Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Both the PS3 and XBOX360 version to be exactly the same.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

Producer of the final fantasy franchise Yoshinori Kitase came out to say that even though FFXIII development platform is the PS3 the 360 version will be ported and optimised to match the quality of the PS3 version.

So except some rampant fanboys no one loses.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AaronBelfast

This is the way it should have been from the start. I still blame Sony for the crap ports though.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By KamasamaK

I don't recall anyone ever saying anything differently. Obviously they will optimize it in the hope to make them both on par, though that's no guarantee.

AaronBelfast
    said:

"This is the way it should have been from the start. I still blame Sony for the crap ports though."
    Care to explain that?
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Endogene
    Kamasama said:
    "I don't recall anyone ever saying anything differently. Obviously they will optimize it in the hope to make them both on par, though that's no guarantee.

AaronBelfast
    said:
    "This is the way it should have been from the start. I still blame Sony for the crap ports though."
    Care to explain that?"
    FF7 PC
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

The bad Final Fantasy VII port is entirely Squaresoft's fault. The way this game was coded was a complete mess, especially the depth information on the prerendered backgrounds. Combine that with the fact that most of the data of the programming process wasn't preserved, a proper FFVII PC-port would have costed more time and money than would  have been profitable.

Information for backgrounds was saved in a single, encoded file, including the image data in bits and pieces all over the place, the dialogue data, and the depth information bound to the image pieces. If they wanted to port it to the PC, using higher resolution images, they'd had to extract every file, rerender the image, completely re-do the depth information and write an entirely new engine for the game to run these files.

On top of that, with proper coding the game would not have needed to take up more than two discs, and that's only because video encoding wasn't so hot those days.

You could excuse that by saying that this was the first game of its kind, that the project started as N64 game, and that Square just didn't know better. Either way, the way Final Fantasy VII was finished for the PlayStation, a proper PC port was  never possible. They just basically put that game into an emulator, wrote "EIDOS" on top of it and sold it as PC game.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    Endogene said:
    "Producer of the final fantasy franchise Yoshinori Kitase came out to say that even though FFXIII development platform is the PS3 the 360 version will be ported and optimised to match the quality of the PS3 version.

So except some rampant fanboys no one loses."
    Actually it goes more like this, "The fact is, the PS3 version is what's in development right now, and the team is working to specialize that version to the very best of the PS3's abilities" and "after that, we'll do the 360 port and optimize it to that particular hardware."

- Kotaku Article
    AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AaronBelfast
    Kamasama said:
    AaronBelfast said:
    Care to explain that?"
    It doesn't take a genius to work it out, Sony made the PS3s architecture difficult by implementing "teh cell" and devs didn't have have a clue.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

The whole thing just makes me more iffy about the game.

I mean, if Squeenix's focus is to make money on two consoles and try to make both games equal that means that they won't use the PS3's full capabilities. I mean, if Lost Odyssey was 4 discs, how many will FF XIII be unless they cut corners?
    Just saying no one wants to buy a 6 disc game.

So, either they're lying or their gonna make the game worse than it can be.

Joy.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    Red said:
    Just saying no one wants to buy a 6 disc game."
    People would buy a final fantasy game if it was on 20 disks.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
    Red said:
    "The whole thing just makes me more iffy about the game.
    I mean, if Squeenix's focus is to make money on two consoles and try to make both games equal that means that they won't use the PS3's full capabilities. I mean, if Lost Odyssey was 4 discs, how many will FF XIII be unless they cut corners?
    Just saying no one wants to buy a 6 disc game.

So, either they're lying or their gonna make the game worse than it can be.

Joy.
    "
    I dunno. I get the impression from the actual article and not the original poster that Square are committed to making a PLAYSTATION 3 game right at this moment. Once they finish it, THEN they'll concentrate on a port.

Of course I'm sure they will always have the 360 version in the back of their minds but... well... they'll work it out.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Red
    MattyFTM said:
    "Red said:
    People would buy a final fantasy game if it was on 20 disks."

Yeah, the hardcore would buy it. Would retailers want to stock it? No. Would Squeenix want to make it? No. Would gamers want to keep 6 discs in order to play the game? No.
    And, with that time that they're porting the PS3 version to the 360 (which could be pretty hard) they could port something we'd actually want ported. Maybe Secret of Mana? Maybe FF7? Whatever it is, FFXIII being ported on the 360 can't be a good thing.
    ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By ColMustard

I just hope Square-Enix can put a quality product out period.  I'm beginning to lose hope.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    Red said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "Red said:

Yeah, the hardcore would buy it. Would retailers want to stock it? No. Would Squeenix want to make it? No. Would gamers want to keep 6 discs in order to play the game? No.
    And, with that time that they're porting the PS3 version to the 360 (which could be pretty hard) they could port something we'd actually want ported. Maybe Secret of Mana? Maybe FF7? Whatever it is, FFXIII being ported on the 360 can't be a good thing.
    "
    But it will be a good thing for Square because all the XBOT's that slagged off the Final Fantasy series while it was a Sony exclusive will rush out to buy it in their droves.
    Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Endogene
    Red said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "Red said:

"
    Ehhhh a 6 disc game does not come in 6 different boxes. And yeah people will keep 6 discs in order to play the game since they are in the same box. It was a common thing before DVDs.

Also sorry every one if my first post is not the most accurate, i had to translate it.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By zitosilva
    Red said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "Red said:

"
    I don't get it. Why wouldn't stores and players want to keep a 6 disc game? It's not like they will occupy a lot more of space. And I see no problems in just changing the disc evry once in a very long while. We used to do that with the Ps1. It wasn't a problem then, I don't see why it would be now.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By vidiot

I have a lot of mixed feelings when I read something like this, especially being a 360 and PS3 owned.
    On one hand I'm glad that no version will be gimped or cut from a technical standpoint. I'm not a fan of ports that are technically inferior on other consoles.
    On the other hand, Final Fantasy for me is still this monumental series that should push whatever consoles limitations are. I play something like Metal Gear Solid 4, yes it could be ported to another console, but play the first few moments of that game and you know you're playing something that on a technical level that would be difficult to achieve elsewhere. I don't want this previously exclusively made to be diminished as a product for the sake of multi platform.

They can rant about all the technical wizardry they can do on the 360. I will continue to be highly skeptical due to there very recent track record on the 360.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Discorsi

people are lazy.  There is nothing wrong with disk swapping.

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Echelon730

FF Fanboys should be happy because now the audience is being expanded and the only people who should bitch are sony of america execs

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Red said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    "Red said:

"
    yes because square enix has been the source of the best games as of late right? their ports have been the most amazing things ever right? Sorry to say but its been proven fact nearly every where if its not named final fantasy, kingdom hearts, dragon quest or chrono trigger it doesn't score high or sell well in the realm of JRPGS, even in squares own product line this is true.

Sorry to say but if you think they are gonan do any thing with secret of mana then your insane, I mean hell they opted to do a crappy port of Chrono trigger onto the DS instead of letting the Fanmade 3d remake get released, Square has no itention of releaseing old games in a brand new form let alone in a good port unless its gonna make them massive amounts of money even then they still release bad ports, If they could have gotten away with it they wouldn't have remade FF3 or 4 they would have some sloppy DS ports with some shitty addons instead of the full 3d conversions they did.

Square learned from EA not to take chances and just concentrate on their main franchise then treat nearly all their other products like a rarely see's you dead beat never around father.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

I am re-playing through FFVII so it is making me really excited for this game. I really want to get into another RPG and I hope this is the one. :D

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok

I don't see what the issue is with games releasing with multiple discs. This has been going on since games have gone onto discs, so why is this just now starting to affect people's decisions? Having games on multiple discs doesn't change anything besides the fact you have to take 20 seconds to get your lazy ass up and swap the discs. Jesus christ, have we got so lazy that we can't even handle that anymore?

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By William
    Meowayne said:
    "The bad Final Fantasy VII port is entirely Squaresoft's fault. The way this game was coded was a complete mess, especially the depth information on the prerendered backgrounds. Combine that with the fact that most of the data of the programming process wasn't preserved, a proper FFVII PC-port would have costed more time and money than would  have been profitable.

Information for backgrounds was saved in a single, encoded file, including the image data in bits and pieces all over the place, the dialogue data, and the depth information bound to the image pieces. If they wanted to port it to the PC, using higher resolution images, they'd had to extract every file, rerender the image, completely re-do the depth information and write an entirely new engine for the game to run these files.

On top of that, with proper coding the game would not have needed to take up more than two discs, and that's only because video encoding wasn't so hot those days.

You could excuse that by saying that this was the first game of its kind, that the project started as N64 game, and that Square just didn't know better. Either way, the way Final Fantasy VII was finished for the PlayStation, a proper PC port was  never possible. They just basically put that game into an emulator, wrote "EIDOS" on top of it and sold it as PC game."
    dang.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gameboi

I never had any doubts. Developers have had plenty of time to figure out both consoles by now.  I  believe exclusives are important to the overall health of the industry, but it's still great news for those without a PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.