Why isn't there phone calls/audio in the email section of the BC?

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Recently I had listened to This is Only a Test (episode 71) and they (or Will) allow people to attached their audio file into emails. I was wondering why the bombcast or Ryan doesn't do that sort of thing. 

Now I know that the bombcast had did that stunt before (in season 1) but after that they had apparently forgot about it. 

heat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By heat

because its terrible, nobody wants to listen to a spergy question hesitantly asked

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By tyxja

I miss this feature from The Hotspot, actually. The guys always had a lot of fun with it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

Because there should only be emails in a section of the Bombcast called 'emails'?

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WickedCestus

Remember that brief stint of the Hotspot when Tor was hosting where they would live call people and ask them trivia questions? That was kinda cool. I think the Bombcast is fine the way it is though.

Avatar image for relentlessknight
RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By RelentlessKnight

its also in the emails section of This is Only a Test  

I still think it would be alot funnier if they added/included that in that section. I was also recently listening to Year in Review(?) where he mashed up all the funniest moments in the Hotspot into a three to four hour podcast. The phone call section was hilarious but since Ryan said earlier that phone calls might be a problem, he also said that having audio files attached to your emails is acceptable. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

My guess would be that it's because the bombcast is much more popular than This is Only a Test. They would get hundreds of audio submissions & it would take Ryan ages to listen to them all to select a couple of decent ones to actually play on the air.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emergency

I like to hear Ryan read out a user question in a mysterious tone, especially when poorly written.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zyn
@heat said:

because its terrible, nobody wants to listen to a spergy question hesitantly asked

@ShiftyMagician said:
Because there should only be emails in a section of the Bombcast called 'emails'?
these reasons are valid.
Nakirendral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nakirendral

Actually! If I remember correctly, back when I first found out about Giant Bomb I listened to the ENTIRE back catalog since the Arrow Pointing Down days of Jeff and Ryan shouting into shitty mics. Yeah they used to listen to questions from people but, holy crap! The questions were typically so garbled and incomprehensible that I fully understand why they would not want to pursue that form of listener interaction anymore.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sogeman

Thank god there isn't. I always skip through the questions on Tested to the answers.

OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By OroJackson

it would take way too long to properly edit and condense a question into a listenable length, with emails Ryan can get the gist of the question out quickly so they can answer it and move on

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ViciousReiven
@OroJackson said:

it would take way too long to properly edit and condense a question into a listenable length, with emails Ryan can get the gist of the question out quickly so they can answer it and move on

Laziness is not an excuse.
kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By kingzetta

no one wants to hear your voice

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@ViciousReiven said:
@OroJackson said:

It isn't laziness but a time thing since their podcast is already 2 hours long.  Ryan also sorts through the emails for the email section of the bombcast and hosts 2 live shows with user interaction, one of them regularly accepts live phone calls from the audience.
Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Any legitimate question can be posed just as well or better in an email, and that way it's easier to pick out which ones are worth answering.

The only good thing about phone calls on the Hot Spot was the dumb kids who would call in, but I don't think many kids listen to the Bombcast.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ViciousReiven said:

@OroJackson said:

Neither is stupidity.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Because it's tested's worst podcast segment, as much as i love that cast.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By redbliss

They probably get enough crap already in their emails, and it would take way too much time to dig through all those recordings to find a couple good ones. They dont need to do it. 

Anyway, has anyone here listened to the idle thumbs podcasts? If so, do you remember what episode they started listening to the phone calls they received? Just wondering.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

@heat said:

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jeffgoldblum

If you go way back in time to the earlier bombcasts they try phone calls for one episode. Both Jeff and Ryan say on that podcast that it is too much work and they are going to just stick to emails. I wish I could remember what bombcast it was, but I'm pretty it was pre-Brad/Vinny.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Beaudacious

I always skip Tested questions since they're usually written by people unable to google search or talk too fing much. Emails also lets them read more questions, since you'd probably waste to much time gushing over the bombcast.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Beaudacious said:

I always skip Tested questions since they're usually written by people unable to google search or talk too fing much. Emails also lets them read more questions, since you'd probably waste to much time gushing over the bombcast.

I'm sure they can all Google search, but wanting personal opinions of people in the know is way better than googling and coming up with millions of different views.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Recording a message is much easier that writing one, because you don't really need to think ahead of what you are going to say which leads to a lot of really crappy recordings and rumbling and mumbling people and with the popularity of the Bombcast I can imagine it will be flooded with a lot of messages and Ryan doesn't have the time to listen to all of them, it is much easier and faster to just to skim an email.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Yanngc33

So...um....yeah....what kind of....ah condiments do you guys like to put.... on your hot dogs?..... thanks

This would be the result if they did

kuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kuddles

@heat said:

Seriously. Listening to the call-ins on the Happy Hour already makes me want to kill myself.