Avatar image for sneakingmission
sneakingmission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By sneakingmission

Looks great, but I'm holding out for HD audio.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My main concern is that by having information on the screen like this, the staff will just not bother to mention the name of the game because it's already there, and so now only people who watch the video get that info.

It's sorta like how people were concerned when the Bombcast went video to begin with because people might do something visual like make a motion with their hands to illustrate a point, and audio only listeners would be missing out on this sort of thing.

I know the Beastcast (or just Vinny, mostly) has been trying to make sure to say the name of the game after a segment is over. I wouldn't mind the Bombcast doing something like that too.

Yeah I'm in this camp too. I mostly enjoy podcasts as something to listen to while I'm doing something else (driving, working out, gaming, painting miniatures, etc.) so I just hope none of the audio context gets lost in the mix of things.

With that said I love the new visual things you're doing and think it's healthy to mix things up and try new stuff!

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Adding what game you are taking about is great Makes skipping in the video so much easier.

bennok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aye Jan,

First off, love the new changes. Having the title of the game that's being discussed is an amazing touch. I watch the pod at my desk, and sometimes lose track of what's being talked about, having the current discussion topic somewhere on a lower 3rd would be an amazing addition for those of us that can't pay attention (even if it's just a small "Prettyfied" banner overlayed with text)

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool stuff, but don't let slide to a video thing too much if you can. I like to listen to it mostly and whenever there are visual gags and stuff, I miss it. I woulf love to see the actual numbers on how many people listen and how many watch the show.

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like the static "now talking about" text although I think the white color makes it bit hard to read. I also like the up-down split screen for when there are alot of people on the cast and, I think that the three segment one works best with the white bars.

defordj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to the Bombcast 10x more often than I watch the video, but I love all of these changes and am glad you've made them. I might end up watching more.

I do prefer the 60fps, but I know there's solid reasoning behind moving to 24/23.98fps.

jbick89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jbick89

I definitely prefer the look of 60fps, but since it's just a video people sitting and talking, and not gameplay or something, it's not a big deal. I think the informational stuff on the video is awesome.

I kind of like the single, full shot over split screen, but no strong opinion there.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is all cool beans

No Caption Provided

Good jorb

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen time stamps mentioned for those of us who primarily listen to the podcast as being pretty high in demand. Any chance of that happening?

loudgeekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Powerful Young Jan!

udzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By udzie

I dont watch the live stream (Doesnt work with my work schedule), but the way theses screenshots look it really seems great! Its really great work Jan, as always!

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great! I think it makes video podcasts more relevant when there's actual visual information that enhance the experience instead of just putting a face to the voice.

sirgregmac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who watches the video on a side monitor I appreciate all the extras done to the video. While I know a few things have been done that were mostly visual (Ben's floasting/moving cup), I would say everyone saying they don't like the name of the game being discussed on screen may not realize the guys at the table don't see the video so they don't know/think about the visual aspect of the podcast.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I like everything but the news inserts. I'm choosing to watch the video version of the podcasts because I want to clearly see the faces of the people who are talking, not useless text that says the same thing they are saying. It's not needed and takes up too much screen estate. The focus should be on the GB crew (and guests), with small bits of extra information like the name of the game on the bottom of the screen.

Dilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gang gang

siamesegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forheiszombie: 60fps video of real people looks cheap and nasty. 24fps all the way.

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

24 fps for computer content is sad. 30 or 60 is far better because not many monitors support 24 fps.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The name of the game being discussed on screen stood out to me as the most useful feature, everything else is nice to have but the game name was genuinely useful.

I’m not fused either way on the frame rate, there’s little benefit to 60 FPS in person so happy with that change.

But let’s get to the real talk. When are we going to see DMX Goomba?

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks great.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

My thoughts:

• 60fps is nicer to watch, especially when the rest of the site's video is doing 60
  • Animated game name etc. scroll is annoying -- I'm not always focusing my full attention on the video, and that sort of motion drags my attention back to it. A static note is useful though
  • Ditto animated transitions (zooms/wipes) -- it grabs my attention for no good reason. I prefer the simple cuts
  • Splitscreens are useful when it's a full house, but when you can get everyone in a single shot, I prefer that (compare the two images under "WHAT GAME WE'RE TALKING ABOUT"). Doing the tight shot of the three individually makes them feel more isolated/disconnected, and changes the general vibe somewhat
  • News: noting the headline/source might be useful, but dedicating over half of the screen to a generic Fortnite image/a paragraph of text that A) is only the introduction to the article and B) I can't really read whilst people are taking doesn't feel like a good use of space

video playback for stuff we find

It's an audio-first show, so that doesn't necessarily seem like the best of ideas.

Nanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please stick with 60fps.

fitzoperfecto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I like what you did! Keep the experiments coming.

• The splits with white-bars separating the groups is my preferred look.
  • For game titles, a non-scrolling game title + background banner is easier to read.
    • Benefits are, the contrast can be controlled and you don't have to worry about a busy background
  • The news layout was nice, but could use some tweaking to be useful for me. There was a significant amount of text from the article in the shot and I instantly started to read that instead of listening to Jeff speak.

While experimenting with looks, are you thinking of tagging the timeline with topics/games? If so, expose that data and someone could start doing pop-up video like content on GB Infinite. Who doesn't like learning random facts.

Birdville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please restore the frame rate.

Avatar image for cheapbossattack
CheapBossAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some great improvements, Jan. As someone who solely consumes the Bombcast in video form (and loves the absurd transitions found in UPF), this is a most welcome change.

bigsteve33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Love it! Jan you rock! Quickly becoming one of my favorite duders fo’ sure.

I watch on a 1080p 240Htz native resolution TV and didn’t really mind the framerate change. I love the “now discussing” text idea.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

gang gang

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys have been killing it lately. Love the changes. Indifferent on the framerate.

iikkapetteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jan the man, this is awesome.

brut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stordoff said:

My thoughts:

• 60fps is nicer to watch, especially when the rest of the site's video is doing 60
  • Animated game name etc. scroll is annoying -- I'm not always focusing my full attention on the video, and that sort of motion drags my attention back to it. A static note is useful though
  • Ditto animated transitions (zooms/wipes) -- it grabs my attention for no good reason. I prefer the simple cuts
  • Splitscreens are useful when it's a full house, but when you can get everyone in a single shot, I prefer that (compare the two images under "WHAT GAME WE'RE TALKING ABOUT"). Doing the tight shot of the three individually makes them feel more isolated/disconnected, and changes the general vibe somewhat
  • News: noting the headline/source might be useful, but dedicating over half of the screen to a generic Fortnite image/a paragraph of text that A) is only the introduction to the article and B) I can't really read whilst people are taking doesn't feel like a good use of space

video playback for stuff we find

It's an audio-first show, so that doesn't necessarily seem like the best of ideas.

This is basically exactly what I wanted to type so I'm just going to quote this instead.

Also DMX goomba.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those all sound good except maybe the animated transitions. Unless its for breaks, i think those will just distract instead of helping.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just here to voice an opinion.

• I find 60fps more appealing.
  • Animated transitions are distracting from converstations.
  • Scrolling text is also distracting so I'd prefer static text which is easier to glance at.
  • I like the splitscreen stuff. Less so when each individual gets their own frame but moreso for groups of people (like the example with the 8-4 crew).
poopiedeloopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83  Edited By poopiedeloopie

Cool! I like most of the changes listed, but I disagree with the framerate change. I much prefer 60fps and we need more outlets conditioning society to realize its superiority too! Hopefully you guys switch it back to 60 soon!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn’t even notice the frame rate. Good to save data. Hopefully the podcasts will be in MPEG 5 HEVC soon enough once more devices support it.

Needs some more on screen characters like the PlayStation Playroom robots.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To be honest, I really dislike the 24 FPS framerate. But I do not watch these frequently enough to be taken into account here. I wish we all just moved to 60 FPS in TV, movies, games, everywhere. 24 looks so... wrong. Very choppy and weird. Maybe I've been watching too many GB videos, and not enough movies, but... it looks wrong.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Looking fresh Jan. Nice work!

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Fun stuff! And a merry gang gang to you too, sir.

coldblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By coldblood

Very nice!

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As long as the video version doesn't become "the way the Bombcast was meant to be heard" then bring on the experiments!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By hassun

Loving the new features but I am a big proponent of 60fps (or more!) over anything people seem to deem "filmic". Get that tired old 24fps outta here!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate it, looks much better with the splitscreens and the information is helpful.

GramCracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really great stuff Jan and Jason! I love the experiments and especially the "what game we're talking about" scroll. As someone who tries my best to catch the show live while at work, it's pretty nice to know what the topic switched to if I was pulled away for a while.

Personally, I prefer the 60fps stream. I thought something was up with my connection or phone when I watched the last bombcast lol. I'm glad I wasn't crazy.

fedallah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By fedallah

Just finished watching 4/3's Bombcast. I don't think the four panel split works all that well - while it does put more focus on everyone's faces, it cuts off their hands and arms. While they don't use their hands too much, there were several points in the video where gestures were cut off. Personal opinion is that the improved face detail is not worth the trade off.