Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fighting EX Layer

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 28, 2018

After nearly two decades, Arika returns to the signature series that started them off and pits their original Street Fighter EX characters in a new fighting game.

Details on Fighting EX Layer revealed (Release Date Window, more characters, etc)

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

So for those who missed out on a recent EX Layer stream, Akira revealed more details regarding their upcoming release for Fighting EX Layer. For a release date, they didn't announce any specific date but claimed they aim to release Fighting EX Layer exclusively on PS4 by late June (They hope to bring it to PC if is sells well enough). They also announced that this game has 2 digital versions: the first one is a "Light Version" that has 10 playable characters and 5 Gouki Decks (their gem system I believe) for $40 (two characters can be purchases separately) and the full version with all 12 characters and 15 Gouki Decks for $60. Speaking of those 12 characters, Shadowgeist was shown as the tenth playable character, but the remaining 2 have yet to be revealed.

As far as other content in this game there will unfortunately be no story mode in Fighting EX Layer, or at least for now. I'm personally bummed by this because I was hopefully for an epic tale surrounding Skullomania because who wouldn't want that, but that's not in the cards. Akira did state that there will be a "as-yet-unspecified single player" mode coming to FEL, so we'll see what that is. Akira also plans to release "Type A" and Type Gold" costumes as DLC. Lastly, it seems like there will only be Japanese voice acting for this game at launch so don't expect and English voice lines out of folks like Allen Snider or Jack.

Honestly, I hope this does well and maybe get a strong enough following, but I'm skeptical about how they are pricing those two versions. $60 seems rather much for a game that has all the characters and Gouki decks, but not much single player content to warrant the price. Compare that to Thems' Fightin Herds' Early Access launch and while that version doesn't have its Story Mode (which is apparently supposed to be like a grand RPG with fighting game mechanics) that still has a decent amount of content like arcade mode, training mode, Break the Targets and a Pixel Lobby that's similar to that of Arc System's lobbies (Guilty Gear Xrd, DBFZ). The big plus is TFH is priced at $15 and even when that story mode comes out, it will stay at $15. I know I'm comparing an indie fighting game to that of a AAA(?) fighter developed by a team with a storied legacy, but still that makes Fighting EX Layer not poor in value. But again, hopefully this does well because the world needs Skullomania more than ever!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.