Premium Video Player Especially Bad Recently

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hello,

I know the Youtube video player is superior to the in-house version which is solely used on Premium videos but this in-house version lately has grounded to a halt for me.

Takes about 3-5 min to even get the video loaded up enough to start only to load about 2 seconds worth of video before stopping to load more. This is evident in HTML5 and progressive mode on all quality settings. I would even wait in progressive mode for hours to see if the video would download and buffer all the way. It would not. Would only load up about 20 seconds, if that, and then go back to buffering and loading more of the video.

I even went to try and download these videos but that failed as well. These videos come in at about 10-15 Kb/s. As well the download just fails after about downloading 3 MB of the video. I am assuming this video player or wherever the video file is stored and being sourced from is broken or something. I don't know. But this effect is evident in any video that is not available via Youtube.

This is not an internet connection issue for me as I am able to stream full HD content with no problem and have vastly higher download speeds when downloading from any other source. I am using Google Chrome on my Desktop and Firefox on my Iphone X device. Both versions of video player have same problem.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have similar issues on my phone (android) but only when I use chrome. Playing any videos in the site's player instead of youtube leads to a black screen video that at best goes away after couple minutes. I've just been using giant bomb with firefox the past 2-3 weeks.

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought my phone(android) is crapping out for a few weeks. Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Erebus489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to know I'm not alone. Also on Android. Was wondering why videos weren't playing. Guess I'll wait :/

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By haneybd87

Another problem I’ve been having with the premium player is after I pause a video and then come back to it and hit play, it will play for a short bit and then stop. The only way to get it to play again is to reload the page and it fails to restart at my last known position. I haven’t been having any speed issues, however.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've had a weird issue where the GB player would somehow overlay over the YouTube player so both Start/Timeline bars at the bottom would kinda pop up over one another and I think I would have to fullscreen to get one of the buttons freed up to play. This happens rarely though and I have no idea how to replicate it.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Monkeyman04

@wcarle: Hey, I tried to do the speed test from the link, but I'm getting an error that says "3j5m3c.t1.re says Error NetworkError: Failed to execute 'send' on 'XMLHttpRequest': Failed to load 'https://cdn.t1.re/static/ping.js?1533673081898'."

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: On my phone I just get a network error when I click test. I’ll have to check later what my home connection is like. I don’t know if this error has anything to do with the fact that AT&T customers have no google today. Is some sort of network attack happening?

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle also getting similar error on my phone.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Glad to know it's something on their end, I had to just download a video today 'cause it wouldn't properly load in the player.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m getting network error at home too when I do that speed test. This is on an Xbox One X on a 350meg Comcast connection.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same deal here.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Chiming in to say I've been having the same problem with videos for the past week and change (sporadically—it seems fine today), and I got the same message when I tried to run said test

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle I've also been having video trouble and am getting the same error on that test site that kaungo posted earlier in the thread.

Yuuichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yuuichi

@wcarle Reporting in with the same error as above on the test site on mobile [android 8.1.0 w chrome] (desktop works fine, but is wired).

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same problems on a wired desktop PC.

soulstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By soulstoner

Echoing the above issues for visibility. I’ve been silent for a few years but I’ve reached my breaking point.

johannes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By johannes

Same. Chrome Windows 10, 500 mbit wired connection.

zigzag801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zigzag801

I too have been having multiple issues with premium content the last few months. Apps don’t work, Apple TV, Xbox, GBTV on iOS, they just get stuck buffering. I have 500 mbps wired, no issues with other streaming services, but have issues with GB content, which is a real bummer. Only time I can seem to get it to work is on Chrome on MacOS during the day.