Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Firewatch

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 09, 2016

A first-person mystery set in the Wyoming wilderness developed by Campo Santo, where the protagonist's only lifeline, emotionally and physically speaking, is the person on the other end of a handheld radio.

Games like Firewatch ?

Eusebio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Firewatch is the first of this type of game thats ever really grabbed me, think it was mainly the art direction i loved, was hoping for some reccomendations for similar games.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pompouspizza

@eusebio: What other games of it's type have you tried? I would recommend Gone Home and SOMA. SOMA is only really similar in the sense that it's focus is on the narrative, it has some frustrating stealth sections but it's worth playing.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played Firewatch yet but from what I know, games that are seemingly similar in style that come to mind are :

• Gone Home
    • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    • Journey
    • Dear Esther (I don't really recommend that one)

chris630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will third Gone Home, it's very similar to Firewatch in a lot of ways. It's all about exploring and experiencing the story unfold around you.

There is also Three Fourths Home, which is less game and more interactive novel. You're a young woman driving home during a particularly bad storm having a conversation with various members of your family over the phone. It's all about dialogue choices and such, and only takes about an hour to an hour and a half to get through if you take your time.

Otherwise, a few more well known games that are more about the narrative than game play would be things like Life is Strange, Tales From the Borderlands (or any other of the Tell Tale games, that one is just my personal favorite), and Journey.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd personally consider Firewatch to have way more in common with Telltale's stuff like The Walking Dead over something like Gone Home (even if gameplay wise it's closer to the latter). It's really more a game about set pieces and the dialog that occurs between characters in my mind. Gone Home is similar but you never feel like your character has as much going on versus appreciating the environmental storytelling you come across.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray
    @justicejanitor said:

I haven't played Firewatch yet but from what I know, games that are seemingly similar in style that come to mind are :

• Gone Home
    • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    • Journey
    • Dear Esther (I really recommend that one)

This is a good list now that I've corrected it.

I'd like to expand on it by mentioning "Everyone's Gone to the Rapture", and while it is a very slow burn, there's such a delight to simply languish in that world and see the surprisingly human story unfold amid all that spectacular, visual nonsense. I'm also probably gonna' surprise someone by mentioning "A Machine for Pigs", which is much less a horror game than it's predecessor, The Dark Descent, but rather a superbly told narrative set in a slimy, unendingly creepy rendition of late 1800s London.

Also, SOMA is a hell of a game. And while it undoubtedly is in fact a horror title, there's a lot of the excellent characterization and seeking questions that Firewatch does so well. It's also the single, best story I've seen in a video game for quite some time.

matseffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I would agree Gone Home. There are others but they tend towards the more just walking through environment end of things The Vanishing of Ethan Carter has a good amount of puzzle stuff in it. I really enjoyed how much story and interactive stuff there was in Firewatch.

Eusebio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: This is the first game of this type I've ever played, definitely going to give everyone's suggestions a shot :)

Thanks !

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By peacebrother

It depends on what you mean by similar. Do you mean thematically similar in terms of tone, atmosphere, visuals, audio and narrative? Or do you mean mechanically similar in terms of the way you interact with the world? Most of the recommendations in this thread are firmly in the latter, as SOMA, Gone Home, Ethan Carter, Machine for Pigs, and Firewatch are all wildly different in tone, but very similar in the way you interact with them mechanically (walking around, exploring, discovering etc).

Eusebio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peacebrother: Initially it was how the game looked that drew me to it, but when I actually started playing it I loved just walking around interacting with the world and the story being so good was really a bonus. What game would you say would be similar in tone then ? also the games you listed should I be playing them on the PC ? thanks :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.