Does GB have a backup of wiki entries?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

I was wondering if GiantBomb had a backup of all the wiki edits that have happened.

The reason I'm asking this is because right now GB is a rather small site. But eventually assholes will start to come here as well (there already are a couple). And some of them could just remove all the wiki edits the members here have made. Getting a 1000 points really isn't that hard. You just gotta upload a bunch of pictures. And then you can do live edits. I mean I really hope that this doesn't ever happen but there is a chance that this could happen. What's GB gonna do then?

Then again everyone here making wiki edits could have their own backup of all the edits they have made.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By dbz1995

I know I do not have a backup of the posts I made. And its a good and scary point you just made there, duder.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

I hope so. Considering all the work people put in this site I really wouldn't like that at all if it got lost somehow.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

I hope.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can only hope they do

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rallier

It's broken. Has been for a while now.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By clubsandwich

I hope so.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

Would we even notice if the less accessed pages were vandalized? If, say, the Crystal Beans from Dungeon Explorer page just so happened to be defiled, I doubt anyone would know or care, unless there are some kind of wikitools I don't know about.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By KamasamaK

Despite removing wiki history, I assume they're still keeping track of the changes. Hopefully the wiki history is added back soon. I also seem to recall moderators having the ability to revert, though that may be dependent on the existence of wiki history.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier
@extremeradical said:
" Would we even notice if the less accessed pages were vandalized? If, say, the Crystal Beans from Dungeon Explorer page just so happened to be defiled, I doubt anyone would know or care, unless there are some kind of wikitools I don't know about. "
No you would not. 

Giant Bomb had a wiki history system that was put in place some time ago to prevent those sort of thing from happening and aid the wiki mods to catch people who vandalise pages but some sort of problem occurred and the staff removed it completely. 

What happened? I don't know. Are the wikimods pleased with this situation? I highly doubt it.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

On the other hand, they surely must have because some duder just deleted stuff on wiki entries, and pasted stuff from Wikipedia.

At least, thats what I gather.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Not_Rage

They added the wiki history system, but they removed it because it was causing some problems. Hopefully they'll re-add the feature soon, and im sure their keeping track of all the submission.

But yea someone could just delete everything right now and we won't be able to do anything about it until the history system gets re-added

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

The wiki history feature was kind of fucked up to begin with. Any i2i changes would prevent you from seeing the changed that were made in that time period. Even changes completely unrelated to i2i, such as text edits. So even though all changes are logged, a clever vandal take advantage of i2i to prevent you from seeing how it used to look.

The edit history is a totally busted feature that should have been been functional at launch. It was not available at launch, nor was it functional.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru

As far as I know they were working on a rollback system a while back, I haven't heard whether it's been implemented or not yet.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

I hope so because my Resident Evil pages got fucked a while back and considering the effort I put in there, it'd be nice to see them back on form. Though, I think I went back and edited them all myself a few months ago so the only thing now is for the points to reflect that I did everything on there and didn't just copy and paste from Wikipedia over the top thus getting myself 900+ points. I'm not bitter.