Missing Patrick on the Bombcast

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By morrelloman

I'm a huge patrick fan, but the pods have been funnier without him. Regardless he is a good, important part of the team and Giantbomb needs the shit out of him. He is the future. He is the nasily voice of reason. He is the Kleptok.

Whirblewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Whirblewind

I've really been enjoying Patrick being away. Not having the condescension he brings to the podcast is a real treat.

I didn't mind him coming on board, and I do read Worth Reading every week, but I don't miss him on the podcast and I have a lot more fun with the guys with his absence.

Sorry, Patrick.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Deusx

I think they should have him on skype. I miss his stuff too.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#154  Edited By Hailinel

@AndrewB said:

Pssst! Let's all talk about the people who work here as if they can't read what we're saying.

Yes, let's.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@AndrewB said:

Pssst! Let's all talk about the people who work here as if they can't read what we're saying.

Well, yeah, technically they could. Would they? Nah. They've got better things to do then interact with their community.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB said:

I hope they do read it as I consider this thread to be mostly constructive criticism rather than the usual braindead bashing.

Then again...

@Zacagawea said:

Well, yeah, technically they could. Would they? Nah. They've got better things to do then interact with their community.

The man has a point.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#157  Edited By Fallen189
@Whirblewind said:

I've really been enjoying Patrick being away. Not having the condescension he brings to the podcast is a real treat.

I didn't mind him coming on board, and I do read Worth Reading every week, but I don't miss him on the podcast and I have a lot more fun with the guys with his absence.

Sorry, Patrick.

Cianyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Cianyx

@Dixavd said:

The funny thing that I find about the whole "it's been like old times" thing for me is that since I didn't get into the Bombcast until late last year*, I enjoy listening to Patrick’s voice mix in with the group as something that is so normal that I find the whole thing to feel quite off when he isn’t there. As someone who hasn’t felt any improvement to the podcast of late, I wonder if it is just peoples nostalgia that makes them think that it is.

*(Never been a podcast person, listened to it on a whim and found it to be one of the only podcasts I have ever enjoyed so I stuck with it).

I'm revisiting old podcasts right now (currently at pre-patrick) and I'd have to agree with this sentiment. Patrick isn't the funniest guy around but he's still an interesting personality. With or without him it's still enjoyable

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Harkat

Patrick is cool and a worthy addition to the Bombcrew, but the original four are a complete team on their own.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#160  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

@The_Ruiner said:

I'm fine without him for a while.... But they should tag in Drew or Dave more

I support this idea.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#161  Edited By Humanity

@Zacagawea said:

@AndrewB said:

But .. but!.. Jeff posted on NeoGaff about Giantbomb... thats like interacting with A community..

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By EnduranceFun

Patrick needs to be in less quick looks and honestly, I'd like him not being on the bombcast period. I'll be honest again... I stopped listening soon after a few with him in them, and have restarted listening to them now he's gone. He always comes across as that one hipster from the Reddit hive mind who can't be objective and in fact has very little knowledge about video games, plus the way he BSes with his stories is just infuriating. And yeah, his voice is annoying and he interrupts everyone.

Saying that, it's not like I hate the guy, nor do I relish in his recent tragedy. He's the news guy, which isn't a hard job, but it's needed when historically Giant Bomb had Nicholson and Kessler delivering the news. I'm an intermittent regular of Worth Reading, which is alright. Though I will say some of his articles strike me as too one-sided and elitist, the booth babe one coming to mind. However, he's certainly a good addition to Giant Bomb, just not on videos or the podcast, in my opinion.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By cheesebob

I don't care. The bombcast loses nor gains anything with or without Patty K there. It has almost been constantly great forever.

solidwolf52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#164  Edited By solidwolf52

It's weird, I never thought much of him being there. Never disliked him, but if he was gone for a week I wouldn't miss much. But how that he's been gone multiple weeks in a row I notice that something is missing.

Come back Tricky.

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#165  Edited By pandorasbox

@MrKlorox said:

It's been a breath of fresh air, imo. edit: And I've been able to watch every single QL put up on the site without having to check who's in it first, which feels like old times.

Well, considering there are only about 3 or 4 quick-looks in an entire week when Patrick is gone, this makes even more sense.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By AssInAss

@Humanity said:

@Zacagawea said:

@AndrewB said:

But .. but!.. Jeff posted on NeoGaff about Giantbomb... thats like interacting with A community..

They read all of this, especially the hate towards Patrick. Brad was genuinely affected by the brad dying meme.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Palmlykta

@Mattalorian said:

5 is just too many voices, which has nothing to do with Patrick.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#168  Edited By Humanity

@AssInAss: I think it might bother Brad a bit but it's not something he's losing sleep over. My comment was more of a joke - I see Jeff post on the boards here and I see Brad reply to a lot of comments. Ryan changed his Twitter picture to the pic from the Bombcast Babies thread - so I think they're active. I think people just see them posting on NeoGaf and they automatically get kinda defensive as to why they wouldn't be posting on their own forums instead.

Patrick gets a lot of hate and although I don't condone saying really stupid things like what was quoted in his blog, there might be a reason why at least half of GiantBomb usually hangs cats and dogs on him. He has some rough edges to him in my opinion and those are not things you can just change without completely restructuring yourself as an individual which is a step way too far. In Patricks words, you might say he's the Majoras Mask of GiantBomb.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Milkman

@Zacagawea said:

@AndrewB said:

I think they read the forums a lot more than you think.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By kortex

Nope. Not missing him. Sorry, just my opinion.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By AndrewB

@TeflonBilly said:

@AndrewB said:

I hope they do read it as I consider this thread to be mostly constructive criticism rather than the usual braindead bashing.

Maybe less than I was expecting, but I don't see a whole lot of construction to the criticism. The work site has been abandoned.

I've certainly enjoyed the gaming talk portions of the last few podcasts, but that hasn't been because Patrick wasn't there. It's more like Vinny *was* there. The only reason I'd have for not wanting Patrick there is because I also want to hear from other members of the site like Drew and Dave, but they're also tied up doing more of the behind the scenes stuff for the sites.

Also, 5 people on a podcast *is* too much. 3-4 is the golden number. 2 leaves too many awkward pauses, 5 means no one gets enough time and they're talking over one another.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By leinad44

Wow some of the giantbomb community are coming across as real dicks in this thread. Guy lost his dad and had to leave the office for a while and people are happy to see him gone. Yeah they are obviously not happy that his dad is dead, but some of the comments I'm reading here are coming across as pretty insensitive. I really hope he never reads this thread.

I think he is a great addition to site because he is unique to the rest of the bomb crew, he shows a passion and willingness to talk about certain games that the others would probably have very little to say about. Yes he can be a little loud sometimes, but to me that just shows his passion about games. In fact, ever since he's joined I've felt that I have learnt a considerable amount about the games industry and my interest in the industry has grown just from hearing him talking about it.

A year on and people are still whining about Patrick, I find that a little bit sad.

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Creme

I'm fine without Patrick for video content. Partnering him up with Ryan always results in horrible QLs because of Ryan's negativity and Patrick's snarkiness (then he begins to act like Ryan for whatever reason), and on the Bombcast he can overpower some of the others, plus he's not as funny.

Hope he's doing okay but I'll take the original four every day.

Also, another vote for more Jeff-hosted podcast goodness!

jstaunton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By jstaunton

@leinad44 said:

Wow some of the giantbomb community are coming across as real dicks in this thread. Guy lost his dad and had to leave the office for a while and people are happy to see him gone. Yeah they are obviously not happy that his dad is dead, but some of the comments I'm reading here are coming across as pretty insensitive. I really hope he never reads this thread.

I think he is a great addition to site because he is unique to the rest of the bomb crew, he shows a passion and willingness to talk about certain games that the others would probably have very little to say about. Yes he can be a little loud sometimes, but to me that just shows his passion about games. In fact, ever since he's joined I've felt that I have learnt a considerable amount about the games industry and my interest in the industry has grown just from hearing him talking about it.

A year on and people are still whining about Patrick, I find that a little bit sad.

I don't know you as a GBer but you are spot-on.

In fact, Patrick seems to possess a fair bit of knowledge of the gaming industry that Ryan, Jeff and Brad don't, and those are areas I enjoy listening about.

Foxtrot0245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Foxtrot0245

I'm very sad that his dad died, but I'm glad to have the original four back. So glad that I am planning to renew my sub, if this whole Patrick coming back thing proves to be false. If having an opinion and a sense of personal taste makes me a dick, then so be it.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#176  Edited By YoThatLimp

I have been digging the latest bombcasts. I actually listened to the last one a second time which I have stopped doing. This has nothing to do with Patrick though, I think 5 people is just too many people to have talking. I feel like the 4 man podcasts gives everyone a chance to talk and explore the comedy space. I do miss his perspective though, he is usually pretty interesting on the podcast.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Barrock

I regret reading this thread. Some of you are horrible.

Subach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Subach

@EnduranceFun said:

He always comes across as that one hipster from the Reddit hive mind who can't be objective and in fact has very little knowledge about video games.

Huh, he always seems, to me, to have a solid general knowledge about video games. Frankly, when someone makes a statement that comes off to me as glib or ignorant on the Bombcast, it's more often than not coming out of Jeff or Ryan.

I find Jeff and Ryan more amusing, to be sure, but I respect Patrick's opinions on games more because, every once in a while, he's actually willing to put some damn effort into a game that requires it (The Witcher 2). Unlike Jeff and Ryan, who are pretty damn quick to dismiss games they can't grasp right away as being "outdated" or "janky".

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#179  Edited By Gerhabio

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

It is kind of nice to go back to the original crew. Feels like the old days, especially when they will spend the majority of the podcast not talking about actual games.

This.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#180  Edited By jorbear

I really enjoy Patrick on the Bombcast. Keep it up.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#181  Edited By DarthOrange

@JStaunton said:

@leinad44 said:

In fact, Patrick seems to possess a fair bit of knowledge of the gaming industry that Ryan, Jeff and Brad don't, and those are areas I enjoy listening about.

Good to see there are a least a few Bombers who are not total ass hats.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By bio595

@Scooper said:

I'm glad. I think he worsens the content he's in and I've enjoyed the podcast and quicklooks very much these last couple weeks.

I would agree, except for TNTs for me. For some reason his presence on them is more entertaining to me than on QLs or the bombcast

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By august

I'm looking forward to his return.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By mrpandaman

@DarthOrange said:

@JStaunton said:

@leinad44 said:

Good to see there are a least a few Bombers who are not total ass hats.

Yeah I agree. A lot of comments coming off as insensitive.

I remember first hearing him on G4's Feedback and I always liked what he had to say. Like leinad44, I've learned a lot about the games industry, because he's the one who peaked my interest in it.

So I do hope that he does come back soon especially with that time of year coming up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Humanity said:

@Zacagawea said:

@AndrewB said:

No Caption Provided

"How come Jeff don't want us man?"

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#186  Edited By ThePickle

@Humanity said:

@Zacagawea said:

@AndrewB said:

This is the second time someone's referred to Jeff on NeoGAF. How often does he post there? Is is stuff that he also posts here as well? As little as he does interact with us lowly users, he does it more than just about everyone on the staff (except maybe Patrick or Dave).

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#187  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Again: Regardless of your opinions on Patrick, he is here to stay. While it's nice to know that people miss Patrick, some of you persist in acting like a bunch of dicks and insulting him on his own site. Which is why this thread is being locked.