What Animes Would Dan Ryckert Like?

Enns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Clearly Dan's favorite animes would be Clannad and Grave of the Fireflies.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Bible Black

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Jeff mentioned that he had a copy of Akira he never watched. I bet they'd both get a kick out of it.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Akyho

I like how 90% of the suggestions here are suggestions of anime that are the exact anime Dan automatically says that they are stupid. More so coming round and saying "This TV series." as I think what if someone came by and said "here you like action films watch all 24 episodes of 24." 24 episodes is very daunting to someone who is not used anime. That is an automatic no despite Cowboy Bebop being one of the better suggestions. I personaly would tell Dan to sit and watch Legend of Galactic heroes....EXCEPT THATS 110 episodes! Of which to sort out the start is a task.

So guys....the main thing is ANIME BULLSHIT! not BULLSHIT ANIME! I mean WE NEED TO AVOID ANIME BULLSHIT. It is hard to tell if your so close it as that is what is part of anime mostly nowadays.

Dragon ball Z, Lots of Anime Bullshit.

Gurren Lagann IS NOTHING BUUUUUUUUUUUT anime Bullshit.

Black Lagoon pretty filled with anime Bullshit.

Redline a good choice as it actually has a very small amount of anime bullshit. Why do I say this? There is not stuff in it you need to know about anime in it! There is not real "Why does that guys pull that face? What does this mean? Why is that happening." Redline is just straightforward wackiness. Still a bad choice for Dan.

He wants MGS we wants over the top ACTION. Not OVER THE TOP Silliness. However Ultimate Muscle and Kinnikuman are strong candidates on the silly side and are a maybe in latching on to him.

Spriggan.....it is very MGS but it is also very cathartic and naval gazing with philosophising and such. Yes that is very MGS in a sense however Spriggan does not deliver it very well....it is a very well animated anime but terrible in story, Dan I am sure would not finish it or go to sleep.

Jo Jo's Bizarre adventure is an utter gamble to even mention, if he looks at it, his reaction is either "WHAT THE FUCK!? FUCK OFF ANIME!" or "OH GOD I NEED TO SEE THIS!".

Suggestion wise we need to have one good shot off action anime that Dan could enjoy. I suggest movies only series are too indepth if he was to watch ONE movie that would be a great achievement everybody is asking too much with a lot of these. I was not sure if I could suggest Castle of Cagliostro or Space Adventure Cobra myself as they are good and hold on their own with knowing about Anime Bullshit.....buuut there is Anime Bullshit in it but could be good following more recommendations if he watched some of the first level anime along the same lines.

I sent a message to Dan with my own refined suggestions. Let me copy the message and most of you here in this thread, if you are not already offended by my views of your suggestions....you will be after you read my message.

Hallo Dan I enjoy your personality, stories and efforts on Giant Bomb keep it all up, you are an utter perfect fit. Love the Metal Gear Solid section with Drew and I too am a big MGS fan, I am also a big anime fan and Dyslexic so do be kind if sentence structure is odd.

I listen to the Bombcast and hearing the not too inaccurate jokes and jibes about anime and anime fans. Metal Gear Solid has many Anime elements yet these are from good anime, OLDER anime. However I will flat out say...there are NO anime like Metal Gear Solid. It is only consumable as a game. Sure it has Cyborg Ninja's, Giant Robot's. Just nothing that fit's it. Closest two anime is Ghost in the Shell and Golgo 13 which are very different realy.

Anime used to be filled with really cool and well done action stories in the 80's up to the late 90's. Time changed and come 2007 the scene was dominated by Naruto, One Piece and cat girls. Modern anime is now simply tits and ass to sell body pillows.

I will tell you three anime Movies, I also suggest any foray into anime you do do you should stick to only movies, however maybe it is wise to not go too deep. Keep an arm's length to anime, it is great I love it....but from 2000 and before.

To start off if you watched Street Fighter the movie and felt it was terrible, and you would be correct. Then I suggest at the most minimum you watch Street Fighter 2 the movie. I will not say it is the best movie or the best anime movie, however it is the best Street Fighter movie maybe even best Video Game movie.

This trailer answers to some possible questions is an old one from the 90's, music is KDFM used alot by Manga Entertainment who is British were Anime was known as Manga in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlb65hp4lo

I mention Ghost in the shell, this is anime pretty much created The Matrix movies. It is not cyberspace, however does touch on it. This is the most like MGS you could get and this is a ten post anime for all to watch anime fan or just movie fan.

Ghost in the shell is a realistic based near future Sci Fi that has stealth, cyborgs and walking tanks. With philosophical moments. I urge you Dan as a Metal Gear Solid fan to watch Ghost in the Shell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMNtOQOaLU

My last recommendation tailored to you is like I and Jeff said Golgo 13 The professional from 1983. Following a hitman for hire on a job that has set him up. He still intends to do the job he was hired for and this requires him to infiltrate a skyscraper and fight a number of weird and unusual killers all with strange and semi believable backgrounds, just like MGS. You have Snake a gumless old flexible psycho killer as well as Gold and Silver the only two remaining members of a Vietnam Squad that had to do horrible things to survive and did it so well they no longer need to talk to each other to know what the other is going to do.

Here is a trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8Y1uSec34

Anime used to be great, it no longer is. I can suggest dozens and dozens of great action anime that most were created in the 80's that are simply no longer made. Why I suggest you do not fall into it.

Brad said Bubblegum crisis, that I would not suggest It has not aged well. Summary woman in exoskeleton armour fighting robots that often go berserk in a robot filled future.

Trailer sums it up. Still better than modern anime.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puWKKv0HU-c#t=30

If you have survived any of this I would actually recommend one last anime that is set in the same world as Bubblegum crisis. A.D Police Files (There is a Tv series A.D Police and it is just bad.) which is about the beat cops that have to deal with rogue robots with AP bullets and some extra weapons. A.D Police Files is more a Twilight zone cautionary tale for its four 30 min episodes. I cannot link a trailer as there are none, however I will sum up some of the notable stories. One story is even a twisted Robocop story.

One is about young women being murdered on a subway train after midnight, it follows a office working woman who has had a lot of cybernetic fittings. She feels she is no longer human being more machine than human. So she adopted a psychotic persona and kill "human" girls because she feels she is not longer human herself. A side story in is has a colleague of the main character cop complain her eye hurts, nothing wrong it just hurts. Yet in this age of cyberization insurance companies and part's companies urge her to replace her natural eye with a cybernetic eye. Nothing wrong just a slight pain...she goes through with it and disappoints the main character. A cautionary tale on cyberization becoming too common place where you will be butchered and have to pay maintenance on parts you never needed to replace.

The Robocop story is much the same as Robocop. Cop is mutilated and killed, secretly he is used as a test subject as an advanced robot. They test run him yet there is three things still human about him, his brain, an eye and his tongue. These were kept in order to keep him sane as he is not reprogrammed too well and trapped in a metal body. The female lead scientist chooses to keep him "stimulated" to keep sane and thus often spend "late nights" with him.

Another good action anime is Cyber City Oedo 808, criminal convicts are put to work going on suicide missions for the police to get some time off, all the time if they disobey the explosive collar around their neck explodes. This is like the most 80's action movie anime possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFHWRoc3ZqI

If you are a saint and read to the this point Dan, thank you. I leave you with one of the maddest anime's I have ever seen and remind you....Anime is weird.....yet cool and home you take any of these suggestions onboard even at least one. Enjoy yourself Dan and keep up the good work....make sure DREW TAKES IN ALL THE MAIN MGS PLEASE!

Dominion Tank Police. Tank....Police. It is an action police comedy and does have two Catgirls in it AND TANKS! This is created by the same man that created Ghost in the shell (Story/comic/Manga) than I mention earlier.

the same man that created Ghost in the shell (Story/comic/Manga) than I mention earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_RVMGNRqE

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Cowboy Bepop is the only animes I can think if that he may like.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really want Jeff and Dan to jump off the deep end and watch anime ass anime. I would pay to see them watch Kill La Kill

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl said:

@bbalpert: I don't think it's comic booky though. I was just trying to articulate the broad character idea. Dude has money, nice house, butler, gadgets, a sidekick.

I actually think it also fits in with Metal Gear in that the story has fun action but also some weird stuff too.

I think Big O is still probably one of the number one "shows that people who don't like anime still like" so ill throw in for this

It has an art-style that looks like an western animated show (which is what they were trying for and helps when you have some of the Batman:TAS animators on your team) and doesn't really have any of the tropes that people usually list for not liking anime-type shows.

Also I still think Schwarzwald is one of the best villains in anime/TV

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Cowboy Bebop and Big O.

I don't care if he watches any other anime, he should just watch Cowboy Bebop.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything western influenced would do. I'd say Cowboy Bebop or Berserk.

There some other good stuff along those lines, but it comes with some caveats. Ghost in the Shell (movie) for example is kinda boring in this day and age and Akira, while spectacularly animated it's a bit underwhelming story-wise for being an adaptation from a significantly larger story from the original comic....( tho he might like the gore)

Maybe Trigun and FA Brotherhood also.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Cowboy Bebop, Kinnikuman/Ultimate Muscle, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and maybe FLCL.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By azrailx

@akyho: black lagoons crazy anime shit (ie serial killer vampire children of doom, etc) only really ramps up once the series has already hooked you

also the stupid bad English intro is great (cigrattes, guns and tits, what more do you need?) but might be off putting

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Akyho

@azrailx: I never said it was bad as an anime. I just said It was bad for introducing to a non anime fan. I myself enjoyed it sad that the creator has a fetish for Roberto and dragged that part on too long so much so it has gone past Black lagoon and is almost the only this he does now. Remember the original brief from dan himself is "MGS like anime." Black Lagoon is not all that MGS like.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I can't remember the name, but the one where the angel always accidentally kills the person she's guarding/protecting and has to bring him back to life.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syz said:

Samurai Champloo baseball episode.

Detroit Metal City.

Yuuuuuuuup. That baseball episode is fucking amazing.

I think anyone can enjoy Champloo.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt (it's so westernized he might not think it's an actual anime)

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dan likes Dark Souls right? For some reason I remember him saying at some point he enjoys Dark Souls.

If that's the case, he'd definitely enjoy the Berserk comic. At least the first volume. It's Metal as fuuuuuck and tells a compelling story. Even if he doesn't like anime on the whole, Berserk is special. Really love that comic.

Bible Black

This made me laugh way too hard. I had a friend who swore up and down that it was the greatest anime ever.

If you can't tell I got trolled pretty hard.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'll say a bunch of the stuff people have already said pretty much. I think Dan like ridiculous action and he's probably so desensitized like the rest of us that gorey violent stuff would be cool as well.

Cowboy Bebop - I recently watched this and thought it was alright. Fight sequences are very well done but maybe wasn't enough of them? Great style. I think it might be a little too slow for him?

Redline - I thought this was awesome but I also like racing and F-Zero and such. This is basically F-Zero: The Movie. I also feel like I lost interest in it about half way through. Mostly has the awesome opening sequence and the decent closing sequence. Fantastic animation.

Akira - Famous bike scene with great music. I think Jeff and Dan would both like this. But this movie also descends into "wtf.. anime" at some point and it makes no sense. They might like that.

Attack On Titan - Really just because I think Dan would like the action and violence. I think it suffers from the same DBZ stuff of every episode milking every cliff hanger to death. He might not like all the in-between talking stuff but I think he'd like the story. Show is still awesome.

Blood: The Last Vampire - Been forever since I've seen this. Its a movie I think with good animation and action as far as I remember.

Kite - Another movie I think? I remember there being action with the girl shooting dudes and stuff? Don't remember much about it.

Death Note - Awesome. Not sure if Dan would be into the awesome sort of analytical crime detective stuff. Don't remember there being any real action but awesome suspense thriller.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll say a bunch of the stuff people have already said pretty much. I think Dan like ridiculous action and he's probably so desensitized like the rest of us that gorey violent stuff would be cool as well.

Cowboy Bebop - I recently watched this and thought it was alright. Fight sequences are very well done but maybe wasn't enough of them? Great style. I think it might be a little too slow for him?

Redline - I thought this was awesome but I also like racing and F-Zero and such. This is basically F-Zero: The Movie. I also feel like I lost interest in it about half way through. Mostly has the awesome opening sequence and the decent closing sequence. Fantastic animation.

Akira - Famous bike scene with great music. I think Jeff and Dan would both like this. But this movie also descends into "wtf.. anime" at some point and it makes no sense. They might like that.

Attack On Titan - Really just because I think Dan would like the action and violence. I think it suffers from the same DBZ stuff of every episode milking every cliff hanger to death. He might not like all the in-between talking stuff but I think he'd like the story. Show is still awesome.

Blood: The Last Vampire - Been forever since I've seen this. Its a movie I think with good animation and action as far as I remember.

Kite - Another movie I think? I remember there being action with the girl shooting dudes and stuff? Don't remember much about it.

Death Note - Awesome. Not sure if Dan would be into the awesome sort of analytical crime detective stuff. Don't remember there being any real action but awesome suspense thriller.

Kite is the very last thing you want to show someone who has a low opinion of people who enjoy anime.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd say Gundam Wing. It's been a long time since I watched it but I remember it being loaded with the same war is hell melodrama that Metal Gear Solid has as well as awesome robot action scenes and I remember it being light on the anime bullshit.

Or show him the Evangelion movie and make his head explode.

P.S. As a long time dabbler in anime I've got to say that the MGS series is one of the most anime series I've played this side of Hatsune Miku: Project Diva. The poor bastard doesn't even know how much of an anime fan he already is...

Evan223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

edder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

Detroit Metal City.

Baccano!

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen the first 20 or so episodes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It seems like the kind of mix of really cool action and weird story stuff that a Dan Ryckert would be into.

Join us!

Also I can't not recommend Dragonball Z, Bacanno, Soul Eater, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, and Akira.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G Gundam. It's just giant robots punching each other. I think he could get behind that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I kinda think he would like One Piece. Early on anyway. It has grand-scale insane action scenes but is also whimsical and very non-serious about itself. And it doesn't have schoolgirls or shitty romance.

Cowboy Bebop is just a really good TV show, unqualified. You could easily watch that and 99 other highly-rated anime, and hate everything else you saw.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#127  Edited By cornbredx

Probably any without crazy animal people and with lots of awesome fights.

I was going to say he would like Outlaw Star- because it's one of my favorites- but he may not like it because of animal people in that.

He might like Trigun if he can reconcile the looney tunes comedy that is intermingled with the super serious metaphorical story about the A-bomb.

He could potentially also like the .Hack//sign series if only because it's about video games (but it also has animal people, although I would argue those are more easily defended since they're avatars inside a video game).

I basically just named 3 of my favorites, all of which are maybes.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#128  Edited By Milkman

Stop trying to corrupt Dan, you animals. Don't listen to these damn weebos, @danryckert. Stay on the path and remember:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hajime No Ippo? It's about boxing, so it's sorta like wrestling just.. you know, real. It's one of the few animes I enjoy.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By jerseyscum

Psycho Pass isn't that bad of a choice either for a newbie. It's shamelessly cribbed from Phillip K. Dick, but somehow finds it's own voice. And I'm a sucker for neo-noir and cyberpunk.

Anything by the late, great Satoshi Kon. Perfect Blue, Paprika and Paranoia Agent are fucking BRILLIANT. I don't throw the word "genius" around often, but Satoshi easily fits the bill.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Akyho

Animes gaintbomb/forums suggest Dan Would Like

• JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Space Dandy
  • Free! Eternal Summer ?
  • Spriggan
  • Kill La Kill
  • Fist of the North Star
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Bleach
  • Redline
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Shin Chan
  • Hunter X Hunter
  • Darker Than Black
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
  • Gundam Wing
  • Detroit Metal City
  • Kinnikuman
  • Black Magic M-66
  • Baccano
  • Afro Samurai
  • Captain Tsubasa
  • Ultimate Muscle

I will give my commentary on predicted reception to these suggestions with a mix of what Dan may like AND IT BEING CLOSE TO MGS LIKE WE KNOW HE LIKES. Also you gotta think on how Dan can watch this stuff, we cannot advocate illegal stuff and we should not assume Dan would do so. Also just saying Crunchyroll is kind of dangerous he goes on and there is Girls Und Panzer or Strike Witches and he goes "nope too weird goodbye". I would say a DVD in his hands is the better result.

• JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, it is absolutely outlandish an a manly way it could work but I think it is too out there and requires a anime refined mind. Actually kinda like MGS in some very small ways. However how will watch this?
  • Space Dandy .....just nah. Too Whacky and not at all like MGS. How would he watch this?
  • Free! Eternal Summer ? SIMPLY NO NEVER WHY IS THIS EVEN HERE!? NOTHING TO DO WITH MGS! HE SHOULD NEVER WATCH THIS!
  • Spriggan, I think it is not that exciting and would bore. It is very MGS like maybe? DVD easily found and should be cheap.
  • Kill La Kill, I think this is too stupid and whacky and too japanese requiring too much explanation that no one could give. Also the pacing is terrible. NOTHING LIKE MGS. Getting the DVD/Blu ray is an expense and effort right now.
  • Fist of the North Star, Maybe. this would be more to Dan's Pallet however it is a series. The movie would be better. How easy are either on DVD?
  • Cowboy Bebop, It is good and may grab Dan. Easy on DVD sadly it is a series and a bit of an ask to get his attention on I think.
  • Bleach, NO! Even Bleach fans get annoyed with bleach due to pacing and it is too long. Easy to get on DVD but that is a lot of DVD's.
  • Redline, This is nothing at all like MGS, however I think it is very palatable to a non anime fan. I got my non anime friend to watch and enjoy. No explanations needed. Easy to get on DVD and cheap.
  • Ghost in the Shell, I think this is one of the anime's most in the wheelhouse of MGS and also it has 0 Anime bullshit, why it is an international hit. Good recommendation. Easy to get on DVD and cheap.
  • Shin Chan, it is not a good showcase on anime. NOT AT ALL LIKE MGS. Can be gotten on DVD.
  • Hunter X Hunter, I cannot comment on this too much except I do not think so. Too many DVD's if he can get it.
  • Darker Than Black, I really cannot comment on this.
  • Gurren Lagann, I really do not think it would go down too well, as well as many anime fans have a problem with the mid way point. Very unlike MGS. DVD's plentiful
  • Samurai Champloo, I cannot comment on this, however I do not think this is a good choice. Unknown MGS likeness. DVD's available.
  • Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, another anime that does not showcase anime at all. NOTHING LIKE MGS. DVD's Available.
  • Gundam Wing, There is good reason for people to suggest this but I have gone back to watch it in recent years as a big gundam fan, realising it is slow and boring, very simple politics and well...stupid characters. Quit like MGS. If It was not so boring it could be a suggestion. DVD's available.
  • Detroit Metal City, Not a good showcase of anime and NOTHING LIKE MGS. Are DVD's available.
  • Kinnikuman, This might actually work the only problem is it's age. Also it is kinda of MGS like. Are there DVD's?
  • Black Magic M-66, This might actually work this one. It is very anime like and kinda of MGS like. This is good recommendation and it is a one shot movie. There should be DVD's out there but probs out of print.
  • Baccano, I cannot comment on this. DVD's plentiful.
  • Afro Samurai, While it is a decent recommendation to alot of non anime fans, I do not think it is for Dan. A bit like MGS. DVD's plentifull.
  • Captain Tsubasa, naaaah I really do not think. naaaah. DVD's are not easy I think.
  • Ultimate Muscle, This might work. DVD's are around but how easy to get?
GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jerseyscum: Oh yeah. Psycho Pass is fucking great. Not sure how Dan will take it though. Also its an anime that doesn't have a lot of "anime bullshit" that Akyho is purporting that we should avoid. :P

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Corevi
@akyho said:

• Fist of the North Star, Maybe. this would be more to Dan's Pallet however it is a series. The movie would be better. How easy are either on DVD?

Both the movie and series are on Amazon but they are pretty expensive ($20 for the movie and $106 for the series).

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: Btw Redline is actually available for free on Youtube AFAIK from the distributor's channel.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@milkman said:

Stop trying to corrupt Dan, you animals. Don't listen to these damn weebos, @danryckert. Stay on the path and remember:

No Caption Provided

Wrestling is for jerks.

DAN IF YOU ARE READING THIS WATCH AKIRA. If you go into it with an OPEN MIND I guarantee you will flip your lid. All types of cool shit, way more entertaining than a bunch of guys in tights fake hitting each other.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho said:

Both the movie and series are on Amazon but they are pretty expensive ($20 for the movie and $106 for the series).

Movie it is then. Besides it wraps up the series storyline with some of the main points. Price is the only barrier.

@gaspower said:

@akyho: Btw Redline is actually available for free on Youtube AFAIK from the distributor's channel.

I forgot Manga entertainment has gone insane in a very cool way. Yeah Redline is available for free streaming on Youtube legitimately and legally.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#138  Edited By LackingSaint

Cowboy Bebop and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Cowboy Bebop is nice and easy to watch for someone not into anime; it's just a fun space adventure with some cool fight scenes. JoJo is wrestling-as-fuck.

Dan would not like Kill La Kill; I like anime generally and even *i'm* kind of embarassed watching Kill La Kill. Think of something that either isn't super-anime, or is anime in a way that is so outlandish that it just makes you go "FUCK YEAH". And no blatant sexualisation because that's like the number one thing that makes people discard anime. Get that trifecta right and it's all good.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Metal Gear

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By DeadpanCakes
@tobbrobb said:

Probably some shounen show like Hunter X Hunter or Bleach. If he can get through the first couple of episodes he will worship Gurren Lagann forever. Darker than Black seems like a safe bet. Probably Black Lagoon.

This is pretty much exactly what I was gonna say. Particularly the part about Gurren Lagann. Seeing him nod his head sternly and proudly during the introspective moment between Snake and Meryl made me feel like, if he got to the final third of Gurren Lagann, he'd love it. That's a big if though-- I mean, I feel like I went into Gurren Lagann with a pretty open mind and even then, I nearly stopped watching before the eighth episode.

Besides that, I just came in here to post this:

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cowboy Bebop and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Cowboy Bebop is nice and easy to watch for someone not into anime; it's just a fun space adventure with some cool fight scenes. JoJo is wrestling-as-fuck.

Dan would not like Kill La Kill; I like anime generally and even *i'm* kind of embarassed watching Kill La Kill. Think of something that either isn't super-anime, or is anime in a way that is so outlandish that it just makes you go "FUCK YEAH". And no blatant sexualisation because that's like the number one thing that makes people discard anime. Get that trifecta right and it's all good.

I think people should think "What anime would they show their parents?" I myself have recommended anime I got my friends to watch and enjoy, or more so my father watches and enjoy. My dad loves Legend of the four kings, Heroic Legend of Arslan and the anime that topped both me and my dads lists Legend of t5he Galactic Heroes we watched together at the start of this year all written by Yoshiki Tanaka. My father was the first to show be anime despite it being a new discovery himself. The first real anime I saw was Cyber city Oedo 808 which....it is a very violent swearing anime my father recorded on VHS and showed me at the age of five. Been watching anime since and more so my love is 80's anime as that was when action anime was great.

Like you say a balance, JoJo strikes that balance better than Kill La Kill for the reasons to already stated, JoJo IS a gamble may work, he will remember it. I think Jeff remember after the all star battle Quick look.

Evan223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Evan223

I don't know if this has been said or not but the live action Fist of the North Star movie was on Netflix last time I looked

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@evan223 said:

I don't know if this has been said or not but the live action Fist of the North Star movie was on Netflix last time I looked

That movie is a pale imitation of the manga and anime. And the complete anime series is currently on DVD through Discotek Media. Someone should just send Dan the complete series set and tell him to binge marathon it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By GaspoweR

@akyho: Btw, some of us did suggest Psycho Pass. How do you think, hypothetically speaking, if Dan liked Ghost in the Shell, then Psycho Pass might be a safe bet on a show that he might actually like as one of the follow-up recommendations? Though it does have a lot of talking parts and not a lot of action so I don't know if Dan would get into that. Plus Psycho Pass is on Netflix, not sure if Dan has a Netflix sub but I think he does.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@evan223 said:

That movie is a pale imitation of the manga and anime.

Yeah it's fucking awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d000a93730da
deactivated-5d000a93730da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Guilty Crown

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking of doing a thread like this. Glad you did.

Ghost in the Shell? Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, TTGL, Full Metal Panic (maybe Fumoffu), Darker Than Black.

Anything with guns and fighting and stuff. Things closest to 80's action movies as possible.

ApolloDynamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@bigjeffrey: HAJIME NO IPPO!

It's not wrestling, but it is Boxing! He might like it!

Metal Fighter Miku, Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Ghost in the Shell.....others like that.

jamesdane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he would really like Akira. Sweet ass cyberpunk madness with motorcycles, psychokinetic power and a pretty interesting story. I haven't seen anything even compare to Akira to this date (my personal opinion, of course).

Madz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Madz

Legend of the Galatic Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNyY2F1OurUbDBCtILijHYI52YAiIvSX5