Premium videos not working | Firefox, Chrome, Amazon Fire Stick

forrestera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By forrestera

I have premium membership account but for the last week or two the premium videos have been problematic. I just put it down to something with the video player updates but today I decided to check on other navigators/devices and they all seem to have the same issue. GB Live streams and open videos work without a hitch.

In Firefox and Chrome I click play and the circle loading animation starts but goes nowhere (eventually stopping after a while) and when I try to play on the Fire Stick (or click to download on desktop devices) it comes up with an error message:-

/Unable to connect to https://giantbomb-pdl.akamaized.net/2017/04/29/mc_upf_042817_34ovp56_4000.mp4?api_key=xxx/

I have tried changing the video source to different bitrates/quality and also to progressive but to no avail.

I'm running:-

Windows 10 home, Ver. 1607 OS build 14393.1066

Firefox, Ver. 53 (32-bit) with uBlock Origin extension

Chrome, Ver. 58.0.3029.81 (64-bit) with no extensions

Amazon Fire Stick, Giant Bomb enthusiast app

Any help would be appreciated.

Leeftie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Leeftie

In the time before the fix... it is easy to watch any (premium) video by clicking on Download -> On the Resolution you want Right mouse click -> Open in new tab. And you'll use the in browser player to get the stream directly. Which is nice.

forrestera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leeftie said:

In the time before the fix... it is easy to watch any (premium) video by clicking on Download -> On the Resolution you want Right mouse click -> Open in new tab. And you'll use the in browser player to get the stream directly. Which is nice.

Just tried that trick and unfortunately it still doesn't work for me.

Leeftie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Leeftie

@forrestera: I too bad, I notice your api key: /Unable to connect to https://giantbomb-pdl.akamaized.net/2017/04/29/mc_upf_042817_34ovp56_4000.mp4?api_key=xxx/ being xxx, did you do that yourself or was it like this? This is not a correct api key and makes the server deny you your video. You'll have to get Rorie on the line for this. With a valid key, like I have, I can watch any premium video. It's pretty weird that they just send this through the url, which means any inbetween station that handles my request to giantbomb can also enjoy any premium content by just taking the key. Hmm... GIANTBOMB IS STILL A THREAT ;)

forrestera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leeftie said:

@forrestera: I too bad, I notice your api key: /Unable to connect to https://giantbomb-pdl.akamaized.net/2017/04/29/mc_upf_042817_34ovp56_4000.mp4?api_key=xxx/ being xxx, did you do that yourself or was it like this? This is not a correct api key and makes the server deny you your video. You'll have to get Rorie on the line for this. With a valid key, like I have, I can watch any premium video. It's pretty weird that they just send this through the url, which means any inbetween station that handles my request to giantbomb can also enjoy any premium content by just taking the key. Hmm... GIANTBOMB IS STILL A THREAT ;)

I changed the API key myself to XXX, assuming that it's not the kind of thing I wanted others to see. As far as I could tell it was identical to the API key my account has been assigned.

I contacted Rorie but he suggested posting to the forum.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are several other threads dealing with this issue also...probably. I find opening with my browser (I.E.) gets it mostly fixed. Can't skip ahead though. Rorie in 2 other threads apologizes and says they are looking into it, I think he caught on, just came back today..

forrestera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By forrestera

Strange update, it seems to be IP based... I tried to log in and access on a different network and it seems to work fine. I have restarted my router but still none of the smart devices/PC's on the network can access premium content when logged in.

Any ideas how I might be able to resolve this?

forrestera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Working fine now. Thanks @Rorie and team