Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 11, 2017

The Zodiac Age is a remake of 2006's Final Fantasy XII that includes a job system that was previously only available in the Japan-only "International" edition. The remake also includes various other additions and enhancements.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Announced For PC And Steam (Feb. 1st Date; Bonus Features Included)

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

In an announcement that will surprise no one, Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age will be released on PC. The date for the release of the port is February 1st, which is two weeks from today. As seen on Square's website, all PC versions of the port will include the following features:

60FPS - Ivalice will look better than ever with the game running at 60FPS.

Compatible with 21:9 ultra-wide monitors - Up to three HD monitors can be used for a potential 48(16x3):9 experience.

New Game Plus and New Game Minus - Post-game content modes are now accessible from the beginning of the game.

Three background music options – The original, re-orchestrated and soundtrack versions are now available from the beginning of the game.

Maximized License Points and Gil - New functionality added to grant players max License Points and Gil from the configuration screen.

Full controller support, Steam Trading Cards and more to optimize the PC player experience.

It should be noted many of the "cheating" features are quality of life features added to virtually every modern PC port of a Final fantasy game. Those who purchase the game early on Steam (within the first week of launch) will be rewarded with a 20% discount, a three-track digital music compilation, and a new "STEAM Skin illustrated by famed FINAL FANTASY artist Isamu Kamikokuryo." Square will also be selling Collector's Edition of the game valued at $149.99. This version must be pre-ordered on Square's website.

Source

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

60 WHOLE FPS I'm there. Looking forward to picking it up, but I don't know if I really want to pay 50 bucks for it. (Oh, of course I will.)

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can be Captain Basch at 60 FPS. Now that's living the dream.

Avatar image for pistolpackinpoet
    PistolPackinPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By PistolPackinPoet

yesss! I can't wait!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

FFXII: the great FF that everyone forgets.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Playing through it on PS4 right now. About nine hours in so far. I am completely in love with this game. The writing is very good thanks to a competent translation job, and the Japanese VA is excellent too. It may be my favourite FF game so far after IX, which is my baby. VIVI IS THE BEST.

I haven't finished FF7 yet, but I got to the very end of FF VIII before my PS3 broke, beat IX, X, XV, and will definitely finish XII. The PC versions of III and IV are next, then I'll play the SNES versions of V and VI, and beat VII finally.

For me, so far, it's:

IX, XII, XV, X as my top 4 I've played. Didn't like VIII much.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The PS4 version is a fantastic game. I've adored the changes they made in the Zodiac Age version (the restrictions of the Zodiac License system along with the new option for two Jobs allows for your entire party to feel mechanically unique and useful). The jump to full-HD does wonders to FFXII: I'd played the PS2 version as recently as 2016 and the extra clarity breathed new life even in the areas that are mostly untouched.

The Zodiac Age brought me some of my dearest gaming moments of 2017: I adore just existing in that world's sense of place. People often go on about the battle-system of XII (the Gambit-system), but honestly, I feel the greatest defining feature of XII is its story structure and consistent tone in setting. They create a world filled with colour that doesn't feel (ironically for the series title) overtly fantastical. XII revels in painting a picture of Ivalice as, in fact, not being the result of the war which guides the story, but instead, the sum of many cultures trying to live their daily lives under the tyranny of both the feuding elite and the growing hostility of nature.

It held up remarkably well on PS4 so I'd jump at the chance to experience that world again through a 21:9 display at 60FPS if I had that kind of PC set-up.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Still salty that they haven’t provided an option to use the original soundtrack in the any of their Kingdom Hearts Collections.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@clagnaught: You mean CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMSACA, right?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZombiePie  Staff

For those wondering what my response is to this news, Céline Dion said it best:

Loading Video...

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: So, you're so happy that no one could possibly relate to the amount of joy you're experiencing right now and therefore you feel all alone.

That's deep.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
    soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The cheat/quality of life additions are certainly interesting. It really gets me thinking about difficulty vs time spent, intentional vs unintentional design decisions of games these days especially after my recent experience of 260+ hours with Persona 5 at the lowest difficulty.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade - I'm seriously contemplating buying this game a third time myself - but I am not going to buy it on day one. I'm going to wait until some very smart people figure out if running this game at 60FPS fucks up any calculations and if so, what calculations they are and how they're fucked up.

In other news, I eagerly await @zombiepie's series of blog posts/old-fashioned Let's Plays inevitably praising this game to no end. Or complaining about how the combat's boring and the dialog is a bunch of wannabe Shakespearean nonsense, one of the two.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BASCH LIVES (in 60 fps)!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't care as much about 60 frames as I care about whether or not you can change the camera from inverted to normal.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait to buy this at 50% off at some point :)

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I remember right, Gino doesn't like XII very much so this will surely make for an interesting podcast series when/if you guys eventually get to it.

I don't care as much about 60 frames as I care about whether or not you can change the camera from inverted to normal.

That was fixed in The Zodiac Age, thankfully.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Awesome. I finished half of this on the PS2 and don't have a PS4 so this is perfect for me.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZombiePie  Staff

@zombiepie: So, you're so happy that no one could possibly relate to the amount of joy you're experiencing right now and therefore you feel all alone.

That's deep.

In other news, I eagerly await @zombiepie's series of blog posts/old-fashioned Let's Plays inevitably praising this game to no end. Or complaining about how the combat's boring and the dialog is a bunch of wannabe Shakespearean nonsense, one of the two.

I can attest that @thatpinguino's ideas are worse than mine.

No Caption Provided

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, already own this on PS4, but I own a 21:9 PC monitor and really want to support any game that explicitly comes out supporting that aspect ratio; especially a FF title. hmmm.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Justin258

@zombiepie: I seem to remember you mentioning elsewhere that Final Fantasies I and XIII were next on your list for this year, so I figured you wouldn't get around to XII this year. I am quite glad to see that you'll finally play a pre-Nomura FF game

(yes, yes, Nomura worked on VI, I know, but he didn't have a big role in that game).

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will the PC version offer a quick save feature? That's the only thing keeping me from going back to this game in any fashion. Some of those dungeons are long!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.