Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy X

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Jul 19, 2001

The first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation 2 brought cinematic quality to the series with voice acting and fully 3D environments. The story follows Tidus, a young man transported one thousand years into the future to find a world quite unlike his own.

Seems like every year that goes by, I like FFX more and more.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Edited By Darkstar614
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X
    When Final Fantasy X first came out it was the subject of abuse from nearly everyone. Even hardcore fans were bashing it for its changes to formula and "annoying" main character Tidus(pronounced Tee-dus). 'How could they do this to Final Fantasy?!' people cried once the game was released. I feel like I was maybe part of that crowd for a while there. I played it when it came out and thought it was an "alright" entry for the Final Fantasy series, and that was that.

Now fast-forward to 2007 when I purchased the Greatest Hits version of FFX while looking around at a Best Buy. Having just recently played through Final Fantasy XII, playing FFX again felt like an amazing breath of fresh air. Mostly everything that I missed from the Final Fantasy series was still present in FFX while a couple parts were being left out for newer mechanics in FFXII. I'm not going to get into it here, but FFXII had its own set of problems. Going back to the turn-based combat of FFX was a nice blast of nostalgia. I was really starting to warm up to this game. I even got more into the optional stuff like the Monster Arena and Blitzball games, though not that deep into them just yet. I did manage to get some of the character's final weapons, including Lulu's, the one involving dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row.

Fast-forward again to 2009 when I decided to pop it back in for another playthrough. Tons of info of Final Fantasy XIII was already flooding the internet showing off its impressive graphics, new combat system, and futuristic setting. The nostalgia for the old turn-based combat was never greater playing the game this time around. Playing FFX this time I was into it pretty hardcore. I got into the characters and started to understand why each one was designed the way it was. Writing Tidus off as 'whiny' is easy to do, and its still debated today. But what people never really cared to understand is his problems are part of the story and if changed, would cause the rest of the game to fall apart. I felt like the weird character designs finally made sense and help the game feel much more complete than I ever thought it was back in 2001.  

Turn-based!
     Turn-based!
    I was pretty obsessed with the game at this point, farming all those spheres from the Monster Arena, collecting every character's final weapon (yes I even got Lulu's again!), and beating every optional boss that was available in the NA release(sorry no Penance).  I spent an enormous amount of time re-writing the sphere grid with +4 spheres to max everyone's stats out. And also spent a great deal of time in Blitzball for a reason that I can't seem to remember at this time. Everything about the game was such an awesome experience this time around.

Now with Final Fantasy XIII nearly out in NA, I start to reflect again on FFX and wonder whatever happened at Square Enix for them to go in such a different direction with the series. Seems like today there is so much hate for turn-based RPGs, but for whatever reason I still enjoy a good turn-based RPG only if the challenge is great.(think FF4 hard-type, none of this Mario&Luigi super easy stuff). 

Will square ever make another turn-based game? Probably not. But I was thinking again about FFX recently, and it really does seem like I like FFX more and more each Final Fantasy game that is released.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Darkstar614
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy X
    When Final Fantasy X first came out it was the subject of abuse from nearly everyone. Even hardcore fans were bashing it for its changes to formula and "annoying" main character Tidus(pronounced Tee-dus). 'How could they do this to Final Fantasy?!' people cried once the game was released. I feel like I was maybe part of that crowd for a while there. I played it when it came out and thought it was an "alright" entry for the Final Fantasy series, and that was that.

Now fast-forward to 2007 when I purchased the Greatest Hits version of FFX while looking around at a Best Buy. Having just recently played through Final Fantasy XII, playing FFX again felt like an amazing breath of fresh air. Mostly everything that I missed from the Final Fantasy series was still present in FFX while a couple parts were being left out for newer mechanics in FFXII. I'm not going to get into it here, but FFXII had its own set of problems. Going back to the turn-based combat of FFX was a nice blast of nostalgia. I was really starting to warm up to this game. I even got more into the optional stuff like the Monster Arena and Blitzball games, though not that deep into them just yet. I did manage to get some of the character's final weapons, including Lulu's, the one involving dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row.

Fast-forward again to 2009 when I decided to pop it back in for another playthrough. Tons of info of Final Fantasy XIII was already flooding the internet showing off its impressive graphics, new combat system, and futuristic setting. The nostalgia for the old turn-based combat was never greater playing the game this time around. Playing FFX this time I was into it pretty hardcore. I got into the characters and started to understand why each one was designed the way it was. Writing Tidus off as 'whiny' is easy to do, and its still debated today. But what people never really cared to understand is his problems are part of the story and if changed, would cause the rest of the game to fall apart. I felt like the weird character designs finally made sense and help the game feel much more complete than I ever thought it was back in 2001.  

Turn-based!
     Turn-based!
    I was pretty obsessed with the game at this point, farming all those spheres from the Monster Arena, collecting every character's final weapon (yes I even got Lulu's again!), and beating every optional boss that was available in the NA release(sorry no Penance).  I spent an enormous amount of time re-writing the sphere grid with +4 spheres to max everyone's stats out. And also spent a great deal of time in Blitzball for a reason that I can't seem to remember at this time. Everything about the game was such an awesome experience this time around.

Now with Final Fantasy XIII nearly out in NA, I start to reflect again on FFX and wonder whatever happened at Square Enix for them to go in such a different direction with the series. Seems like today there is so much hate for turn-based RPGs, but for whatever reason I still enjoy a good turn-based RPG only if the challenge is great.(think FF4 hard-type, none of this Mario&Luigi super easy stuff). 

Will square ever make another turn-based game? Probably not. But I was thinking again about FFX recently, and it really does seem like I like FFX more and more each Final Fantasy game that is released.
    TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGodPoet

I loved FFX and have replayed it multiple times. Hell I spent hours alone just playing Blitzball. That minigame was fun as hell.  

I could never have the patience to dodge 200 fucking lightning bolts. 

Anyway, the overall game was excellent. The characters and setting were good. Speaking of which I may go replay FFX.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

The characters weren't my favourite but it's a damn good game for what it is. Even in todays standards I think the game still looks and play great. I've never gotten around to finishing though. Guess I should, if only I had the bloody time.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

Final Fantasy X is on my list of older games I want to replay at some point.  It was excellent when it was released and still a classic now.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilTwin

Isn't it an awesome feeling?  I love when games get better and better the more you play them.  So many games feel like they do the opposite.  I can't say that I've ever played FFX, but I get the same feeling from Half-Life 2.  Every time I replay it, I end up appreciating it more and more.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By frankxiv

i never finished FFX but i've wanted to go back and do so recently. i just got VIII off the psn so maybe after that or something, if XIII isn't out by then

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By jacksukeru

I like turn based combat when it's done well, like it was in FFX. I mean it could be quicker and more satisfying than having to wait for those darn bars to fill up in FFXII. With that said I never finished 10, like I've yet to finish any other of the FF games except for 9 and the DS 3 & 4. Seeing as I never owned it and no longer own a Ps2 to put my memory card in I doubt I'll ever play it all the way through.

Chuggsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Chuggsy

I played it recently for the first time over this last summer (never owned a PS2 growing up), and I loved it. I liked Tidus, I though he was entertaining as a character and pretty sympathetic in spots.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I loved FFX. I was actually one of the ones who embraced it when it first came out. I felt great when I beat it, it was overall a great game. I long for a new turn-based game.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By sixghost

I'll never understand why so many RPGs were so quick to abandon turn-based combat in RPGs. It seems all of a sudden everyone decided they needed to implement some awful real-time combat system in RPGs. Maybe the genre just passed me by, but I always enjoyed JRPGs for the story and character progression, and the turn based combat was just neutral filler that wasn't great, but didn't get in the way of enjoying the game.

I had to stop playing Tales of Vesperia, even though I was enjoying the game, because the combat was just retarded.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

i replayed it recently, about 3 months ago, and i still enjoyed it thoroughly. The graphics and voice work wasn't as seamless as it looked and sounded back at launch but it was still a damn fine game.

rhodric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By rhodric

FFX is my favorite final fantasy next to 6. I like the combat, just wish it's a little more difficult.

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By nyuckelhead

I remember I got it at launch during winter break in 9th grade and being really excited about it, but when  I beat it I was kind of disappointed. Up until that point I loved every Final Fantasy game I had played (7 8 9).  maybe I should replay it, seeing as my taste in games has changed completely. back then  I only played RPGs lol

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By sopranosfan

I played FFX in the last year as well.  I think it is one of those games that I will still pick up in 10 years.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hourai

I played it about four times from 2003-2005 or so. I thought it was the best game ever, but I was also 5 years younger.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Hailinel
    @sixghost said:
    "

I'll never understand why so many RPGs were so quick to abandon turn-based combat in RPGs. It seems all of a sudden everyone decided they needed to implement some awful real-time combat system in RPGs. Maybe the genre just passed me by, but I always enjoyed JRPGs for the story and character progression, and the turn based combat was just neutral filler that wasn't great, but didn't get in the way of enjoying the game.

I had to stop playing Tales of Vesperia, even though I was enjoying the game, because the combat was just retarded.

"
    I think the blame can be squarely placed on the fools that somehow think turn-based = antiquated bullshit.
    RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By RandomHero666

Its the last good Final Fantasy that's for sure.. haven't played it in a few years =[

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Zaapp1

Just replayed this last summer after Persona 4, those games had it right...

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brendan

Everytime I play FF7 I enjoy it more and more.  The story and music are what make me appreciate it no matter how old it gets.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By shirogane

FFX was the first ff i really played an extensive amount of. The battle system was nice, apart from sometimes the really long summons. Didn't like the story and characters all that much though, mainly Tidus, urgh, hated him. And it was for almost complete opposite reasons to the ones stated above too. 

I still remember the first part of the game, it was totally epic the first time i played it.
    dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By dj

I liked both FFX and FFXII. I think it just comes down to preference. Personally I liked the characters and story of FFX way better than FFXII but the gameplay felt more fun in FFXII.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By gla55jAw

I think FFX has the best battle system. I just love how it is still turned based and you have the ability to swap characters mid battle.

The only thing that I disliked (hated actually) about this game was the fact that you could rename Tidus, so no one ever called him by his name! It drove me crazy! If I can remember correctly, they always called him "the new guy" and other lame names.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I hated FFX, and I have to think some of you are blinded by nostalgia in your reasoning.  I finished it in late January, 2010 for the first time and I was so glad when the credits rolled because I couldn't take it anymore.  The characters were terrible, the story was terrible, the combat was okay but random battles without seeing the monsters is so antiquated and stupid that it drove me nuts, I disliked the sphere grid system, Blitzball was pointless and boring (thank god it wasn't necessary), summoning Aeons and watching the freakishly long animations every single freaking time was frustrating and the puzzle sections of the game broke the momentum and were completely unnecessary.

I'm looking forward to FFXIII, though.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By hockeymask27
    @Hailinel said:
    " @sixghost said:
    "

"
    I think the blame can be squarely placed on the fools that somehow think turn-based = antiquated bullshit. "

@Zaapp1 said:

"Just replayed this last summer after Persona 4, those games had it right... "

Could not agree more. I dont care waht anyone says a turn based game should have real turns. I hate the action bar crap. I like to take my time and plan out if my team can take another hit or should i go looking through my inventory.
    soccerkid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By soccerkid82

I just picked this back up a couple of days ago (after getting my launch PS3 back from Sony) and I've been going through playing the game using the No Sphere Grid rule (I can customize weapons, upgrade aeons, and use all of my overdrives...but i'm not touching the sphere grid).  So far I'm up to the Calm Lands and this DEFINITELY adds replayability to the game.  If you guys are interested in the rules to the challenge or a walkthrough check out Gamefaqs.com. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.