Computer freezes when I visit Giantbomb

Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Noticed this issue a few days back. My laptop freezes every time I visit Giant bomb. Doesn't matter what browser I use. I also noticed a warning when signing in with my phone or tablet. Anyone else having this issue? Any help so I can get back to watching GB videos on my laptop? I assume I picked up a virus, I find it odd that only GB makes my laptop freeze though. Let me know if this topic should be moved.

wintermute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I had a similar problem once on another site and it turned out there was a corrupt font on my computer. Only the site in question happened to use that particular font. You don't say what OS and version you are using, but you might want to try moving first one half your fonts out of the fonts folder, then putting them back and moving the other half, and see if you still have the problem. If removing half of them seems to fix it, put those back and remove half of that set. Keep repeating until you've narrowed down the one it is.

Might be any of a number of other problems as well, but that's something to try.

Kaj235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm getting this issue as well. Happens on my desktop computer which is about 4 years old and on my brand new laptop which is a Dell Vostro. They are both running Windows 7 64 bit and I usually use Google chrome.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ScreamingFist

I am also encountering this issue both on my 4 year old laptop and brand new PC I just built in September. Both are running up to date Windows 7 64 bit home and Google Chrome. I'm assuming @kyotsu and @kaj235 that your computers don't unfreeze and you have to reboot? If so how long have you tried waiting? My i3 laptop takes about 45 seconds to unfreeze then everything works fine while my i5 PC takes about 20-23 seconds to unfreeze. It's weird because after it's had it's "morning freeze" I don't have any issues for the rest of the day.

Kteven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kteven

I am also encountering this issue both on my 4 year old laptop and brand new PC I just built in September. Both are running up to date Windows 7 64 bit home and Google Chrome. I'm assuming @kyotsu and @kaj235 that your computers don't unfreeze and you have to reboot? If so how long have you tried waiting? My i3 laptop takes about 45 seconds to unfreeze then everything works fine while my i5 PC takes about 20-23 seconds to unfreeze. It's weird because after it's had it's "morning freeze" I don't have any issues for the rest of the day.

I have the exact same situation on my PC. Now, thanks to you, I have a name for it. My Morning Freeze is anywhere between 20 seconds to a minute, then its fine. Weirdly though, if I open "recently closed tabs" and get to GB that way, it doesn't happen.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Giant Bomb is that powerful.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Cirdain

Probably the North Korean Firewall.... I hope nothing bad happens

Edit: Oh yeah there's something messed up with the certificate verification on their login page. I have no idea what I just said but I think it's that.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I have the same issue, it only happens on one of my computer's though, I use them both daily, the laptop freezes for about 30 seconds the first time I open giantbomb.com, after that it's fine though, I can open the site 5-6 more times over the course of the day and no issues past the first time I open the site, no issues on my desktop. Laptop is windows 7, desktop is windows 8 both running chrome.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By xymox

Thought it was just me. Also running chrome on win 64 bit, logged in through facebook (tied to certificate verification...?)

Tab keeps spinning and nothing happens for a while, and when I click the mouse button the computer freezes for a good 30 or so seconds (the mouse also becomes frozen in the spot I clicked), the computer beeps, and then everything works as if nothing ever happened.

Only on my stationary though... Laptop is fine, also running chrome, 64 bit, and logged in through facebook. Hmm.

Kaj235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kaj235

@screamingfist: No, it unfreezes after 20 seconds like you said. It also only happens for the first time I open chrome and giant bomb after starting up my computer. It freezes up my laptop completely for those 20 seconds and only partially freezes my desktop because I can still move my mouse around while chrome is frozen.

edit: I tried restarting my laptop and was able to open GB through the recently closed tabs with no issue. Closing chrome after doing that and going to just giantbomb.com did not freeze it. I'm also going to try disabling all extensions to see if one of them is creating an issue. If it is a facebook issue try facebook disconnect extension.

Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kyotsu

So it does unfreeze after about a minute or two. Incredibly strange but happy I can finally get back to watching videos here.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Nictel

Try opening the page with firebug or something comparable to see if it hangs on some external call like facebook.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also freezes for me for about 20-30 seconds. I had the problem with another website but that seems to have gone away. I do find it strange and never found out what changed with the other site that fixed the issue for me.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yep same for me. Always happens when I visit this site the first time after opening chrome.

thekeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By thekeenan

Same here. Computer will freeze for 20-40 seconds the first time I load up Giantbomb. Has yet to happen with any other site.

Kaj235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know whats changed, but now both computers are freeze free. I changed absolutely nothing and it works fine now. Maybe they found the problem?

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By expensiveham

I guess this means... the bomb blew up...

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...YEEAAAAAAAH

(i am sorry)

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nekroskop
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

The site will hitch up on the main page for about 30 seconds or so at most for me. Not all the time but occasionally. Happened to me when I loaded up the site today.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

hey guys

It took awhile, but we found out one of the devs can reproduce this issue at home so we're looking into it. Hopefully it's font related so we can fix it quickly.

ScreamingFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpibb said:

hey guys

It took awhile, but we found out one of the devs can reproduce this issue at home so we're looking into it. Hopefully it's font related so we can fix it quickly.

Great! I look forward to looking at GB without my puter hard locking for 30 seconds =)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By musubi

Well, this happened to me for the first time today. Same as everyone else about 30 seconds it froze everything then was fine.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Mine has been doing that since the site relaunch.

Every time I load Giant Bomb, it's a roughly 20 second freeze of the browser. Rest of the computer works fine. Just messes up the browser. Doesn't matter if it's Chrome or Firefox. (Haven't tried Internet Explorer, but why would I?)

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rchen

Thismay be a solution, but kind of sucks.

This only happens for me on Chrome in Win 7 though...Firefox and all browsers on OS X do not do this.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Just noticed a "waiting for om.cbsi.com" notice the last time this happened.

Also, definitely happens on my Firefox as well.

flashlightbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By flashlightbr

I'm getting this 'freeze' too. When I go to GB on chrome it freezes for 1-2 minutes when it seems to be trying to log-in. Firefox freezes for ~20 seconds. I had this issue before but it went away after a day or two. I'm running window 7 64-bit like the posters up-thread.

zerdune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Happens to me too. 20 seconds of freeze with Chrome/Win 7 64-bit.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a similar problem with sites like IGN on chrome. The solution was to uninstall chrome and do a clean install of the latest version.

The big freezes were mostly on sites that would just dump a whole bunch of embedded youtube videos and images on me, ancient blog style.

riffingt0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By riffingt0n

Was there ever a resolution to this? I'm getting this still (thread necro from just about a month and a half ago)

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Tarsier

i had similar issues on my laptop.

mrpibb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

we think the issue is related to some 3rd party javascript that we are using. we're working with the vendor to see what the fix may be (AFAIK other large freezes have been fixed).

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By HellknightLeon

I guess this means... the bomb blew up...

•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...YEEAAAAAAAH

(i am sorry)

I don't forgive you...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly it's the Last of Us of gaming websites

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

This problem seems to be fixed for me now, the last few days I haven't had my computer freeze up when I first visit this site each day.