Delete: Forced Replay Value.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

Stumbled across this page and think it should die for being too subjective.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter
@Video_Game_King said:
" Stumbled across this page and think it should die for being too subjective. "
no you obviously never played ghouls and ghosts
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
@trophyhunter: 

I have, but again, it's far too subjective to be an actual concept. Hell, I could say that Final Fantasy Tactics has forced replay value for repeating some plot points almost verbatim.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

yeah but in ghouls and ghosts you get to the end and it says 
nah son you gotta play through the game again

jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By jasondaplock

Though I think it has some objective value, the term "Forced Replay Value" really is just a combination of several other mechanics. 

Seconded for deletion.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Skald

This does seem super-subjective. Not only the concept, but the way the article is worded. I have to agree, this should be deleted.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob

I'm no mod but I agree this is way too subjective.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By KamasamaK
@trophyhunter said:
" yeah but in ghouls and ghosts you get to the end and it says  nah son you gotta play through the game again "
What does the second playthrough entail? Would you say it fits more with something like New Game Plus?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
@Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" yeah but in ghouls and ghosts you get to the end and it says  nah son you gotta play through the game again "
What does the second playthrough entail? Would you say it fits more with something like New Game Plus? "
no to get the first and only ending in the game you have to play the whole over again
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
@trophyhunter said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
What does the second playthrough entail? Would you say it fits more with something like New Game Plus? "
no to get the first and only ending in the game you have to play the whole over again "
Is that something you'd really call "forced replay value" though?  Seems like an odd thing to call it.
Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MasturbatingBear

i thought it's ok. I added symphony of the night to it. Then I just realized thats not forced... now I realize why you think it should be deleted. Well I guess i only got 1 point from it...      

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamjohn

I'm siding with deletion.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

Actually, to bring up another example, Eternal Darkness had three endings, the "true" ending of which required you to play through the game three full times.  There's nothing that says I'm forced to actually play any further once I get the first ending, though.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trophyhunter
@Hailinel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
no to get the first and only ending in the game you have to play the whole over again "
Is that something you'd really call "forced replay value" though?  Seems like an odd thing to call it. "
they are artificially lengthening the game by forcing you to play through it twice, and it's not like "hey you beat it, play again to see the real ending"
level 1 is also level10 (or whatever the right number is) they also show you on a map your here at the end then there's a line that goes back to the beginning
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter
@Hailinel said:
" Actually, to bring up another example, Eternal Darkness had three endings, the "true" ending of which required you to play through the game three full times.  There's nothing that says I'm forced to actually play any further once I get the first ending, though. "
yes yes multiple endings are not forced replay value
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@trophyhunter said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
Is that something you'd really call "forced replay value" though?  Seems like an odd thing to call it. "
they are artificially lengthening the game by forcing you to play through it twice, and it's not like "hey you beat it, play again to see the real ending" level 1 is also level10 (or whatever the right number is) they also show you on a map your here at the end then there's a line that goes back to the beginning "
That's not artificial replay value.  That's just a case of a game making you play through levels you've already played through before.  I mean, didn't Devil May Cry 4 basically make you do the same thing?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By trophyhunter
@Hailinel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
they are artificially lengthening the game by forcing you to play through it twice, and it's not like "hey you beat it, play again to see the real ending" level 1 is also level10 (or whatever the right number is) they also show you on a map your here at the end then there's a line that goes back to the beginning "
That's not artificial replay value.  That's just a case of a game making you play through levels you've already played through before.  I mean, didn't Devil May Cry 4 basically make you do the same thing? "
ok fine I give up
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Hailinel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
Yeah I agree I think it should be called something else.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @trophyhunter said:
Yeah I agree I think it should be called something else. "
In this case, I'd say fake ending would fit.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

A page should never express personal opinion on a game. The fact of a game having a forced replay value or not may be relative, therefore this page must go.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By zitosilva

Actually, I think the example of Ghouls and Ghosts is perfect for showing that this is a concrete concept. It's not really optional, and you don't replay the game to get anything extra.

When you finish all the levels in the map and get through the last stage, the game says something like "not, this wasn't real. Now it starts", and put you back in the first stage again. It's different from the Devil May Cry 4 as it's not done from a different perspective. To get to the ending (not 'true ending', just ending, plain and simple) you HAVE to replay the entire game again. It's a terrible decision, just to make it seem longer, but calling it 'Forced Replay' seems perfect. If something has to change, I'd say take away the 'value'. Usually we say that as something positive, a game that entices you to play again. In this case, it forces you in doing so just to see the end.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's not a great page anyway so yeah delete this. I find the term "forced" a bit strange as well when used in conjunction with "replay value". Seems off.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By jakob187

Vagrant Story has forced replay value, as you have to beat the game three times in order to get 100% map completion.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night also has forced replay value, as you have to play through it once in order to unlock the upside-down castle, then play through that...and THEN you've fully completed the game.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iamjohn
@jakob187 said:
" Vagrant Story has forced replay value, as you have to beat the game three times in order to get 100% map completion.  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night also has forced replay value, as you have to play through it once in order to unlock the upside-down castle, then play through that...and THEN you've fully completed the game. "
Symphony of the Night changes up the upside-down castle, though, in terms of enemy layout and new bosses/secrets, so that's hardly being forced to play through the same thing twice, not to mention that you don't need to play the inverted castle to beat the game (just to get the best ending).  Likewise, you don't need to get 100% in Vagrant Story to beat the game.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By jakob187
@iAmJohn: In order to see all the content available to truly beat each game, yes you do.  Otherwise, they could've included all of that content in your first overall playthrough.  They did not.  Therefore, despite the fact that you have "beaten" the game...you still have not BEATEN the game. 

Yes, it is all subjective ideals, but in the end, that is forced replay value. 

However, the way that it is described on the page itself, it is nothing like the definition I am using at all.  It sounds more like this page was made out of a personal grudge with portions in three specific games rather than as a necessary concept.
NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By NinjaHunter

To me this concept has more to do with things like shoot'em ups where technically the game is like 1 hour long but just really difficult which makes the game feel longer because you're forced to restart the game after you lose all your lives. So I can kind of see the reason for it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hailinel
@jakob187 said:
" @iAmJohn: In order to see all the content available to truly beat each game, yes you do.  Otherwise, they could've included all of that content in your first overall playthrough.  They did not.  Therefore, despite the fact that you have "beaten" the game...you still have not BEATEN the game.  Yes, it is all subjective ideals, but in the end, that is forced replay value.  However, the way that it is described on the page itself, it is nothing like the definition I am using at all.  It sounds more like this page was made out of a personal grudge with portions in three specific games rather than as a necessary concept. "
I'm not even sure how Pain of all games qualifies under any definition.
NuclearWinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By NuclearWinter  Moderator

I'm stepping in here to give this concept a "check one" for deletion, it's subjective and I'm yet to see a compelling reason for having it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Hamz
@NuclearWinter said:
" I'm stepping in here to give this concept a "check one" for deletion, it's subjective and I'm yet to see a compelling reason for having it. "
Agreed, check two!