jeff on gamespot gamplay

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By laussica

gamespot gameplay is my 2nd favorite podcast and this week jeff was a guest, everyone should listen to it

its a mix of gaming news and trivia, jeff did great!

not sure if this has been mentioned yet

1DER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 1DER

@laussica: Thanks for the heads up.

Link for anyone else that wants to check it out.

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By laussica

gameplay is a great podcast but its never in the top game and hobbies podcasts on itunes, highly underrated

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I heard this. I enjoyed it.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I'm subbed to like a gajillion podcasts, but I've completely forgot to sub to Gamespot's for some reason...

Looks like I'll now be subbed to gajillion and one.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By c_rakestraw

@laussica said:

gameplay is a great podcast but its never in the top game and hobbies podcasts on itunes, highly underrated

GameSpot isn't doing a whole lot to promote it, to be fair. Still doesn't have its own podcast page.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By jacksukeru

Yeah he killed it, it was a good episode. Being a guest makes the whole affair a bit more formal and the show itself is a little more "serious", but I thought this brought out a good side in Jeff. He was also really good at calling out and questioning the occasional bullshit of one Tom Mcshae, something no one else on that show does quite as efficiently.

Brad's been on there once too, maybe twice, not sure. I might mix up one of his appearences with another on the Tested podcast.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Woo! Listening to it now!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

Fuck those guys except Jeff. What a bunch of nerdy pricks. Fan feedback is vital for game devlopment. There is a reason that many people disliked the ending. Valid reasons even. I can't listen to those people talk, it's jut irritating. It's a shame since I liked their Spec Ops episode.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bocam

@Phatmac said:

Fuck those guys except Jeff. What a bunch of nerdy pricks. Fan feedback is vital for game devlopment. There is a reason that many people disliked the ending. Valid reasons even. I can't listen to those people talk, it's jut irritating. It's a shame since I liked their Spec Ops episode.

My exact thoughts

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phatmac

@Bocam said:

@Phatmac said:

My exact thoughts

I hope Giant Bomb never becomes that bad. Ugh. Was there any gaming website that actually respected fan feedback during the ME3 ending fiasco? I bet not.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By nightriff

@Phatmac said:

@Bocam said:

@Phatmac said:

My exact thoughts

I hope Giant Bomb never becomes that bad. Ugh. Was there any gaming website that actually respected fan feedback during the ME3 ending fiasco? I bet not.

I'm not going to listen to it but was Jeff disrespectful to Fan Feedback too?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By MetalBaofu

@Nightriff said:

@Phatmac said: I'm not going to listen to it but was Jeff disrespectful to Fan Feedback too?

Jeff really didn't say anything. What I got from what they said was simply that the vast majority of the fans know nothing about game design, and will have vastly differing ideas. Some people will want the game to have this or that and another group of people will want the exact opposite. Knowing what players liked and disliked about a game is important, but there has to be a limit. Like with Mass Effect 3, they need to know what people disliked about that ending so they maybe won't make similar mistakes in the future, but the amount of people that were literally demanding they change the ending was ridiculous.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By ManMadeGod

Can't listen/watch anything with Tom Mcshea on it. Sorry

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Phatmac

@MetalBaofu: That's my exact point. Dedicated fans that probably know more about Mass Effect than devs do. Their arguments against the ending should have been respected instead of tossed aside by assholes like those people on this podcast. People were upset because it was a horrible ending that was a lie from what Bioware had said before the game launched. I wasn't as upset as most people, but I believe that the endings were horrible and that a better ending would have been great. The artistic aspect of the argument is ridiculous and so are the arguments against the endings faults. You can like the ending and dedicated fans can hate it and wish for a new ending.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I don't want to be a dick but all those other guys don't know what the hell they are talking about. That phone guest was terrible both in terms of quality of the call and insight he provided.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By BlackLagoon

@msavo said:

That phone guest was terrible both in terms of quality of the call and insight he provided.

I dunno, he had a very one sided "games as business" oriented view, but I though the bit about Metacritic's influence on publishers - to the point where they give poorer deals to developers who haven't got high average Metacritic ratings, was quite interesting. And kinda depressing.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By RE_Player1

@BlackLagoon said:

@msavo said:

That phone guest was terrible both in terms of quality of the call and insight he provided.

I dunno, he had a very one sided "games as business" oriented view, but I though the bit about Metacritic's influence on publishers - to the point where they give poorer deals to developers who haven't got high average Metacritic ratings, was quite interesting. And kinda depressing.

I just thought it was funny the amount of bullshit he spewed in terms of Microsoft and Sony are going to do exactly this at this exact time etc.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By FLStyle

Enjoyed it, Jeff made a lot of sense.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Phatmac said:

Welp, I was going to listen to this but your comment turned me right off. Thanks for saving me from that, duder!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By csl316
@ManMadeGod

Can't listen/watch anything with Tom Mcshea on it. Sorry

Understandable. But hopefully Jeff balances things out here.
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By MetalBaofu

@Phatmac said:

@MetalBaofu: That's my exact point. Dedicated fans that probably know more about Mass Effect than devs do. Their arguments against the ending should have been respected instead of tossed aside by assholes like those people on this podcast

That's where it seems like you're over-reacting to their comments to me. I didn't pick up on anything that made me think they didn't respect people's opinions on stuff, and definitely didn't hear anything to make me think they are "assholes." It was only one of them that said anything about ignoring fan feedback, and I think he just meant that he likes Bioware and would trust their decisions on stuff. That was just his personal opinion on what he would like Bioware to do. It wasn't him saying all fan feedback should be ignored. They were mainly talking about development on upcoming games, and that the developers, at some point, need to be able to make their game without focusing on what EA(or whoever) or the various fans want. Because, as they said, fans are not expert game designers and are going to want multiple, contradictory things.

As for the Mass Effect ending, I think a lot of what happened there was the rational people's opinions getting overpowered by the people demanding the ending be changed. The insane internet rage, petitions to get the ending changed, etc. were everywhere. Stuff like that extended cut DLC for Mass Effect 3 is what I think they might have been getting at. I don't really think that should have happened. That was them caving in to fan feedback. They felt they had to do something, but at the same time they didn't really want to change their ending. So they ended up wasting time and money on a free DLC that really didn't solve any of the main problems people seemed to have with the endings.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Gamespot Gameplay in general is pretty hit or miss. There are times when I enjoy it, but there are other times where it's genuinely difficult to listen to. Most of that comes from Tom McShea, whose level of elitist snark ranges from annoying to intolerable and I think the podcast would be significantly better if he wasn't on every week. Oh well, it was nice having Jeff on if only for him to call Tom out on his BS about Bioware.