Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

Is it odd that I want to play 13-2 but not 13?

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

I'm very oddly interested in 13-2 but I've never played 13. In fact the last final fantasy game I've played was 10, when it was new.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

There's lots of reasons to not want to play 13.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Morrow

@Shun_Akiyama:

Well, considering 13-2 got a lot more positive feedback than 13, it's not that surprising.

However, even if you don't need to play 13 to understand 13-2, I suggest it if you are into characters of a game. 13-2 has a fun gameplay, but the characters and their motives are marked by the events of 13. Playing thru it will give you a deeper understanding and you'll enjoy the game more, in my opinion.

I, personally, also like Lightnings rise from the soldier/L'Cie to a fighter with almost godlike powers. It's a huge difference if you just read thru the backstory (13-2 gives you the option to), or if you're playing thru the actual events in 13.

But it's all a matter of taste and ppl who didn't like 13 will most likely tell you to skip it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It is odd.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

I'll wait till it's 20 bucks and buy some of this wacky DLC with it.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Canteu

If you don't like 13, you probably won't like 13-2. I mean, they're pretty much the same game. It's like any other numbered sequel for most franchises.

Don't like gears 1/2? Won't like Gears 3.

Bob_Fossil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bob_Fossil

FF13 was fuckingshit 13-2 isn't bad.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@Shun_Akiyama said:

I'm very oddly interested in 13-2 but I've never played 13. In fact the last final fantasy game I've played was 10, when it was new.

Not really. Final Fantasy XIII-2 is superior in a number of ways to FFXIII. And Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes with a primer on the events of the previous game in case you'd rather just skip it.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I say give 13 and try unless you really don't want to. It may not be a necessary prerequisite to 13-2 but I feel that 13 is a solid game worth checking out. I prefer it to 13-2 myself.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Addfwyn

It's...not exceptionally odd, you can certainly enjoy the game without having played XIII. That said, it's worth giving XIII a shot as there is a lot of world setup (and some familiar characters that return in XIII-2) that would be beneficial. There's a primer in XIII-2 so it's not strictly necessary. XIII isn't really a bad game at all, it does have a fairly vocal minority of detractors is all, and you can get through it relatively quickly if you don't want to try getting a Platinum on it.

But yeah, you won't be utterly lost if you haven't played XIII, if that is your concern. Or if you played XIII and just didn't like it that much, skipping the rest is okay as well. Worth at least trying though.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Chemin

Since XIII is the better game, I'd say that you are crazy. But it's not odd. If XIII-2 fancies your interest, go for it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Not really.

But FFXIII is enjoyable too. And it's cheap. Play it first, and by the time you finish it pick up XIII-2 at a lower price.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TentPole

@Canteu said:

If you don't like 13, you probably won't like 13-2. I mean, they're pretty much the same game. It's like any other numbered sequel for most franchises.

Don't like gears 1/2? Won't like Gears 3.

I cannot disagree with this more. Did not like 13 and did not finish 13.

I Love 13-2 mostly because it is such a different game. It is super open and feels to me like comparing Super Castlevania 4 to Symphony of the Night. The actual combat and setting of the games is similar but the framework is so very different as to make it a very different experience. Where Gears 3 is just a more refined Gears game. 13-2 is something else entirely.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Vexxan

FFXIII-2 is a way better game than FFXIII but tbh you kinda need to know what happened in the first game before playing the second one.

Feruos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Feruos

Oh well it's not odd at all. There are lots of things that gets one interested in a game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I totally played Final Fantasy X-2 without touching FFX and my only real knowledge of the prior game's story coming from Spoony's review of it. Of course, that was kind of the point, as not giving one about the plot of Final Fantasy X is instrumental in enjoying Final Fantasy X-2.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By makari

13-2 is a better game overall. 13 gets a lot of valid criticism for spreading itself too thin over an achingly long period of time. If you're prepared to suffer through its painful gameplay pacing it ends up ok but very uneven. If you're the kind of person to have to suffer through an average JRPG let alone one with poor pacing it's probably best to just skip to 13-2 and watch the primer that's included on the title screen which tells the story of 13 in shorthand for just that purpose.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.