Broken Age's nod to Giant Bomb

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Playing through Broken Age once more, just to get some of those deliciously stupid Steam trading cards--I sell every single one I get, have almost made a whopping $4.00--and I was clicking around a bit more in the Hall of Heroes room in Shay's storyline when I found this, which I believe to be a small nod from Tim Schafer:

No Caption Provided

What do you think? If you click towards the top row, third cubby from the left, you'll get the message.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That is really neat :D

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I should probably play the copy I have still installed in my library... eh?

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't get it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Since it's related - gb user eladren found this in the Broken Age documentary-

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think it is one :x

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By SMTDante89

I don't get it.

Sometimes people refer to the guys here at Giant Bomb as the Bomb Squad, so the above could be a reference to Giant Bomb, which is possible since Tim Schafer is a friend of the site.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I remember that part, and I wasn't sure whether it was actually a GB reference or not.

Since the ship AI gives him all of these fake missions to go rescue things (runaway train, etc.), I assume some kind of "defuse the bomb" mission used to be done when he was younger and it has since been retired, but the Hall of Heroes still has some sort of toy bomb defusal robot or something.

Or maybe it's a veiled GB reference, who knows. The "-bot" added onto the end makes it less likely. It's certainly not as clear cut as all of the weird internet references in Guacamelee.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I don't think that's a Giant Bomb reference.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By erhard

Bomb squads are real things which use robots to dispose of ordnance, so I have my doubts. "BombSquadBot" would be a weird way to get a reference in, either way.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I was going to say it wasn't a reference, but with that, I'll raise my answer to a maybe.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

That's pretty cool!

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erhard said:

Bomb squads are real things which use robots to dispose of ordnance, so I have my doubts. "BombSquadBot" would be a weird way to get a reference in, either way.

Yeah, this is a real stretch.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said, I wasn't sure, so I wanted to throw it out there. Sometimes during the emails section of the podcasts, people write in referring to them collectively as the Bomb Squad. Not often though. Either way...uh, play Broken Age! It's a lot of fun.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb:

It took me a moment to find it. That's wonderful.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By RenegadeSaint

@erhard said:

Yeah, this is a real stretch.

See above.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hah!

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Draxyle

I'd believe it was deliberate. I mean, a Bomb Squad toy robot? I can't think of any other reason for them to be that oddly specific on the kind of robot unless there was a humor angle involved, which it doesn't appear to be.

It might be a stretch, but it wouldn't be the first time Double Fine puts Giantbomb into their games in some way.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By guanophobic

@draxyle: What other references have they made?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

What about this Polygon reference!!?????

No Caption Provided

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@draxyle: What other references have they made?

Well I don't think it was part of the final product, but if you ever saw the Double Fine Happy Action Theater quicklook, they were quite explicitly putting Giantbomb stuff into the demo build of that game.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did someone ask Brad Muir on twitter or something? ... Maybe he can confirm it?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

What about this Polygon reference!!?????

No Caption Provided

Love that dude!

No Caption Provided

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

I'd like to say it would would be great to see more nodes to others in the industry in games. Or, would the novelty ware off? Either way it's great to see these things. The Ryan pic obviously more than a node, and more of a memorial.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why would they purposely capitalize the B and S in BombSquadBot in the subtitles? I mean why not just type out bomb squad bot? It's a very subtle but intentional thing to do. It could be a stretch if it wasn't typed out the way it is.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BisonHero

@mrpandaman said:

Why would they purposely capitalize the B and S in BombSquadBot in the subtitles? I mean why not just type out bomb squad bot? It's a very subtle but intentional thing to do. It could be a stretch if it wasn't typed out the way it is.

I think it's capitalized the way you would capitalize a brand name of toy, like a...BeyBlade or something. Obviously they're all fabricated by the Mom AI, but I think they're meant to seem like named toys.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpandaman said:

I think it's capitalized the way you would capitalize a brand name of toy, like a...BeyBlade or something. Obviously they're all fabricated by the Mom AI, but I think their meant to seem like named toys.

Then if that's true, BombSquad is a specific name albeit a name that only fans of this website would get. The next question to ask is if this type of naming things is consistent through the whole game.

If it is and all the names are subtle nods towards others, then only one can assume that this is indeed a reference to GB. If this is a one off naming reference, then again one can assume this a nod to GB. If this is not a unique instance and the other naming schemes follow the same pattern of branding things albeit proven to be fake names then this would not be a reference to GB. As it is now, it is safe to assume that this is GB reference also seeing as how DF has interacted with GB.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

Since it's related - gb user eladren found this in the Broken Age documentary-

<3

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By cornbredx

No offense, but I don't think it's a Giantbomb reference intentionally. I've never known Tim to be that vague about a reference in his writing. I mean, he isn't heavy handed but if it's a reference you'll be meant to get it. I don't see it here. It's to vague. Bombsquad is to ubiquitous in this context to be an intentional reference to anything.

Got people talking about Broken Age, though. I'm totally cool with that!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

If you think it's a reference, it is. If you don't, it's not.

Since Tim will never say one way or the other, that's that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

@mrpandaman said:

I think it's capitalized the way you would capitalize a brand name of toy, like a...BeyBlade or something. Obviously they're all fabricated by the Mom AI, but I think their meant to seem like named toys.

Then if that's true, BombSquad is a specific name albeit a name that only fans of this website would get. The next question to ask is if this type of naming things is consistent through the whole game.

If it is and all the names are subtle nods towards others, then only one can assume that this is indeed a reference to GB. If this is a one off naming reference, then again one can assume this a nod to GB. If this is not a unique instance and the other naming schemes follow the same pattern of branding things albeit proven to be fake names then this would not be a reference to GB. As it is now, it is safe to assume that this is GB reference also seeing as how DF has interacted with GB.

I was right with you up until the last sentence. It's not safe to assume it's a GB reference. There is a pattern of branding things on the ship with fake toy names. BombSquadBot is implied to be a toy used in some kind of bomb defusal mission that is now retired. You get Grabbin' Gary, a little robot that can grab stuff. I think the radiation suit and/or space suit also have some kind of toy-like brand name. The whole ship is like the commercials on a children's television channel, a constant stream of fake toy names and fake breakfast cereal names.

There would need to be SOME other kind of reference. If there was a visual cue that was clearly the GB logo or luchadeer or something, sure. If right after he said "BombSquadBot" he referenced a GB meme or said "duder" or something, maybe. But I don't think merely calling something BombSquadBot means anything.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By wrighteous86

Look, Square made a reference to Giant Bomb in Final Fantasy XII too!

No Caption Provided

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpandaman said:

@bisonhero said:

@mrpandaman said:

I was right with you up until the last sentence. It's not safe to assume it's a GB reference. There is a pattern of branding things on the ship with fake toy names. BombSquadBot is implied to be a toy used in some kind of bomb defusal mission that is now retired. You get Grabbin' Gary, a little robot that can grab stuff. I think the radiation suit and/or space suit also have some kind of toy-like brand name. The whole ship is like the commercials on a children's television channel, a constant stream of fake toy names and fake breakfast cereal names.

There would need to be SOME other kind of reference. If there was a visual cue that was clearly the GB logo or luchadeer or something, sure. If right after he said "BombSquadBot" he referenced a GB meme or said "duder" or something, maybe. But I don't think merely calling something BombSquadBot means anything.

I meant since this was the only thing that the OP showed, I assumed that for what was shown, that it was unique. I haven't played the game yet and only seen just a little of it, so I didn't know if they branded other things in the same fashion. Now that you have said that there are similar naming schemes, then now I'm very skeptical that this is a nod to GB.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There should be a "Best GB reference" thread although we all know that the Windwaker HD guide is the best.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrighteous86 said:

Look, Square made a reference to Giant Bomb in Final Fantasy XII too!

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100412140409/finalfantasy/images/7/73/1090496-giantbomb_ffxii.png

No Caption Provided