Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

One of the best JRPG's in recent memory!

• 54 results
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LiquidPrince

'Till this day I still hear people on these boards bashing the game and I really don't get it. If it's the story, then dude, it's a Final Fantasy game, you know you're going to be getting a lavishly produced heartfelt and supremely melodramatic story. It's like complaining why Zelda can't lock her damn doors, or Peach doesn't hire some security. The game play was fantastic and extremly fast paced and intense, I feel succeeding on the promise to make a battle system that resembled Advent Children. 

One of the biggest (and stupidest) complaints I heard however was that the tutorial takes like 10 hours. Firstly that is untrue unless you play games really slowly or just suck and secondly the way the tutorials in Final Fantasy XIII are laid out are ingenious. Have any of you played JRPG's recently? The tutorials usually consist of you scrolling down on a menu and clicking one by one what you want to learn ala Resonance of Fate. Extremely tedious and boring. Final Fantasy XIII never feels like you're in a tutorial. You're playing, and learning as you play.

With that said, I'm stoked for XIII-2, and Versus XIII. I also hope Lightning some how makes a cameo in Versus XIII in any way, such as maybe a statue of her or something along those lines,

No Caption Provided
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By galiant

I really enjoyed the game. It was different! Great battle system. It's nice to see some positive comments about it =) 

I'm also looking forward to more games that are somehow related to XIII!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

I know, it was awesome. I enjoyed every second of it.

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Torrim

Everyone on the internet hates Final Fantasy.  I don't think I've played one that was bad yet, honestly.  Though, I haven't played XIII. 

I don't know if I agree with the comparison to Zelda, since that franchise doesn't lean on the melodrama as much as JRPG games tend to, but I can understand not letting a sub-par or drawn out story get to you without the statement so eeeey

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pessh

I played it at release, got to the open world bit, stopped, not because I didn't enjoy it, just because. Following the announcement of 13-2 I thought I'd play it again, been so long though that I couldn't carry on from where I left off and had to start again. I'm nine hours in, in the city with Lightning and Hope, enjoying as much if not more than my first playthrough. Don't understand the criticism, no one takes games for what they are anymore, they just bitch about what games don't have. It's not the same as seven, or 10, or whatever other game you really liked so it sucks? Just no. Definitely in my top ten of 2010.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By dbz1995

I probably didn't give the game enoug of a chance to actually get into it. From what I played it felt good, but then theisc crashed on me because the guy I borrowed it from was a greasy chap and once I stopped playing, I just never picked up again. Guess that is my FF syndrome-I've played all of the 'main' FF-games ('main' meaning not X-2, for example), and have never completed one except for XII.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tsoglani

I actually picked this up on the cheap the other day, and I agree with you, I feel that people must have fabricated a lot of bullcrap about this game. 

Firstly, I am thoroughly enjoying it, and I am not even 10 hours in, and secondly, I don't think it takes until the 20th hour to start having fun; I have enjoyed this game since the opening. 

Why so many people so hard on this game? I give props to Square for this one, ok, they streamlined it to make it somewhat more approachable, but it is still Final Fantasy. 

I cant wait for Versus.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Animasta

I disagree about being one of the best in recent memory, because both Resonance of Fate and Nier (yes it's an RPG shut up) were both miles better, SMT: Strange Journey...

the tutorials in RoF were optional anyway (like you'd be able to understand the battle system but whatever)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

You're right, FFXIII is the best Final Fantasy game of 2010. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It's because you have a short memory.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FlyingRat

You people are crazy! Crazy i tells ya!

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By babblinmule

My 2nd favourite game of last year by quite some distance (hell I ranked it even above the amazing Mass Effect 2). All of the hate that I've seen could have quite easily been applied to almost any RPG since the 90's. 

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SonicFire

Egh...I'm a long-time FF fan, but I felt it to be aggressively mediocre. I don't care how beautiful the graphics are, until Gran Pulse, it's linear corridor after linear corridor, (which is not cool for an RPG). Second, the storytelling is incredibly poor, as it won't make any damn sense without reading the log files in the database. Finally, the lack of towns, meaningful NPCs or any exposition beyond the linear path it puts you on makes it a pretty poor specimen for an RPG.  

I have to ask, when you do play RPGs, do you just barrell through the main quest line towards the end? If so I can see liking it more. 

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By wrathofconn
    @babblinmule said:
    " My 2nd favourite game of last year by quite some distance (hell I ranked it even above the amazing Mass Effect 2). All of the hate that I've seen could have quite easily been applied to almost any RPG since the 90's.  "
    Oh, so most RPGs in the last decade felt like Time Crisis because they had you on rails for most of the game? Can't quite get behind that.

I understand that people liked this game, but I also understand that a lot of people didn't. Other people have valid opinions too.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

One of my favorite games of last year, and definitely a lot of fun.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chrissedoff

nice joke

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
    @EpicSteve said:
    " You're right, FFXIII is the best Final Fantasy game of 2010.  "
    Resonance of Fate came out in 2010, so no.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Getz

There are two camps of JRPGs, there's the shit that breaks the mold and provides interesting characters and story and nixes all the melodrama. Then, there's everything else. FF XIII, while totally playable and pretty to look at, just doesn't really change anything. The characters are annoying, and while the setting is imaginative, the exposition is just a fucking mess. 

Calling it "one of the best JRPGs in recent memory" just doesn't jive with me when there are games like Lost Odyssey, Persona, Devil Summoner, and Recettear that out-class FF XIII by a large margin.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Mr_Skeleton said:
    "

It's because you have a short memory.

"
    Witty.

@EpicSteve said:
    " You're right, FFXIII is the best Final Fantasy game of 2010.  "

Even more witty.

@Laketown said:
    " I disagree about being one of the best in recent memory, because both Resonance of Fate and Nier (yes it's an RPG shut up) were both miles better, SMT: Strange Journey...  the tutorials in RoF were optional anyway (like you'd be able to understand the battle system but whatever) "

I despise Nier, but Resonance of Fate is alright. It seems kind of unpolished and clunky from what I've played so far, and the tutorials were dreadful.
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By nick_verissimo

I straight up did not like the characters at all and found it very hard to continue that game. When i play JRPG it's all about who the characters are and how they are going to develop over the arch of the game. If they don't have something mildly interesting going on with them in the first 10 hours, then I give up on the game, and unfortunately, that happened here. I really enjoyed the active time battle system that they developed, however, when the characters and subsequently the story is lacking, I can't play them. Now, Tales of Vesperia on the other hand, for me anyway,  has an amazing group of characters, albeit somewhat generic storyline, and fun enough battle system that it became one of my favourite JRPG's over my 50 hours of play time. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Getz said:
    " There are two camps of JRPGs, there's the shit that breaks the mold and provides interesting characters and story and nixes all the melodrama. Then, there's everything else. FF XIII, while totally playable and pretty to look at, just doesn't really change anything. The characters are annoying, and while the setting is imaginative, the exposition is just a fucking mess.  Calling it "one of the best JRPGs in recent memory" just doesn't jive with me when there are games like Lost Odyssey, Persona, Devil Summoner, and Recettear that out-class FF XIII by a large margin. "
    To be fair, the only other console JRPG's that I have really liked in recent years are the Persona games.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ch13696

I picked this on day one and was not disappointed at all. Well, actually there was one thing. Only the summoning, but it didn't influence my decision at all.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tsoglani

I think Nier was one of the more underrated games of last year; I have had mad fun with Nier.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By WickedCestus

I'm getting more and more interested in this game recently. I think I'll try it out soon.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Tsoglani said:
    " I think Nier was one of the more underrated games of last year; I have had mad fun with Nier. "
    I wanted to try it out but the fact that it looks like a PS2 game is kind of a turn off.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I feel like I've said this in about 10 different threads now, but I'm into the 3rd disc now, and I love this game much much more than I thought I would. I am a little disappointed that I had to play 25 hours just to hear the chocobo song... but it was worth it. I love the battle system, the story and music are great. The characters are hit-or-miss, but Vanille doesn't bug me as much as she did at the beginning of the game (she was terrible at first). Can't wait to finish it, but with my job and school, it takes me awhile to make it through these long games.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

The tutorial isn't 10 hours long,

IT IS 20 HOURS LONG

If you would like to dispute this, I will strangle you.
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Akrid

I'd be relatively okay with it if I wasn't of the strong opinion that the battle and leveling systems are the worst things ever made. 

I don't like to play something that mainly consists of me pressing the button labelled "Auto-Battle".

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AlexW00d

The battle system is pretty cool, but the rest of the game is a bit pants. 
    And while it doesn't actually take 20 hours to get into the actual game, it takes 20 hours until it gets to the open world part, which is what a lot of people were looking forward too.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " The tutorial isn't 10 hours long,

IT IS 20 HOURS LONG

If you would like to dispute this, I will strangle you. "
    I didn't even see the first ten or twenty hours as a tutorial.  I saw it as an entertaining part of the game.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#31  Edited By jacksukeru

Bought it, haven't played it. Currently it's number 10 on my Backlog list, right behind Resonance of Fate

I think I'm one of those people who's really going to enjoy it,  but can't say for sure yet. Oh well, better start working through the backlog then.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EuanDewar
    @FlyingRat said:
    "You people are crazy! Crazy i tells ya! "
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " The tutorial isn't 10 hours long,

IT IS 20 HOURS LONG

If you would like to dispute this, I will strangle you. "
    But it's not a fucking tutorial... You're just playing the game and it's rolling out new stuff every once in a while. It never feels like "hey whoa, stop, this is how you do so and so..." 

@Akrid said:
    " I'd be relatively okay with it if I wasn't of the strong opinion that the battle and leveling systems are the worst things ever made.  I don't like to play something that mainly consists of me pressing the button labelled "Auto-Battle". "
    I'd like to see you try and play the game at the higher levels without relying on auto battle. The harder parts of the game rely on strategic paradigm shifts, not you manually stringing together attacks. The flow of the battles involve you figuring out the weaknesses and then auto battle while continually shifting paradigms.

@Tarsier said:
    " you would like that game. "

I did in fact.
    Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wipeout

I agree with the OP.  Oddly enough, I really enjoyed FFXIII up until the part that everyone else liked.  I thought chapter 12 or whatever it was, the Monster Hunter chapter, lost focus and detracted from the one big strength the game had, which was its story.  The story kept me going and I totally didn't mind the linear path because I just wanted to get on to the next story bit. 

FFX played much the same way, but for some reason everyone liked that one and hates on XIII, even though the two games are nearly identical.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RE_Player1

I didn't like it at all and I even got it for cheap. I dunno the battle system just seemed mindless to me and walking in a straight line got boring fast. I never played 12 but I heard it was good so I might check that out. 

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Animasta
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Tsoglani said:
    " I think Nier was one of the more underrated games of last year; I have had mad fun with Nier. "
    I wanted to try it out but the fact that it looks like a PS2 game is kind of a turn off. "
    haha hilarious. yes, don't play a game because the graphics are terrible, that's the right way to game.

I mean, it can have the most amazing soundtrack ever, a really good storyline with really excellent characters, but if the graphics are terrible then why bother?
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By ESREVER

Thanks to the internet, I came in to FFXIII thinking it was going to be a drag and just crazy boring.  
    Don't listen to the internet. 
    I've enjoyed every moment with this game. I'm hoping its going to be my first FF that I complete.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Laketown said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Tsoglani said:
    I wanted to try it out but the fact that it looks like a PS2 game is kind of a turn off. "
    haha hilarious. yes, don't play a game because the graphics are terrible, that's the right way to game.  I mean, it can have the most amazing soundtrack ever, a really good storyline with really excellent characters, but if the graphics are terrible then why bother? "
    Or I can continue to play hundreds of other great games with great graphics, soundtracks and storyline, and not devote 20 hours of my time to one that looks like poop. My backlog of games is pretty big right now. Plus I said I wanted to try it, because my buddy said it was pretty good, but it does look pretty bad regardless. Don't try and bring your condescending "ohohoh, he just wants to play games with GOOD graphics" jazz over here.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hailinel
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Tsoglani said:
    haha hilarious. yes, don't play a game because the graphics are terrible, that's the right way to game.  I mean, it can have the most amazing soundtrack ever, a really good storyline with really excellent characters, but if the graphics are terrible then why bother? "
    Or I can continue to play hundreds of other great games with great graphics, soundtracks and storyline, and not devote 20 hours of my time to one that looks like poop. My backlog of games is pretty big right now. Plus I said I wanted to try it, because my buddy said it was pretty good, but it does look pretty bad regardless. Don't try and bring your condescending "ohohoh, he just wants to play games with GOOD graphics" jazz over here. "
    Then you're choosing to miss out on something that's rather spectacular based on the mentality of a graphics whore.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Hailinel said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Laketown said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Tsoglani said:
    Or I can continue to play hundreds of other great games with great graphics, soundtracks and storyline, and not devote 20 hours of my time to one that looks like poop. My backlog of games is pretty big right now. Plus I said I wanted to try it, because my buddy said it was pretty good, but it does look pretty bad regardless. Don't try and bring your condescending "ohohoh, he just wants to play games with GOOD graphics" jazz over here. "
    Then you're choosing to miss out on something that's rather spectacular based on the mentality of a graphics whore. "
    It's not just the graphics. The whole game looks very dated. Plus I know the whole story since my friend told me in depth about all the plot twists and so on, including the 4 possible endings and all that.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Torrim said:
    " Everyone on the internet hates Final Fantasy.  I don't think I've played one that was bad yet, honestly.  Though, I haven't played XIII."
    I loved I-IX.  They've been nothing but downhill since then though. 
    I also loved Neir, Lost Odyssey and Golden Sun Dark Dawn, before anyone throws "you're anti JRPG" at me. 

FFXIII was just a bad game.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Torrim said:
    " Everyone on the internet hates Final Fantasy.  I don't think I've played one that was bad yet, honestly.  Though, I haven't played XIII."
    I loved I-IX.  They've been nothing but downhill since then though. I also loved Neir, Lost Odyssey and Golden Sun Dark Dawn, before anyone throws "you're anti JRPG" at me.  FFXIII was just a bad game. "
    Then I don't believe you know what the word bad means. At absolute worst it could maybe be considered underwhelming for some people. I still think it's one of the best in recent memory. It's just fun, constantly pushing forward and the action looks good while it plays out.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cornbredx

I dont like the game. I respect your opinion and all (as everyones opinion is valid) but just in my opinion the game was boring to play, and just felt like I was hitting one button for 20 hours at which point I stopped. I don't have a problem with the story, and there's only one character I don't like (you can probably guess who that is). I just felt the game wanted more to be a movie then to be an actual game, and the map layout was done fairly poorly, leaving no feeling of anything other then going straight forward.

I do intend to give this game another shot on my next vacation (so I have time) but my first attempt at playing it I didn't feel it was a very rewarding experience. There are things I like about it, but I felt overall the combat was not strategic enough for me to enjoy and all I had to do was hit X to get passed anything. I know it may get better after the 20 hours (or so I've heard) but I mainly gave up because I didn't feel I should keep waiting for the point when I get to think in battle.

Game has some cool ideas, and I am not one to bash innovation, but I don't feel they did very well developing it enough as a game (something I agree with on the nay sayers quite a bit is they focused to much on the engine and not enough on making the game engaging and fun to play).

It's ok, though, that you disagree. These are only my opinions.

Avatar image for theflyingbulbasaur
    TheFlyingBulbasaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, took me until a second playthrough to not absolutely despise the game but it's honestly pretty mediocre.  If you can't see why people hate it so much, you're just in denial.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Catolf
    @TheFlyingBulbasaur said:
    " Meh, took me until a second playthrough to not absolutely despise the game but it's honestly pretty mediocre.  If you can't see why people hate it so much, you're just in denial. "
    I must be, the game isn't fantastic but it's a good game.. it's because it didn't live up to the expectations of the masses whom wanted the same old stand there and scroll through abilities/Mp bar /towns blarg.. which would have made no sense in a game where you are on the run, you don't wanna run around a dang town when your fricken wanted. XP

To the point, a lot of people didn't like it, and thats fine, but it's far from a bad game.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Enigma777

Pacing was broken and you could have easily cut out 10-15 hours without missing anything. My biggest problem was that there was absolutely no variety. It relied solely on it's combat and after 20 hours that got old fast, but there was nothing to do except running forward, fighting or watching cutscenes.  

Also it has by far some of the stupidest nomenclature yet! L'cie, fal'cie, cie'th, they're all just terrible! 

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Marcsman

It helped me figure out why they skip floor 13 on most building. I wish I had skipped 13 altogether.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I enjoyed FF13 a lot. While not the best JRPG i've played in recent history, I do rate it highly. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Pacing was broken and you could have easily cut out 10-15 hours without missing anything. My biggest problem was that there was absolutely no variety. It relied solely on it's combat and after 20 hours that got old fast, but there was nothing to do except running forward, fighting or watching cutscenes.   Also it has by far some of the stupidest nomenclature yet! L'cie, fal'cie, cie'th, they're all just terrible!  "
    This ^10

And may I add that, in my opinion obviously, the combat was garbage. There was no reason to ever pick anything except auto attack since it always chose the best combination of attacks. You could literally set up a contraption to hold the stick forward and press A/X on slightly changing intervals and you could probably get through a lot of game that way.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zityz

The biggest thing that bothered me WAS the story. It just wasn't coherent enough. I did stick it through until the 3rd disc. to that large boss that had 2mil health. At that point I kind of put it down and said "OK...I think I'm done for now" and it's still sitting on my shelf. Which is a bummer because if that story was a bit better paced and not so choppy and dropping Fal'ce and I'ce like you know what the fuck it is after the first 5 minutes, maybe it would have been better. 

I didn't mind the characters, nor voices, nor music and the battle system is fun. These were the things that kept me going, but honestly I was about 50 hours in and still didn't know what the hell was going on properly. It was disappointing. 

However. Vs Xlll looks good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.