Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Good, but not for everyone

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho
    Disclaimer: The only information I'm disclosing here is already publicly available.  I do not feel that the following text is a breach of Square Enix's NDA. 

There's been some complaining on the boards about Final Fantasy XIV recently, so I thought I'd share a different perspective. Despite being very solo-friendly (especially compared to XI) , FFXIV is best played in a group of other players. That's where it shines. You progress more quickly, you get to see more interesting locales and monsters, and you get to do more exciting and challenging Guildleves. They didn't design this game for the post-WoW crowd; you're not going to have nearly as much instant gratification from spending 10 minutes playing. It's not going to be for some people. 

This is more an evolution on the EverQuest hardcore MMO formula, where grouping is highly recommended and tasks take longer to complete. Given the number of people the ease of WoW (that's not a knock on Blizzard's game; WoW's great) brought into the genre, there's bound to be a lot of negativity concerning Final Fantasy XIV's difficulty. If you're into the more hardcore aspects of MMOs, I'd say ignore the criticism and try it for yourself. If WoW's 20-minute dungeons and the general simplicity backing the whole of the solo-centric MMO, you're probably not going to be so into it.    
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Kombat:
    Thanks for the heads-up, Kombat.  Are you in the beta?  I'm curious because there are lots of specific questions I'd like to ask you, but not if they're going to violate Square's policies or anything.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " @Kombat: Thanks for the heads-up, Kombat.  Are you in the beta?  I'm curious because there are lots of specific questions I'd like to ask you, but not if they're going to violate Square's policies or anything. "
    Yeah, I'm in the beta. You can drop me a PM if you'd like.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

Sounds interesting. I think I would like the focus on grouping more. My PC won't run this so I'll probably get the PS3 version when it finally comes out. Would be nice to be in the beta though.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SteamPunkJin

My PC won't run it. They canceled the Xbox360 version. They haven't announced a parallel to Puppetmaster yet. And yet, I'm still dying to play this game, even debating buying a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing. 
    That being said I have some concerns: 
    1) What's the deal with Equipment 'degrading'? I understand they wanted crafters to have a larger roll but if it's anything like FFXI I don't want to see my Usukane Gear degrading while I'm using it.
    2)Tarutarus and facial hair: I've seen some Tarus with moustaches - are they NPCs only? What other facial hair options do they get? Full beard? (this is specifically about Tarus - I don't care what kind of beards Hume or Elvaan get.)
    3) Levelings/Stats/JA etc: The new system looks an awful lot like the Merit Point system from XI only starting from level 1 - can you(are you allowed to) flesh this out a bit? Do your core stats move at all on their own or is completely custom built? (think a WAR w/ 0 INT). 
    4) Job change/Subjob: Are these still in place? How has it changed? 

I understand if you can't answer these, if there's anything you can say in a PM you can't say in a post, by all means PM away. I'd really like to know the answers.

pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pplus0440

Hey let post all questions here i want to see them
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By FLStyle
    @SteamPunkJin said:
    " 3) Levelings/Stats/JA etc: The new system looks an awful lot like the Merit Point system from XI only starting from level 1 - can you(are you allowed to) flesh this out a bit? Do your core stats move at all on their own or is completely custom built? (think a WAR w/ 0 INT).  4) Job change/Subjob: Are these still in place? How has it changed?   I understand if you can't answer these, if there's anything you can say in a PM you can't say in a post, by all means PM away. I'd really like to know the answers. "
    All stats start at 15, you get 6 allotment points when your physical level levels up (plus 6 elemental resistance points). These stats stay with you no matter which class you're using. You can reassign two levels-worth of points. Class Rank levelling up gets you more abilities and unlocks main story missions. Abilities can be used in other classes so you basically create your own class as opposed to having a sub-job.
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By fenixrevolution

Is this game like FF XI, or is it a big change?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.