Anyone else interested in this game?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is the first time I've heard of it I think, but it looks like something I want to play. I'm really curious where the coming of age story goes, and how well implemented all the retro game stuff is. The atmosphere seems cool, and here's hoping this game brings a good soundtrack. The music and voice work in the trailer is good in my opinion.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Wow, yeah that looks really interesting. I'll have to check it out too. Thanks!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like it could be neat, but also a massive risk.

If the game stuff isn't used cohesively along with the story this will just be the video game equivalent of something like Ready Player One. It could be very easy for them to fall into that sort of trap of a story about a teenager whose super lonely but excellent at video games, uses video games to overcome challenges with other people and I really hope that's not what it's about.

Avatar image for schismnavigator
SchismNavigator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I am interested for the soundtrack alone. Looks to be coming out next month on Steam. Gonna wishlist it and see what reviews are like on launch.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

This game is out (at least on Steam right now). I'll probably buy it at some point, but currently, I'm doing what I normally don't like doing which is watching a walkthrough. The game is only about an hour and a half long so it's short, but if you compare it to film which costs more for around the same amount of time it's a decent deal I suppose. It's $9.99. I'm currently watching it through now. I'm not so sure about the writing/story; it's fine, but the nostalgic gameplay/visuals and music is great. I love the music and the city vibe it's going for. It was meant to be out on PS4 on the 20th, but I guess it'll be out next week. I was hoping there'd be a lot more to the experience, but that's not really what the game is about, which is fine for the price.

Edit - Just watched it all. The story wasn't very deep and was kind of simple, but it seems there'll be more to come. It just kind of throws a topic out there but doesn't do a whole lot with it in my opinion by asking interesting questions or answering anything and mostly just sticks to one thing (kind of depressed kid keeps going to the arcade) rather than making any major strides toward something. Good music and a decent atmosphere for what's there. Telling by the Steam page, it's going to be a five-part thing and right on the storefront page, it says it's estimated to take two hours to complete. At least it's upfront about it. I'd feel bad about not buying it, so I will, but I'm going to wait until it's on PS4/Xbox One (maybe until the entire thing is out).

I think what will be cool is if the more you start playing the arcade stuff, the more it starts blending into the 'real' world that the character is in. This scene I really enjoyed. You don't have to watch the whole game obviously, but the part from 23:44 to 27:26 (or you can start at 20:45) is stuff I hope comes up more. Or even at the beginning of the game after the beat em up section it transitions up from the beat em up world and into cityscape and more great music, but more contemplative; I really like that. I just hope the story comes into something worth thinking about because as it is it's a bit... sophomoric maybe?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks interesting. I never buy or start episodic stuff until it’s all out of the last episode is about to come out, so I’ll keep an ear out.

Seems like I’m the target demographic, except as much as I went to arcades and played games, it was always a more social thing with friends (and music ended-up being the thing that really defined me, interest-wise).

Cool setting, art (mostly, not sure about that face in reflection), and vibe...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Some of the voice acting in the trailer started giving me goosebumps in a bad way. "When you're a child shadows seems darker and lights seem brighter.." Yah. This seems to be capitalizing on all the latest trends. Coming of age story, retro soundtrack, 1980's nostalgia, pixel graphics and a bunch of different games of the yesteryear references.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

As a big dungeon crawler fan, the gridder part 30 seconds into the trailer is really intriguing. I have no sense of how big a part of the game that is though, and the rest of it doesn't really appeal to me much.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: That looked to be one of the more annoying parts of the game honestly.

@humanity: True, in some ways it fails (I think the story is cliche/stereotypical but for starters a bit darker with no positive outlook), but in other ways, I think it excels even in the myriad of games that try to do 80s style (like music in my opinion and the city look).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: Same. I'm going to wait and see how it is once it's all out. Still waiting for all the Life is Strange 2 episodes because as it is, I hardly even consider it a thing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

Oh, and it's worth noting, Yuzo Koshi is one of the composers which is the person that made the music for Streets of Rage (personally, I liked what I heard in this game more than SoR, but it makes sense why it's so good).

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I finally got around to before the storm, which I really dug. I started installing Captain Awesome (or whatever it’s called) and Life is Strange 2, when I noticed that the last episode isn’t scheduled to be out until EOY.

I promptly cancelled the downloads and decided I’d maybe check it out over the holidays...

I can wait for games, but I really don’t like having long pauses between episodes.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Not surprising, they evoke Streets of Rage in that trailer quite a bit, the music included. Good stuff!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#14 fisk0  Moderator

@ntm said:

@fisk0: That looked to be one of the more annoying parts of the game honestly.

Huh, I don't know, every other aspect of the game is stuff that's been done thousands of times recently, but there aren't a lot of these kinds of dungeon crawlers, so I'm always up for that even though it certainly doesn't look like a great one of those.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

@fisk0: True, but it seems the game isn't really trying to be deep with any of them. They have a good amount of variety in each variation, but they're not deep as they're more of a way to convey what the character is thinking. They seemed cool throughout but they're just short gameplay slices (of around five minutes) to get you to the next story beat. I could be wrong considering there has only been one episode, but I think it's a game you go to mainly to see how the story unfolds and how the retro style gameplay contributes to it rather than putting a focus on making those individual genres fleshed out like a full game. They're cool and they give you what you know (and probably love) about those style of games, but they're not, like I said, deep or lengthy.

The reason why I said the RPG one might be the most annoying is that it's merely about moving in bare black and blue grid hallways remembering what moves make the most damage depending on the enemy, and if you die you have to start that entire sequence over, hearing the same bits of dialogue again and again. It's short, but it doesn't look fun like the other genre styles could be. I really just hope the story goes somewhere (and dialogue gets better) because if the story can impress, everything else will feel justified in my opinion. If nothing else, once they put the soundtrack out I'll definitely be listening to it.