Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

FF 13 is now the second worst Final fantasy

• 98 results
    swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By swat200
    @WinterSnowblind: which one do you consider the worst if you count out X-2?
    Vyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Vyse

I don't think its a bad game because it had no towns but, they could have at least put something in the game to break up the endless battles. This is the first FF where I never felt like I part of the world because there was really no one to talk to. The first half of the game at least is just a bunch of random areas you run through that I don't remember the names of because they weren't important at all.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By the8bitNacho

Sorry you feel that way.  Personally it feels like every other Final Fantasy to me, only with a deeper battle system.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By swat200
    @Vyse: yea i kinda got that feeling too. i mean the producers say that its better now cause every civilian is voiced over but the audio levels on each civ are so damn low you cant hear what they are saying so eventually you just stop bothering.  which makes you feel like your on some creepy disconnected ghost planet
    Kelswitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Kelswitch

Oh, opinions..

Vyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Vyse
    @Kombat: Don't get me wrong, I love the battle system of this game...it's just the rest of the game I'm iffy about.

@swat200: Well, the problem with the people was that there were only about 20 people you could talk to. Technically, you couldn't even talk to them though, you just had to eavesdrop on their conversation.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

I loved FFX-2. 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Andorski

At least the OP isn't hating on XII.  FFXII was a good game, haters.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @swat200 said:
    " @WinterSnowblind: which one do you consider the worst if you count out X-2? "
    III. 

Perhaps it's because it was so dated by the time it was released on the DS.  Even with the cardboard characters added to it the story was poor, the progression was bad and the job system was a mess.  Didn't really like anything about that one.  If you mean including all of the spin-offs.. I couldn't even begin to think what would be the worst.

Also wasn't a fan of X it's characters and it's melodrama.  A lot of people heavily critisize II, but I felt it at least attempted something pretty amazing.
    For me IV, VI and IX are the strongest.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#60  Edited By meptron
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    @Meptron said:

" The game is terrific. I also loved 12 and disliked 10. Seems like my opinions on FF games are usually pretty unpopular...  Also, 8 sucked. 7 and 9 were awesome. And 6 was better than 4.  Let the madness begin!!!! "

This post makes Ex-Death sad. Very sad.  He is a sad tree now. How does that make you feel?  "
    lol. Well, it's hard for me to rank 5, since I was older when I first played it. See, I have memories of playing FF4 and FF6 on the snes back it the day when they were still called FF2 and FF3 in north america. I didn't play 5 until it was released for the GBA. Not the same experience. I think I would have liked it a lot at the time... but its hard to say where it would have stood.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Jeust said:
     For me the main problem is that it feels a step back when compared with FFXII.   "
    Different team, different ideas. 12 is my favorite and I love it far more than 13 and I will never put as many hours into 13 as I did 12 I can say with certainty, however, I didn't go into 13 expecting it to build off what 12 created simply because it'd be like going into CoD WaW expecting it to be as epic as CoD4 was at the time. The teams have different goals, hell 12 was so different even Nomura didn't even do character design, it was all Yoshida. 

It's not fair to call it a step backwards since it was different people behind most of it.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By Jeust
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @Jeust said:
     For me the main problem is that it feels a step back when compared with FFXII.   "
    Different team, different ideas. 12 is my favorite and I love it far more than 13 and I will never put as many hours into 13 as I did 12 I can say with certainty, however, I didn't go into 13 expecting it to build off what 12 created simply because it'd be like going into CoD WaW expecting it to be as epic as CoD4 was at the time. The teams have different goals, hell 12 was so different even Nomura didn't even do character design, it was all Yoshida.  It's not fair to call it a step backwards since it was different people behind most of it. "
    You are right, but even if they are from different teams, still looks like a step back on the franchise, like from a wide and open ended world to a small and straight walkway. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucas_kelly said:
    " I wouldn't even call it a Final Fantasy game. "
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Lambert

I would say the worst Final Fantasy game.

And probably the worst game to come out this year.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By DystopiaX

I just had a dream that I finished FFXIII in one day, but instead of the turn based battle system it was real time like Fallout, and everyone had guns.  
    It was weird.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By xyzygy
    @ricetopher said:

" @swat200: You haven't come across Lambert yet? You soon will though since this is a FF13 thread. "

Oh, he's here now, saying things you'd expect of him. 

@Lambert said:
    " I would say the worst Final Fantasy game. And probably the worst game to come out this year. "
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#67  Edited By Symphony
    @swat200 said:
    "  also when i heard the sphere grid was comming back i was excited......till they decided to cap it so i couldn't power level my characters. . "
    Made me LOL. Someone  forgot about the lock nodes that effectively capped your characters until you reached  certain points in the game.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Symphony: Quite true, but iirc in X you could overpower your guys much earlier than in 13 and it surely went faster once it was possible. Though it required good planning so w/e.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#69  Edited By Symphony
    @Zenaxzd: Indeed, but you could do pretty much everything earlier in X than XIII. 

They should bring back the draw system (and 1000 exp per level) from VIII so you can power level to max at the very beginning of the game!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#70  Edited By Hailinel
    @Symphony said:
    " @Zenaxzd: Indeed, but you could do pretty much everything earlier in X than XIII.  They should bring back the draw system (and 1000 exp per level) from VIII so you can power level to max at the very beginning of the game! "
    And then suffer the consequences when you get to the end!
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By eclipsesis

I think i have enjoyed every Final Fantasy there has ever been, each unique, self contained to me its what i expect from the franchise and so what, out of the 30+ games which carry the Final Fantasy brand that a few don't live up to expectations i can only think of 4 that let me down-ish and out of that many games thats a pretty impressive ratio. Anyways i enjoyed FFXIII the game its has excellent production value, and i can tell the team which worked on it really tried hard.   

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By Catolf
    @Lambert said:
    " I would say the worst Final Fantasy game. And probably the worst game to come out this year. "
    Pfft.. yeah.. and all those disney games slip right under that flawed radar.  Opinions are opinions but.. yeah..nu

@eclipsesis said:
    " I think i have enjoyed every Final Fantasy there has ever been, each unique, self contained to me its what i expect from the franchise and so what, out of the 30+ games which carry the Final Fantasy brand that a few don't live up to expectations i can only think of 4 that let me down-ish and out of that many games thats a pretty impressive ratio. Anyways i enjoyed FFXIII the game its has excellent production value, and i can tell the team which worked on it really tried hard.    "
    I'm enjoying FF13 myself as well, much more than any other FF out there. I've never been very good at turn base combat and I always get stuck SOMEWHERE and give up. Then I played 12 and enjoyed it immensely (and still do) sow hen I heard about 13 I knew I had to pick it up, the combat is amazing and the story is very well done with even background lore you can get into. I think it's a great installment, the linear elements aren't as bad as people say and I really don't like distractions from the quest at hand. 

Unlike ff12 where there was SOOOO much to do you kinda forgot from time to time how to get the story going again. XP
    swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By swat200
    @Symphony: yea but they wernt a problem when i went to power level my guys at the end game. in this they are
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By Animasta

Final fantasy XII didn't have a  very good (or even original, it was star wars In a fantasy setting basically)  but the battle system and shit were choice

also bathier OWNED

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75  Edited By CountRockula
    @swat200:   I don't really have anything to say about FF XIII since I haven't played it.  I just wanted to let you know that your love of X and hatred for X-2 make you the second worst person.

Ever.

After this guy:

No Caption Provided
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#76  Edited By ch13696

Sounds like someone woke up in a cranky mood. Anyways, I'm not gonna piss on your opinion. Ok...yes I am. Now just shutup and listen. Have you tried playing after the story? I take it you haven't. Because there's a lot more to be done afterwards. Especially the big ass creatures. Besides, I don't know how many times Square has mentioned that they are always changing the formula on the Final Fantasy games. This is a first that I'm seeing for any JRPG. And I like change. Everyone else chould too, because it will continue to happen.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ch13696
    @CountRockula said:

" @swat200:   I don't really have anything to say about FF XIII since I haven't played it.  I just wanted to let you know that your love of X and hatred for X-2 make you the second worst person.

Ever.

After this guy:

No Caption Provided
    "
    I second this. Except that I like all Final Fanatsy's (except for that dreaded XI. Way to ruin the numbering Square).
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By xyzygy
    @ch13696 said:
    " Sounds like someone woke up in a cranky mood. Anyways, I'm not gonna piss on your opinion. Ok...yes I am. Now just shutup and listen. Have you tried playing after the story? I take it you haven't. Because there's a lot more to be done afterwards. Especially the big ass creatures. Besides, I don't know how many times Square has mentioned that they are always changing the formula on the Final Fantasy games. This is a first that I'm seeing for any JRPG. And I like change. Everyone else chould too, because it will continue to happen. "
    Yes! RPGs need change from game to game! And that's what the FF creators have nailed.  

The complainers are those who are too used to other RPGs staying the same way they are.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Hailinel
    @xyzygy said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " Sounds like someone woke up in a cranky mood. Anyways, I'm not gonna piss on your opinion. Ok...yes I am. Now just shutup and listen. Have you tried playing after the story? I take it you haven't. Because there's a lot more to be done afterwards. Especially the big ass creatures. Besides, I don't know how many times Square has mentioned that they are always changing the formula on the Final Fantasy games. This is a first that I'm seeing for any JRPG. And I like change. Everyone else chould too, because it will continue to happen. "
    Yes! RPGs need change from game to game! And that's what the FF creators have nailed.   The complainers are those who are too used to other RPGs staying the same way they are. "
    Which just makes all the complaining that FFXIII is somehow not a "true Final Fantasy" all the more ridiculous.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Catolf
    @Hailinel said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    Yes! RPGs need change from game to game! And that's what the FF creators have nailed.   The complainers are those who are too used to other RPGs staying the same way they are. "
    Which just makes all the complaining that FFXIII is somehow not a "true Final Fantasy" all the more ridiculous. "
    But we all know the complaining will never stop. No matter what someone will complain about one thing or another. I enjoy when a RPG can change things up, give me something new to look forward too. 

No XII didn't exactly have a story line I bother to really pay attention too (as much as I love politices in my games -as well as anime Code Geass FTW/ Gundam-) but this one there was so much to do the story kinda got lost on the wayside. But I loved the MMO style combat, it was different, refreshing.  And I became hooked.

Every Final Fantasy isn't for everyone, you may love one where someone will think it's shit, but Final Fantasy goes HAVE a game for everyone, it's just when someone declares this is better than that, that we get threads like this, that become nothing more than fanboyism (or fangirlism) of declaring why  THIS Final fantasy is shit or THIS one is the Best under the sun and NO ONE CAN SAY OTHERWISE RAWR.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81  Edited By Marz

i dunno Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles seems pretty bad, i'd say worse than XIII, oh wait i forgot bout Dirge of Cerberus, that one was pretty bad too.

pachowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By pachowski
    @Meptron: i think you are totally right, 7 and 9 were awesome!!!!! I started XIII yestreday and i hope the same
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#83  Edited By EpicSteve
    @Swaboo said:
    " The only problem with it is the lack of content in the post game, making it a ridiculously long grind to get money for that stupid treasure hunter trophy.  If the enemies dropped gil maybe that would have fixed that problem too...  "
    No need for content in post-game when no one is finishing it. 
    BAM!
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Catolf
    @Marz said:
    " i dunno Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles seems pretty bad, i'd say worse than XIII, oh wait i forgot bout Dirge of Cerberus, that one was pretty bad too. "
    I didn't think it was that bad, it was cute, I'm just irritated with that damn moogle!
    Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Swaboo
    @EpicSteve said:
    " @Swaboo said:
    " The only problem with it is the lack of content in the post game, making it a ridiculously long grind to get money for that stupid treasure hunter trophy.  If the enemies dropped gil maybe that would have fixed that problem too...  "
    No need for content in post-game when no one is finishing it.  BAM! "
    True for a lot of people but final fantasy games have almost always had that uber mega boss that you had to power up as much as possible to beat, like the omega weapons and such in FF7. Unfortunately in this game there isn't really... and thats sad cuz you pretty much only power up to farm some more.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Swaboo said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    " @Swaboo said:
    No need for content in post-game when no one is finishing it.  BAM! "
    True for a lot of people but final fantasy games have almost always had that uber mega boss that you had to power up as much as possible to beat, like the omega weapons and such in FF7. Unfortunately in this game there isn't really... and thats sad cuz you pretty much only power up to farm some more. "
    Do what? I haven't gotten to the hardest missions yet but from what I've read planning out my way to S ranking the game there certainly seems to be plenty of hard bosses. Granted that is all subjective because the only boss I would consider "uber mega hard" in the series is yiazmat in 12.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#87  Edited By KingBroly

I really don't care about reviews.  The game is awesome in my eyes.  Sure it might start out slow, but the combat keeps me interested.  Just like Tales of Vesperia kept me interested with its' combat system and it got similar scores. 

It's definitely a better game than Final Fantasy 2, 3, X-2 and I'll say XII because XII had a ton of required grinding in order to beat anything.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Hailinel
    @Marz said:
    " i dunno Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles seems pretty bad, i'd say worse than XIII, oh wait i forgot bout Dirge of Cerberus, that one was pretty bad too. "
    For what it was, I actually liked Dirge of Cerberus.  I thought that game was actually pretty fun.
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By inkeiren

That's funny, because it's my second favorite Final Fantasy.

I've played 6,7,8,9,10,10-2,11,12, and 13.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Ket87

TC sorry but it is the "fans" like you that are holding Final Fantasy back. SE will never break from the tired ass JRPG formula if you give them shit for taking a chance on some new ideas. The sphere grid was a stupid over complex mess, the crystarium is a nice neat way to hide the traditional character level. As for it capping you off at certain points? You are NOT supposed to spend 5 hours in the same area grinding yourself till you are overleveled, thats a boring tedius JRPG convention that needs to stop and it completely unbalances the game. Not getting the ultimate weapons till after the final boss is because you have things to do after the final boss unlike any other game where it just ends. Some side quests require you to have beaten the game to be strong enough to finish. I would think content that keeps you playing after you beat it is considered great replay value.

There hasn't been a great FF game in a decade (10 sucked get over it) and there will not be anytime soon if people don't give them a chance. 13 is by no means an amazing game but it is different and not different in unrecognizable as FF different like 12. Final Fantasy has to evolve, it already has the barrier of a Japanese developer who always fears change. Don't complicate it but having them take any sort of risk then say its the worst game ever made. I'd rather see the series elevated back to the forefront of RPGs than to have haters regress this series back to grinding random encounters forever while wandering complicated dungeons then dying because I ran out of potions and phoenix downs.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Catolf
    @Ket87 said:
    " TC sorry but it is the "fans" like you that are holding Final Fantasy back. SE will never break from the tired ass JRPG formula if you give them shit for taking a chance on some new ideas. The sphere grid was a stupid over complex mess, the crystarium is a nice neat way to hide the traditional character level. As for it capping you off at certain points? You are NOT supposed to spend 5 hours in the same area grinding yourself till you are overleveled, thats a boring tedius JRPG convention that needs to stop and it completely unbalances the game. Not getting the ultimate weapons till after the final boss is because you have things to do after the final boss unlike any other game where it just ends. Some side quests require you to have beaten the game to be strong enough to finish. I would think content that keeps you playing after you beat it is considered great replay value.  There hasn't been a great FF game in a decade (10 sucked get over it) and there will not be anytime soon if people don't give them a chance. 13 is by no means an amazing game but it is different and not different in unrecognizable as FF different like 12. Final Fantasy has to evolve, it already has the barrier of a Japanese developer who always fears change. Don't complicate it but having them take any sort of risk then say its the worst game ever made. I'd rather see the series elevated back to the forefront of RPGs than to have haters regress this series back to grinding random encounters forever while wandering complicated dungeons then dying because I ran out of potions and phoenix downs. "
    This all the way.

I like the way FF has evolved and the idea of them going back tot he way it was sadden's me, because only sense XII have I been able to play a Final Fantasy without getting stuck really early on. I don't like turn based, more like I suck at them horribly. It's the reason I'm stuck at X, so XII and XIII are great for me, cause it's not a traditional RPG. I could only play FF tactic's before these two came along.. XP

Ah well, I got versus to get yet before I can't play FF again..*sigh*
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ryanwho

Im so glad someone managed to work Hitler into this thread.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By harinosho
    @swat200 said:

" there are SOME redeeming points. like i said its not the worst just damn near. the battle system is well put together. "

i hear the best  redeeming point is the end credits.
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#94  Edited By obcdexter

It was an okay game after it finally opened up. Really boring beforehand.
    I couldn't have cared less for the characters.
    Combat was awesome - best part of the game by a large margin. 
    Cid was a joke, so was Rosch - way too few appearances to care about either of those ... 

The XIII universe just didn't do it for me, I still enjoyed PLAYING it, however. (I still do, tbh)

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By KingX

Well I can't safley say this aint one of the best FF games in the series.. It takes way too much time before it opens up and the grid system they tweakede from FF12 is tweaked in the wrong way to say the least!
    But its still better than FF8 and ffx-2! FF8 had a good story and all BUT the fact u only could upgrade your weapons in that game made it fall apart bigtime.. 
    Thisone.. well. they could have done alot better! the fighting system on the other hand is brilliant WHEN it finally opens up which takes way too much time...

allhailthetv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By allhailthetv

You cannot make the argument that this game is worse than II.

Mo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Mo0
    @allhailthetv said:
    " You cannot make the argument that this game is worse than II. "
    You can't make the argument that Big Rigs is worse than Final Fantasy II.  At least Big Rigs has comedy value.
    barik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By barik

lots of opinions, many of which have no background or reason for their opinion.  Here's my list... Reasons included.  (i have played 5,7,8,9,10,12,13)

V  -  5: Old school game. Good music, great job style and interesting battle system. Story line was interesting and there was good character development. For it's time, it was truly a good game. Even though i loved the job system, I will not replay this game. For me it is not a classic.

VII  - 7: My first FF game. The start shows some BA characters who have no trouble getting their hands dirty. Definitely a strong story line game. Music:  Nobuo Uematsu... Brilliant music. enough said. I played this game just before jr. high, so I felt a little like Cloud in my first time playing it. The gold saucer games were awesome. I continue to play this game every few years, and now that my third disc on my second FF7 grouping is missing, I am glad i can buy it on PS3. Definitely a classic for me. Battle system.. MATERIA!!! FREAKING AWESOME!!   *** first time playing i also built aeris up so much and when she ..... midgame.. ;(   ***

VIII  - 8:  Won't say much about 8. Liked the relationships but hated the little trail of characters following behind you all the time. Made it hard to see certain items. Raced through the game. Never went back to play it. Got highly addicted to playing 9 instead. Didn't love the jumping back and forth between time/years and characters... Still love/listen to the music. 

IX  -  9:  The villains were mediocre at best. The game play was good. Battle system was mediocre. Storyline got screwed up at the end. Music started to feel similar to 7/8, disliked the ending..... BUT.. frikkin loved that little black mage dude... And garnet... and the other random people you could recruit to your group. Enjoyed the card game. AND... I still play this game... Even if it's only to hear garnet's lullaby and to watch that stupid cook character eat everything in site... This was a fun fantasy game, a good end to PSX...

X  -  10: I am a sucker for storyline. I loved this storyline.. still think it was a little screwy at the end, but... oh well... anyway.... BLITZBALL!!!  <- yes, i loved blitzball. The game/inside a game/ thing that FF does every so often is brilliant. Recruitment was a pain in Bball. unless you manipulated your saves..  Grid system was good. Great graphics. Introduction to character voices (i was kinda sad about this, because the english version always seemed funny to me, but I got over it).  The music was amazingly refreshing.  Final thoughts.. Blitzball... I still go back just to get to the end where i can recruit my team again.. ;)

XII  -  12:  Unique battle system. Finally able to somewhat avoid battles altogether. Kinda didn't love the characters. The presentation of the story was my least favorite ( with the starting a few years earlier, and jumping to the future... ) Haven't replayed it yet, but it was okay. Music, i thought, was just okay.  All in all, just a nice move to a different type of battle. One of the biggest dislikes in earlier FF games for me, was the random encounters... it's nice to see the enemy coming.. 

XIII  -  13:  Ok, it was nice to see the enemy coming in FF12, but 13 has NO/ 0 / zero ambush fights.. wait, what? yeah.. you can preemptive others, but never get caught off guard. I guess the group is always ready for a fight. Linear and no townspeople/  conversations... that was rough for me. I loved the random conversations from townspeople in every other FF.... BUT, this didn't kill the gameplay for me... The linear style made it likable for a much larger audience, and I think the storyline consistently helps push the players onward.  A few drawbacks: the treasures are almost all COMPLETELY visible. There is almost no random searching hidden areas either, as the map is very easy to watch. The real enjoyment of the game happens (for me) at chapter 11 though. Have to say though, I am curious what happens when I warp back and finish chapter 13 completely, but... It's not like FF7 where I can't wait til kill Sephiroth.. or like 10 where you have to go kill SIN... I want to kill the falcie/dude/thing, but I don't really care one way or the other..   I had a hard time feeling like i WAS one of the players.. with 7, you pretty much always controlled cloud... You could feel the emotion.. With 9, you had to do random quests to see how events unfolded.  in 10, You have a nutjob who is in another world that falls in love, and you feel the emotions.  With 13, the most emotion I have seen is from Hope.  Vanille and snow are mostly positive. Fang and Lightning are fighters.. Kinda cold most of the time. Sazh has his reasons for fighting, but he's kinda boring.  Hope is the only one I feel at all connected to. Probably his mother dieing, him leaving his dad, and the voice actor actually doing a good job...  Music is a lot like past FF's and I really don't love it... Battle system... it's brilliant.

Anyway... I am a FF fan... I haven't played them all, and I still have 6 sitting in a PS anthology pack waiting to be played, but I would recommend FF13 to more people than I have recommended any of the other FF's too. It shows off the PS3 for what it can do (probably shows off the xbox too, but not bluray style :p ). It brings back old dungeon enemies, and invents new ones. It takes strategy to move forward. Grinding is only a must for those who wish to get everything and do all the side quests. still have yet to beat the final boss, but I will replay FF13 even if it doesn't become a classic for me. 

^= opinions and reasons..
    5 = oldie but goodie
    7 = Personal Favorite 
    8 = Mediocre gameplay,
    9 = Re-playable, great content
    10 = blitzball and  storyline ;)
    12 = new battle system, kinda meh, bad storyline
    13 = So far; so good... (except the unoriginal music)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.