Premium podcast feeds redirect to ad versions?

dontblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone know why some premium feeds at giantbomb.com/feeds redirect to the ad version? Trying to set up the premium Game Mess Mornings, but it downloads the ad version. I noticed if I click the premium Bombcast link, the feed stays on an API key feed, and that feed has always worked, but Game Mess redirects to spreaker.com with ads in the notes, and my podcast app (Podcast Addict) downloads the ad versions as well, even using the premium RSS URL with authentication.

I also tried to search the forum for help, but just get "Unable to execute your query. Ensure that a valid subscription key has been set up for your instance."

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't use the podcast feeds, but forum search is also borked for me in the same way. Trying to search for anything just returns an error message.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Anyone know why some premium feeds at giantbomb.com/feeds redirect to the ad version? Trying to set up the premium Game Mess Mornings, but it downloads the ad version. I noticed if I click the premium Bombcast link, the feed stays on an API key feed, and that feed has always worked, but Game Mess redirects to spreaker.com with ads in the notes, and my podcast app (Podcast Addict) downloads the ad versions as well, even using the premium RSS URL with authentication.

I also tried to search the forum for help, but just get "Unable to execute your query. Ensure that a valid subscription key has been set up for your instance."

Premium podcast feed issues are something that have been reported to @dtoast before, but more evidence that it is an issue is always appreciated.

I don't use the podcast feeds, but forum search is also borked for me in the same way. Trying to search for anything just returns an error message.

I'm not sure dtoast is aware of this issue with forum search, but I can confirm that it is busted. Here's what I got when trying to search "Nintendo Switch," but any time you attempt to use the site forum search, it says "Unable to execute your query."

No Caption Provided

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtoast@zombiepie I'm curious, any word on the search function being fixed? Because it's been two weeks and any attempted forum search still returns an error.

number3181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I continue to get the ad supported versions of the podcasts from the premium rss feed link also.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dtoast  Staff

These have been reported and are being addressed. But any future reports are appreciated.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dtoast  Staff

@atheistpreacher: The search function issue has been logged for some time now, but the ad/video issues are the current priority.

bigevil1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah I don’t know if it’s just a Pocket Casts issue or something but the premium fees for GMM still points to one with ads.

JAG9851

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like it's being worked on, so thanks for reporting! I am also getting ads on the Beastcast premium RSS feed.

dontblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Confirming this is fixed on Game Mess Mornings now. I'd have confirmed sooner, but apparently even it says I'm following this topic, I didn't get notified up the replies. Another thing to look into? :) Thanks, guys!

carpens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reported the same problem with the ads (on all podcasts except for the Bombcast) a couple months back. After a week or two I got a response that it was fixed, which it was - for one episode of Game Mess Mornings.

I haven't bothered reporting it again out of frustration, and this has pretty much shot down the chances that I'll re-up my subscription later this month.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carpens said:

I reported the same problem with the ads (on all podcasts except for the Bombcast) a couple months back. After a week or two I got a response that it was fixed, which it was - for one episode of Game Mess Mornings.

I haven't bothered reporting it again out of frustration, and this has pretty much shot down the chances that I'll re-up my subscription later this month.

I understand the frustration. I'll ping @dtoast to see if can say anything more.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dtoast  Staff

@carpens:I believe you already emailed the support system and I responded. But I completely genuinely understand the frustration. The team is aware of the issues, the product manager is aware of the issues, and the engineering manager is aware of the issues. I'm still reporting and advocating for what I can along the way.

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meanwhile forum search is still broken, has been since early September. Any chance this is going to be fixed, ever? Or will things on this site just keep breaking until it ultimately shuts down? Notifications have also been broken for the last month.

IDK, it really seems like no one is actually working on any of this stuff, and/or no one actually cares. I let my premium subscription lapse, and I can't say I have any desire to re-up for a site that is constantly broken and never fixed.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@atheistpreacher: I'll echo these concerns, although it's already a widely expressed sentiment. Every part of the site seems to have technical issues - the videos, the forum, the wiki. I don't have hope that much of any of it will ever be fixed.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meanwhile forum search is still broken, has been since early September. Any chance this is going to be fixed, ever? Or will things on this site just keep breaking until it ultimately shuts down? Notifications have also been broken for the last month.

IDK, it really seems like no one is actually working on any of this stuff, and/or no one actually cares. I let my premium subscription lapse, and I can't say I have any desire to re-up for a site that is constantly broken and never fixed.

@atheistpreacher: I'll echo these concerns, although it's already a widely expressed sentiment. Every part of the site seems to have technical issues - the videos, the forum, the wiki. I don't have hope that much of any of it will ever be fixed.

I will ping @dtoast and he can share this to the higher ups. The notification system has tickets already submitted about it but more ammunition to strengthen the case that this should be a top priority is always appreciated.

NikyuNingen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't bother, things are fucking dire when a website about video content can't even fix their video playback issues for over 10 months. I doubt they will ever fix them. It just seems easier to move everything over to YouTube and watch it there. This dilapidated website is akin to a condemned house, bugs everywhere and the owner still wants to see the rent for it like they do for premium subs.

NikyuNingen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtoast said:

@carpens:I believe you already emailed the support system and I responded. But I completely genuinely understand the frustration. The team is aware of the issues, the product manager is aware of the issues, and the engineering manager is aware of the issues. I'm still reporting and advocating for what I can along the way.

Why bother? Save your energy. If you have to advocate for a website about videos to get the video playback fixed it means no one really cares.

dtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dtoast  Staff

@nikyuningen: This isn't accurate but thank you for the feedback! I do understand the frustration.