ever, the respawning guard posts got on my nerves quickly before I put a few hours into the game. Another problem is the A.I., they're total clusterf*#$! They're either good, too good, dumb, or just plain abysmal. They're able to peckle at your howl with the s****iest of a weapon from a mile away and have a tendency to drive a nearby vehicle for no reason, I also don't get how they just stop moving for a second once you miss them by a margin.  

Despite that, there were moments where I loved the game and moments where I quit the game. In the end, I enjoyed it while playing it in short busts, but I hated it while I was playing it for an hour or two.  Crysis is a superior game in almost everyway, but Far Cry 2 certainly had potential to be an amazing sandbox FPS. 

So, does anyone else share the same opinion towards Far Cry 2?

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Far Cry 2 is a great game from a gameplay perspective. But, it's a pity the story wasn't necessarily there to hold up equally.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Don't like it at all.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

i almost completely agree with you. it had such great potential but the god damn traveling (which made missions so tedious and boring) which felt useless because the actual shooting you had to do was about 3 minutes long compared to the 15 minutes you spent driving there minus the time spent killing the dudes at the respawning guard huts.  

it turned me off, but i'm glad that i bought it for 15$. it is very fun to play in short bursts but it disappoints me that it could of been so much better  

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By luce

Dude, me and my little brother were checking out the online and ended up having a firefight in Grove Street from GTA: SA

That map creator is ludicrous

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By jacdg

It was an okay game, the single player was quite flawed but entertaining at points, the multiplayer was quite good. If I had to give it a score it would be a 7/10.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " Far Cry 2 is a great game from a gameplay perspective. But, it's a pity the story wasn't necessarily there to hold up equally. "
    The storyline did become contrived in the end and the ending practically failed to deliver the message it was trying to convey, not to mention that the storyline is poorly told and it takes a total backseat to the gameplay. The Jackal Tapes were very interesting to listen to, but they were hard to find as they're scattered randomly and there often no clues where to find them. I had to download a map that shows there were all located.
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thedj93

Yea I think my reaction to it was somewhat on the same terms as yours. Although I didnt actually finish the game (it was a rental) I thought the day/night cycle was well done,and I liked the novel way that the healing and buddy systems worked. However there was a certain amount of jank to the way the shooting worked, and I wasn't particularly intrigued by the plot enough to warrant a second rental

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lemoncookie01

It could have been so much better.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @luce said:
    " Dude, me and my little brother were checking out the online and ended up having a firefight in Grove Street from GTA: SA  That map creator is ludicrous "
    The map editor from Far Cry 2 is certainly phenomenal, easily the best part of the game. 

@JacDG said:
    " It was an okay game, the single player was quite flawed but entertaining at points, the multiplayer was quite good. If I had to give it a score it would be a 7/10. "
    It would be a 6 out of 10 for me, I found the multi-player to be decent at best but the map editor is easily the best out there. Too bad it was wasted on a game that isn't really great.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I share the exact opinion, crysis owns this game and is everything far cry 2 is trying to be. There will be no middle ground, your right, it's either a love it or hate it sort of game. Maybe they need to make a sequel and adress these complaints, then maybe most ppl will like it. It's usually about half and half.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Something I forgot. The happiest I ever was in the game was when I found the hang glider after an intense firefight. It was amazing.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By GeekDown

I had a very weid time playing it. Sometimes I hated it and sometimes I loved it. The last part of the game was brilliant and the reason why I in the end didn't think it was so bad as everybody says it is.

bloodredreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bloodredreaper

I really enjoyed it and never finished it because of glitches causing me to restart once and then my save game getting corrupted which ended up corrupting EVERY GAME SAVE ON MY HDD. I will go back and play it soon on a USB stick.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Franstone

I don't have time at the moment to get into a huge FarCry 2 review rant at the moment but I did have some issues with it... 

Yes the game was pretty nice looking, I especially enjoyed how they made fire behaive quite naturally, could even use fire as a weapon/defense which was cool but there was definately something missing. 
    The whole weapon system was cool yet maybe the used weapons were a little too fragile, got me in a pinch more often than not as far as I can remember.  

Everyone trying to kill you every 3 minutes down the road did get a little old, just too damn repetative. 

I think maybe it was a little TOO much of a sandbox, some games work well without much direction, others I believe suffer from it. 
    Sometimes I like to be pointed in the correct direction given some good story elements are attached to it. 
    That's another part I believe FarCry2 suffered from, the story felt very disjointed which made it seem even more hollow and repetative. 
    A lot of go to the shack, talk to this guy, invade that area, kill everyone. 

Once again, getting attacked every 300 yards except for the few "safe-zones" on the map just killed it for me, screw the bus stations, think that's what ultimately stopped me from finishing the game. 
    Just grew tired of it. 
    Quite the opposite of the Crysis series or the latest greatest sandbox game Red Dead.
    beef_melody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beef_melody

Yeah, I find Far Cry 2 is a game I'm content to dabble into once a blue moon rather than have any great burning desire to play until its finished.  Maybe its the freedom which the game gives you to set your own objectives, but I find I can play for hour or so bursts and put it aside and forget about it pretty easily - the main missions seemed to suffer from the same repetition that Assassin's Creed or Prototype had for me, I didn't find the story at its core all that interesting, and the fun seemed to be in scenarios which play out almost by accident.  I did set fires and experiment with different tactics a bunch (mainly because the game insists on shoehorning this sort of encounter into your play through the interminable roadblocks) and that remains a lot of fun, but it's really just a very pretty sandbox for me.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jacdg
    @DoctorOptimist said:

" @luce said:

" Dude, me and my little brother were checking out the online and ended up having a firefight in Grove Street from GTA: SA  That map creator is ludicrous "
    The map editor from Far Cry 2 is certainly phenomenal, easily the best part of the game. 

@JacDG said:
    " It was an okay game, the single player was quite flawed but entertaining at points, the multiplayer was quite good. If I had to give it a score it would be a 7/10. "
    It would be a 6 out of 10 for me, I found the multi-player to be decent at best but the map editor is easily the best out there. Too bad it was wasted on a game that isn't really great. "
    Disagree on the map editor part, the one in Far Cry: Instincts Predator is in my opinion better. I remember having problems with the Far Cry 2 editor, and I couldn't make as much crazy stuff as I could with Instincts Predator.
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I share the exact opinion, crysis owns this game and is everything far cry 2 is trying to be. There will be no middle ground, your right, it's either a love it or hate it sort of game. Maybe they need to make a sequel and adress these complaints, then maybe most ppl will like it. It's usually about half and half.

"
    Ubisoft Montreal are currently working on Far Cry 3 and said to be addressing the issues that plagued the second game. There were also rumors that it would take place at the antarctic. I just hope they show some new gameplay footage soon at next year's GDC, I would love to play a sequel that fixes all the problems and improves from the last game. 
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @JacDG said:
    " @DoctorOptimist said:

" @luce said:

@JacDG said:
    It would be a 6 out of 10 for me, I found the multi-player to be decent at best but the map editor is easily the best out there. Too bad it was wasted on a game that isn't really great. "
    Disagree on the map editor part, the one in Far Cry: Instincts Predator is in my opinion better. I remember having problems with the Far Cry 2 editor, and I couldn't make as much crazy stuff as I could with Instincts Predator. "
    I haven't played Far Cry: Instincts Predator, was it any better or worse than Far Cry 2?
    ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ATrevelan

I absolutely adore Far Cry 2. I thought it was a refreshing change of pace. It's really a harrowing experience when you play on the higher difficulties--nothing quite like going up against 5 dudes and a jeep only to have your weapon jam on you with barely any health left. 

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @ATrevelan: It's ironic that for you to say that, because you have a Assassin's Creed avatar. Which is another "love it or hate it" game from Ubisoft Montreal, and another game that I have a mix opinion towards. Not that I have anything against you for liking both games.
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jacdg
    @DoctorOptimist said:
    " @JacDG said:
    " Disagree on the map editor part, the one in Far Cry: Instincts Predator is in my opinion better. I remember having problems with the Far Cry 2 editor, and I couldn't make as much crazy stuff as I could with Instincts Predator. "
    I haven't played Far Cry: Instincts Predator, was it any better or worse than Far Cry 2? "
    In my honest opinion, it's a actually both! I had more fun with it, but the game itself makes no sense it's a super weird game, and overall as a "game" Far Cry 2 is better, but Instincts Predator is more fun. If any of that made any sense....
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Drebin_893

A 5 star game for me. When played in short bursts, when you're just relaxing and absorbing everything coming at you.... It just approaches being pure and perfect. A really, really amazing accomplishment as far as I'm concerned. Saying that., I completely understand certain people's hatred for that game.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

I love Far Cry 2, but I recognize all of its faults.  All the review scores were fair, and I think that many of the people who hated the game didn't bother to experiment with it much.  It's the type of game where you get back what you put into it.

I wish it had some kind of co-op mode, separate from the campaign (like R6's Terrorist Hunt), instead of competitive multiplayer.  I think the awesome map editor would have been put to better use.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee
    @HypoXenophobia said:
    " Far Cry 2 is a great game from a gameplay perspective. But, it's a pity the story wasn't necessarily there to hold up equally. "
    Went on for just a little too long aswell.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked the game a lot, but there wasn't a good enough story and the loooooong ass rides to get to missions and the looooooong ass searches for diamonds to get new weapons really sucked.  Had they fixed those problems I would have loved the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I thought it was great and I actually went through all of the story and enjoyed it, your are very right it is a "love it or hate it" type game.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ATrevelan
    @DoctorOptimist: It's funny you should mention Assassin's Creed along with Far Cry 2. I think both games need to be played in short bursts (like you said about FC2) to get the most enjoyment out of them, simply because they're so repetitive. 

Also, why the hell did Ubi Montreal make FC2? I think it worked out well, but it's a really weird matchup.
    DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DoctorOptimist
    @ATrevelan: They probably did make Far Cry 2 as some sort of marketing strategy, seeing how Far Cry was popular, they decided to name their new shooter as a sequel to be more successful in the market. Far Cry 2 is a rare sequel that has nothing to do with the original.
    christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By christ0phe

Even though you could buy an upgraded stealth suit, there was no modicum of stealth in the game at all.  It was virtually impossible to hide from enemies, or to sneakily approach their bases.  That coupled with their amazing accuracy, made every mission tiresome, and a repeat of run in, shoot a lot of people, pump yourself full of medicine, and do it again.

owenneil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By owenneil

The gun play killed it for me, it takes way to many bullets to kill people (that even goes for the multiplayer) The ai is also braindead.  
    But I loved the map editor (every console game needs one!) and the setting. I need to someday sit down, and finish it.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I liked the game but I did have a few gripes about it. What I liked was how good looking the game was, especially during the day which really brought out the realism of the Savannah. Starting a fire and watching it engulf an entire trainyard was a very memorable moment and there were a lot of cool weapons to mess around with. What I didn't like was how the single player was basically mission based, no real story to help move the game along and the enemies continuously respawning at their guard posts. It's good points outweigh it's bad points for me so I'll definately go back to play some more.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.