Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

So... What do you think of the English VO's?

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Magresda

I know it's not out yet, but by now we've all probably seen this and I'm willing to bet most of us have already made up our minds about the English voices - if you didn't already from the earlier trailers.  

Personally I'm a little bit of both. They definitely seem a lot better than previous English voices, and the translations also seem smoother. Having played the Japanese version from start to really-close-to-finish (and loved it) however, it just doesn't feel right. I can appreciate that they've tried to make it it's own version with its own distinct voices, but they just don't fit the image I have of the characters. I'm mostly thinking about Lightning, Hope and Snow - Lightning has the emotional range of a teaspoon in that trailer, Hope sounds even more like a whiny kid and Snow just misses the spark that served as one of his only redeeming characteristics in the Japanese version. And Fang with an Australian accent? Ehh. I'll probably not be picking up the NA/EU copy after this.  

Battle system is still awesome, though. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

I actually think the voices are pretty good, I honestly don't think that the people that always complain about the english VO can ever be satisfied 

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ravensword

There fine. Its just Elitist jackass's like to think theyre bad. Its the same thing with Anime Dub. Most Anime Dub is great, but the Elitist Japanifiles like to think theyre terrible and that the original is sooooo much better. I got news for you, go watch the Deathnote Dub, which is, IMO, better than the original Japanese Language track.  Also, If I cant speak Japanese, why the hell am I going to READ a anime? a Movie is fine, but not a Anime or Video game. Anyway, im off on a tangent. Bottom line, theyre perfectly fine.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By InfiniteGeass

They seem alright, but I didn't recognize any of them.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

It's fucking shit.  Ask any user here who has the Japanese copy and ask them what they think of the new theme song.  

IT DOES NOT FIT WITH WHEN THAT SONG WILL PLAY!

Lighting ->  Lacks the depth and sorrow.
    Hope ->  Sounds more faggy than the Japanese
    Snow ->  Bland as fuck.
    Fang ->  She has a very unique Indian Japanese accent, why the hell is she Australian?
    Sazh ->  It sounds like a bad wise-cracking black guy...and he isn't that kind of character...again, ask anyone who has played through the game.  He has a lot of depth.
    Vanila ->  She sounds like an airhead when the Japanese she's supposed to be a Shibuya Girl
    Jihl ->  She doesn't sound scary at all, and bland.
    Sera ->  WTF is this?!

WTF is up with the theme song?!  It sounds worse than a Tales Voice Acting and Biohazard games, and the new theme is worse than a monotone singing America the Beautiful.  I'd rather have a donkey take a shit in my ear than listen to the shitty R&B song again.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno

Not bad actually, but I still don't like the overdramatic whiny Japanese girl archtype.  

@KaosAngel said:

Fang ->  She has a very unique Indian Japanese accent, why the hell is she Australian?
    Because she's hotter that way. 
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By matthew
    @KaosAngel: I was with you in thinking the song fit like a wedgie.  But how often can we (who are going to buy the NA version) are going to hear it based on your playing of the Japan version?  Were you constantly hearing the Japanese version of the theme song throughout the game?  My guess would be a little bit of it during the intro cinematic, and the full song at the credits...
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Matthew: it just plays during the proposal with Snow and Sera and the credits.  

However!  Before people yell at me for being an elitiest, I normally prefer English voices than Japanese.  I think I'm one of the few who like KH, FFX, and FF12 English dub more than the Japanese.  

This is not good...at all.  The part when Lighting says she takes on Lightning's name isn't even on key with emotions.  It's supposed to be her opening up because she never does because she's always stressed and worried.  Jihl doesn't sound scary, and when you first meet her...you know she's a cold hearted bitch.  

...and Fang...why is she Australian?  v.v  (no offense to you guys down south)
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

I've generally thought the english voice overs for almost every FF games with voices I have ever played or at least seen any gameplay of, were generally very poor. I'll never understand how they are generally really bad, when much smaller companies have good english voice casts in the majority of games, but somehow Square doesn't.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By vidiot

They're all absolutely fine so far. From what I heard finding faults would be kinda nitpicking. When it comes to localization for the main entries in their series, Square has impressed me. (FFXII / DQVIII) I just wish that same care would be upheld in their other games.
    I'm more impressed with the fact that not only did they reanimate the mouths in-game, theyreanimated the mouths for the pre-rendered sequences. From a technical level, that surprised me.

I'm fine with the song too. Like every Final Fantasy game, I doubt it will only be played once. 
    Personally I felt that the actual Japanese pop-song was....underwhelming, I don't see this as a huge detractor at all.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By vasta_narada

They weren't as bad as I thought as were going to be, actually. I rather liked a couple of the voices, though I think Lightning's voice could be tweaked a bit.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meteora

Its actually alright; just Lightning's voice that needs a bit of changing. Albeit I don't think they can really do anything about that now.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cornman89

It seems to be quite good as far as localizations go. They seem to hit all the archetypes fairly well while not skewing too Japanese (no faux-squeaky girl voices, although Vanille is dangerously close), and I was never going to give a shit about whatever song was in it, so I don't have anything against My Hands. It's actually kinda catchy, in its own way.

Bravo, Square.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

Voice acting was fine, the melodrama is wearing on me after so many FF games though, so I skipped much of the dialogue parts of that trailer GB put up yesterday.
    Avatar image for commodoregroovy
    CommodoreGroovy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CommodoreGroovy

Sounds fine. Really, no complaints.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

I dunno I heard both voice tracks in a bunch of cutscenes and they were all pretty atrociously acted. The japanese one is the less of two shits, but they both left a bad taste in my mouth. But I don't really care. I blast gangster rap over any game I play, and just put on subtitles. A lot of RPGs audio reaaally grates on me during extended play sessions, whether it's hearing the same tracks over and over, or the terri-bad sound effects they usually have. I can't play it without hating the game. So other music helps. 

As for the game itself... I'm probably not picking it up. I heard enough about mad linearity, and how melodramatic it gets, and I don't think I have that kindof time to waste right now. I guess I'll wait for the reviews to really decide to get it or not, but I'm waiting for a good ol' north american review. Famitsu is too erratic and random sometimes with the scores, and since I don't understand a word they're saying... it's kinda pointless for me to take the score to mean anything.  

Also heard it opens up in the end or something? Shit the structure of this game is mad confusing, and weird meaningless engrish phrases like Grand Pulse do not help. 

Anyone wanna offer a clear, spoiler free explanation of how this game is structured? Is it like MGS4, where I'm basically charging from one half hour cutscene to the next, or is the gameplay engaging enough, and I can explore shit, check out crazy dungeons, n' grind out levels? Or both? 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By asurastrike

The VA sounds awful to me. I am really close to giving up on Final Fantasy.

Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

They sound just fine.  But certain people will never be happy with english VO, and just as many are still on the "hate on FF13 as much as possible before it comes out" train.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By demonbear

Ahhhh Square fanboys discussing. Classic.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By asurastrike
    @PopeAnonymousVII said:
    " They sound just fine.  But certain people will never be happy with english VO, and just as many are still on the "hate on FF13 as much as possible before it comes out" train. "
    I don't like the english voice overs for FF13, but I love the VO in the Persona games. And I don't want to hate on FF13, because I genuinely hope it is good. What I really can't stand is that theme song.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By meteora
    @XII_Sniper: If you listen to gangsta rap on every game you play; FF probably isn't for you.

@PopeAnonymousVII: I don't know man, I recall some people just having a hard time imagining what Solid Snake would sound like in Japanese and that they would prefer the English voice overs.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Meteora: Dawg you ain't played no FF4 till you blast some B.I.G. over it. Makes grinding out the boring fights waaaay easier. The same song for almost every battle is... painful. That's my main complaint with a lot of RPGs. It's not like the same track will come on every time an enemy shows up in most other games. Oh and I DO mix up the genres sometimes. But this is tried and true. And saves lotta frustration. 
    bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By bonbolapti

There's a lot of japanese games that come over here and get translated into english, why do we have to try really hard to act like this one is the one that's a big deal? 

Fact: In final fantasy standards, the song is pretty fitting.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By meteora
    @XII_Sniper: That is a good point; I do notice that the music can get repetitive that it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Meteora: Yeah.. I just don't wanna detract from the experience. And I get really pet peevy over repetitive noises. I know I'd knock the game unfairly if I didn't.  

Also after like... 8 or maybe 9 I stopped playing FF for the story. The older ones, while still overly melodramatic at least weren't tangential nonsense.  And the characters I could actually care for, somewhat. I think the voice acting isn't helping, but they're also all kinda blending into each other. Generic-ass character designs and personalities as of late. 

So I'm really, really hoping the gameplay has something interesting to it.
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beforet

From what I have seen, which is little, Lightning sounds a little off. Snow, however, is voiced by Kanji, so it evens out.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By asurastrike
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Meteora: Dawg you ain't played no FF4 till you blast some B.I.G. over it. Makes grinding out the boring fights waaaay easier. The same song for almost every battle is... painful. That's my main complaint with a lot of RPGs. It's not like the same track will come on every time an enemy shows up in most other games. Oh and I DO mix up the genres sometimes. But this is tried and true. And saves lotta frustration.  "
    The World Ends With You has like 10 different songs for battle. I appreciated that.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Asurastrike:  Shit yeah, that game was kinda nuts. I couldn't handle the dual screen battles so much though. I'm not good at managing things like that. But yeah they put some good effort there.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By m1k3

im copying what i posted already on the actual video: 

"HOLY SHIT!!!! that was awesome. Im really loving how much it seems they put into not only the Voice Overs, but ACTUALLY SYNCING THE VOICES WITH THE MOUTHS. Already had this pre-ordered, and cant wait till march."

i guess im really excited over the english version. i guess im in the minority that really likes them.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shirogane
    @XII_Sniper:
    Yeah, that game was really good, but the dual battles involved some amount of crazy multitasking. Although you could essentially ignore the top screen. 

I agree with OP, the voice acting seems good, but somehow just doesn't fit in a Final Fantasy, at least, for some characters. Maybe it's not lame sounding enough... 

As for the song, it doesn't seem to fit well at all even just in that trailer.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Marz

i think ff12 had better voice actors.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

The voices seem okay (this coming from someone who will pick subs over dubs 90% of the time), but that shitty pop song made me stop the video halfway through.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By m1k3
    @Shirogane said:
    " @XII_Sniper: Yeah, that game was really good, but the dual battles involved some amount of crazy multitasking. Although you could essentially ignore the top screen.  I agree with OP, the voice acting seems good, but somehow just doesn't fit in a Final Fantasy, at least, for some characters. Maybe it's not lame sounding enough...  As for the song, it doesn't seem to fit well at all even just in that trailer. "
    The song is pretty much the main theme song for FFXIII (the english version anyways). So i expect to hear that song sometime during the game, and during the end credits
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shirogane
    @m1k3 said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    " @XII_Sniper: Yeah, that game was really good, but the dual battles involved some amount of crazy multitasking. Although you could essentially ignore the top screen.  I agree with OP, the voice acting seems good, but somehow just doesn't fit in a Final Fantasy, at least, for some characters. Maybe it's not lame sounding enough...  As for the song, it doesn't seem to fit well at all even just in that trailer. "
    The song is pretty much the main theme song for FFXIII (the english version anyways). So i expect to hear that song sometime during the game, and during the end credits "

As long as the parts that the song is in fits. It just felt really off during that trailer, especially during some of the actiony/battle stuff. 

Not sure about end credits, i've never finished an ff game, even though i've played most of them.
    Lukaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lukaz
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " There fine. Its just Elitist jackass's like to think theyre bad. Its the same thing with Anime Dub. Most Anime Dub is great, but the Elitist Japanifiles like to think theyre terrible and that the original is sooooo much better. I got news for you, go watch the Deathnote Dub, which is, IMO, better than the original Japanese Language track.  Also, If I cant speak Japanese, why the hell am I going to READ a anime? a Movie is fine, but not a Anime or Video game. Anyway, im off on a tangent. Bottom line, theyre perfectly fine. "

I have some level of agreement with you. I watched the entire Deathnote anime in both English and Japanese. They did an amazing job dubbing and I think that it equates to the quality that the Japanese version had. Another anime I feel did an amazing job was FMA. In fact I think the dub was better than the Japanese version by a huge extent. And I've got to mention Goku's voice. I grew up hearing the strong male figure on the dubbed version that played on TV. When I eventually heard his Japanese voice, that strong male idea nearly died. Goku's Japanese voice is terrible. 

Back to the FFXIII point. I have to say, the English voices are bugging the shit out of me. It's just how the sentences are worded and how the actors say it in the VO. I think it can really reduce the experience to a point where I won't want to play it. I too am a firm believer of watching over reading in the sense that I watch an anime to watch it, not to read. In FFXIII's case, the VOs will not do. 

I've also got a question for you Raven: what reasonable difference is there between reading in an anime, a movie and a game? and why you think reading in a movie is fine while reading in other medias is not? I honestly think that if its incomparably better in the original then stick to it, even if it requires one to read extensively.
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Manatassi

*shrug* on the whole I was pretty Impressed with that trailer.  

Iv'e been completely bored with JRPG's for a few years now. That actually got me a bit more interested, Maybe its because it does feel a little different from every other Final fantasy wannabe. Its clearly a FF game and theres no mistaking it but the way they have blended the localisation into it gives it enough of a different feel to at the least seem fresher than the usual stale rinse repeat we have been fed over the last 6-8 years. Oh and how exactly can Leona Lewis be so offensive compared to the usual J-Pop garbage that the Japanese audience is getting? Just because its Japanese doesn't make it in any way not mass produced studio designed manufactured Garbage like all the other J-Pop out there.  

There seems to be some kind of assumption that because we aren't exposed to it and for the most part cant actually understand, that anything Japanese is awesome, When in reality the Japanese actors are little better than soap opera actors and the music is overtly design by committee. Just because you cant understand what is being said so many people try and pass off the fact that Japanese voice acting sounds stilted and hammy as being part of Japanese culture.  

Why don't we just pretend that Japanese TV is actually on mass well produced and their game shows are classy while we are at it?

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Slippy

I still don't understand the story at all.. not even someone who played the Japanese version could explain it to me. All of the Western voices are too melodramatic - they just cannot do subtlety or be conservative. It's times like these when I wish they just got well known voice actors, or even celebrities to do it. After all, they have the money, and when you compare this to something sophisticated like Mass Effect 2, the contrast is sharp. And that theme tune is vomit inducing. The whole game looks like it was made for a daytime TV woman's hour.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Magresda
    @XII_Sniper said:

" I dunno I heard both voice tracks in a bunch of cutscenes and they were all pretty atrociously acted. The japanese one is the less of two shits, but they both left a bad taste in my mouth. But I don't really care. I blast gangster rap over any game I play, and just put on subtitles. A lot of RPGs audio reaaally grates on me during extended play sessions, whether it's hearing the same tracks over and over, or the terri-bad sound effects they usually have. I can't play it without hating the game. So other music helps. As for the game itself... I'm probably not picking it up. I heard enough about mad linearity, and how melodramatic it gets, and I don't think I have that kindof time to waste right now. I guess I'll wait for the reviews to really decide to get it or not, but I'm waiting for a good ol' north american review. Famitsu is too erratic and random sometimes with the scores, and since I don't understand a word they're saying... it's kinda pointless for me to take the score to mean anything.   Also heard it opens up in the end or something? Shit the structure of this game is mad confusing, and weird meaningless engrish phrases like Grand Pulse do not help.  Anyone wanna offer a clear, spoiler free explanation of how this game is structured? Is it like MGS4, where I'm basically charging from one half hour cutscene to the next, or is the gameplay engaging enough, and I can explore shit, check out crazy dungeons, n' grind out levels? Or both?  "

The first 10 chapters of the game (20-25 hours) goes a little something like this; cutscene > run on linear path with battles > cutscene > more running and fighting > cutscene > boss. The leveling system is very linear at this point and there's absolutely no need for grinding. The game is essentially being carried by three things: battle system (which I've expressed my love for in another post), story/characters and looks. I lost count of how many times my jaw dropped because of a beautiful view - it's constantly putting you in new environments with new art styles and monsters. As someone far from fluent in Japanese, I missed out on a lot of the intricate plot details so a good part of the story was lost on me. What did stand out to me, however, was the character interaction and development which I thought was done very well. Early in the game they're fond of separating the characters into groups of two or three, and this really helps develop deeper relationships between the characters. Essentially, by the time they all join up most of them know each other - it doesn't feel like they're 6 people randomly tossed together. The battle-cutscene-battle pacing is also done well, with neither taking up too much time before being interrupted by the other. 

Once you reach chapter 11, though, the game takes a 180 degree turn. It goes from super linear with only narrow branches for treasure, to a huge open world with over 60 side quests. The leveling system also opens up, allowing any character to specialize in any role, thus adding the need to think a little when using the crystarium system. The one prevailing thought in my mind was, "Shit, this is great. Why the hell didn't they introduce this 10 hours ago!?". You can do a good number of missions upon reaching Grand Pulse until difficulty forces you to complete the remaining two chapters of the story, after that it's all end-game.  

Personally I really liked the game, but I feel like they botched the pacing. Narrow paths don't really bother me, but the game pretty much being split into two pieces - each on opposite ends of the JRPG scale - kind of does. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.