Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

How I wish combat was...

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Rockdalf

I'm usually not the guy who criticizes something and says how he can make it better, but I feel they could have went a different (and personally I think a better) direction with their combat.  A lot of this may sound reminiscent of FF X and that's because I liked FF X and think that maybe they could had built off of that system rather than starting from scratch.  Let me know what you think of my proposed changes and submit your own.

1) Characters have only one class that fit them most.  Lightning = Commando and Snow = Sentinel, and such forth.  They can unlock different classes later on, but most of the game, every one is one class.

2) Hot swapping characters rather than classes a la FF X.  However, unlike FF X and to keep with the spirit of the game, you switch by the paradigm system, creating 6 three man teams to choose from and swapping teams mid-game.  Thus, you can't switch individual characters out, but rather teams of characters.

3) Switch between party leaders with the L2 // R2 buttons (ps3 mapping of course).  Seriously though, this should be in there regardless.  I don't think anything is mapped to those buttons already.

4)  Move Party Leader with the left analog stick.  Menu choices will be selected by using the directional pad.

5)  "Square" (or "X") will auto set you combat moves that turn and automatically pick a target.  You can cancel it at any time with the "O" button or use the "Triangle" button in the same manner it is now as well.

Anyway, I don't see why it couldn't be done that way, and I think it would've worked better.

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Siris

I haven't played FFXIII yet (I've played all of the others though), but the hot swapping of whole teams doesn't sound like it would really add much to the gameplay. Swapping abilities/weapons/characters would be much more useful, if it already does one of those, then its probably for the best.

#4 sounds irrelevant but I don't know how it currently controls. If its D-pad and analog do both then that's much better, and usually how they do it anyways.

Auto-setting combat moves for a turn sounds like a good idea, I always wanted that kind of feature in the previous FF games, but it really depends on how the rest of the gameplay works out.. it could make the game feel too automated and that usually isn't a good thing.\

Personally, I liked the direction the Final Fantasy series was going with the combat in 12, but I really wish they would get a clue and add in cooperative gameplay. FFXII was the perfect game for co-op, not including it was a mistake I think.. They really only would have to do co-op on the battlefield.. and in 12 that was segmented from the cities, so it would work out nicely. Giving both players the ability to run around the city and fetch quests, buy items, etc would have made it all the better.

It's so strange how Chrono Trigger still has one of the best combat systems in any RPG ever...developed by Squaresoft even and they haven't been able to build a more dynamic and fun combat system since?! Very weird...

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Jost1

I don't know, I am really loving the speed, immediacy, and strategy that this new system has. 

It's like playing chess only real-time and overdosed on caffeine

caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By caseylakes

I love the battle system, the AI for your team mates is great as they always seem to do the right move.

Burntlettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Burntlettuce

I like the idea you have number 2, but outside of that I can't really see how to improve the battle system. I love it, so many options, it's very fast paced and has a different feel and strategy needed than other FF games. Loving it so far.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Siris: 
    I'm sorry, I probably didn't elaborate enough.  In the current battle system, you can't move any characters at all and all attacks affect an area, not specific targets, so if your tank decides to tank next to your healer or the leader, he's drawing aggro right toward the both of you.  I know why they didn't include combat movement (because you'd be able to dodge attacks manually) but I don't think the current system does it justice.

As for Hot Swapping teams, rather than individual characters, it's basically to maintain the same way it does the game now.  Instead of choosing between 6 pre-setup teams of 3 of the 6 classes, you'd pick from 3 characters of the 6 characters.

The only reason I want characters specific to classes, is because it would allow you to make choices with leveling your characters instead of pushing them down a track.  For instance, as a synergist (say with Sazh) you would choose to branch out from the initial point and take the path that gives Faith and Bravery or put points toward the path with Shell and Protect.  Of course you could pick both over time, but there would be different tracks to go on, not just one you piled points through.

Although I don't like the level up system in this game, I do enjoy that none two characters are exactly alike.  Everyone learns different stuff in the same classes at different times, making one Ravager completely different from another on the same team.
    Cristofyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Cristofyr

I agree with being able to issue movement commands to your team since that would have added another level of depth to the system and removed some of the frustration (hey! that bomb is about to blow up, let's all bunch right together!) 

I also would have liked an option to have a fixed battle camera. Yes, it can be cool to see everyone move around, but the constant camera shifts are nauseating after a while. Plus, every time the game moves in close to be "dramatic", I can't see what anything else is doing and I have to take a few seconds to reorient myself after all the moving is done - not a good thing with how fast the combat is.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ZenaxPure

I much prefer swapping classes than characters, especially considering how split up most of them are throughout the game. I am glad they went this route instead. 

However, I must agree on one point, the only flaw I feel is in the combat system is not being able to move characters to some degree. It can get annoying when your Sen decides to tank stuff right beside characters like Hope and Vanille who do not have a lot of HP take aoe damage that could of been avoided otherwise. Honestly though I feel this could be solved by simply programing the AI to move when attempting to tank mobs.  

Also a nitpicky thing really but I hate it when the class change animation goes on an individual character basis, it should always be every character at once (which is usually is, so whatever).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.