'Limit' not configurable?

asshat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

From all accounts it appears that returning any JSON is limited to 100 results and cannot be changed. Is that the case?

Is offset the only way to use datasets larger than 100 results?

If so, that's a pain and it would be great to pass in 'limit=xxx' and have it work as intended.

Thanks

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

Yes, using the offset is the only way to access all of the data.

You could argue that the limit is too low or should be configurable, but there has to be some sort of upper limit. The dataset is too large to allow people to pull down any arbitrarily massive set of results.

asshat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fair, and thank you for the prompt reply.

Follow-on question: If using offset to compile a >100 result set, are my offset datasets guaranteed unique and not overlapping without any additional sorting or data validation elsewhere in my line?

Eg -

Total result set 300, return offset=0 > offset=100 > offset = 200

Data set is the complete 300 results with no chance for duplicate, overlapping or missing records.

Thanks!

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asshat: From my experience the is answer is no (if you are sorting from newest to oldest). But more likely than not you won't have it happen often because videos just don't get uploaded that frequently (especially now). So if you want the larger data sets to come back correctly you will need to "refresh" and grab whatever latest videos might have been uploaded since you started making the calls which should adjust your offset to be accurate.

If your sort is from oldest to newest then you shouldn't really ever get an duplicate, overlapping, or missing records.

asshat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi @ev77,

Just wanted to say thank you for the reply to this. I know it's late, but my posting rights were unceremoniously removed months ago.