I don't get it...

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By packfan104l4

So someone that basically cuts and pastes a ton of info from a dev's site and makes it look pretty can get their stuff approved in like 3 hours, but I go and try to add a well written payment info guide for a lesser known MMORPG to the same page and it gets rejected after 3 days even though the info isn't on the page.  Starting to lose faith in the Bomb....

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

The crew needs a weekend. Overworked, ya know?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Termite

Yeah there is some funky stuff going on with the submissions but you just gotta stay calm. You did save your work in like a txt file didn't ya?

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By packfan104l4
Termite said:
"Yeah there is some funky stuff going on with the submissions but you just gotta stay calm. You did save your work in like a txt file didn't ya?
"
Yea, but that's not the point.  Hell, I'll start copying and pasting stuff if that's what they're really looking for.
Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Emiel

I added a character 5 days ago, was rejected because 3 hours ago someone else created him already. Giant Bomb is flopping in this regard. They have to fix this somehow.

lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lolwot

deleted

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emiel

It's messed up that submissions aren't looked at using FIFO (first in first out). Randomly checking isn't fair to people who were first with a certain submission. 

Avatar image for ice_cold_rayman
Ice_Cold_Rayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Ice_Cold_Rayman

I've got at least 20 submissions that haven't been checked. And I imagine i'll have some rejected, because things that weren't up there at the time of my submission are now up. But you've gotta remember that if everyone is submitting things, even 1 per day per person, that's over 10,000 submissions. Some people don't submit that many, some people are fanatical editors. Point being, the small group that are working now are hard-pressed to check everything in 24 hours. It'd be nice, but they have lives, same as us.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By twenty0ne
Emiel said:
"I added a character 5 days ago, was rejected because 3 hours ago someone else created him already. Giant Bomb is flopping in this regard. They have to fix this somehow.
"
Same thing here.

And the mod's comment was "make sure you check the database before you create another character."

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Emiel
twenty0ne said:
"Emiel said:
"I added a character 5 days ago, was rejected because 3 hours ago someone else created him already. Giant Bomb is flopping in this regard. They have to fix this somehow.
"
Same thing here.

And the mod's comment was "make sure you check the database before you create another character."

"
Yup. WHat they should check is which submission was entered first.
callik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By callik

It's just the launch crunch with people submitting stuff quicker than they can mod it. It is the beta so these are issues they can address for when they get to full launch.

Do find some thing questionable though. The second edit I made was some stuff copy/pasted  from wikipedia for Madden 09 on new features, before they came out and officially stated no wiki or copy/paste stuff. That got rejected promptly before the submission bomb and fair to them they prefer original content. So I go and check out Madden 09 again to write something else about it and low and behold there's the exact copy/pasted section verbatum from wikipedia approved through someone else.

Not complaining but there's some inconsistency going on here, was my mistake admitting I'd copied it from Wiki? =P

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By twenty0ne
Emiel said:
"twenty0ne said:
"Emiel said:
"
Same thing here.

"
Yup. WHat they should check is which submission was entered first."
It's extremely frustrating, because I put a bunch of time into making characters that didn't already exist, and all of them have gotten rejected because they checked someone else's submission before mine. Even though I submitted it when the site first opened...
Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Emiel
Callik said:
"It's just the launch crunch with people submitting stuff quicker than they can mod it. It is the beta so these are issues they can address for when they get to full launch.

Do find some thing questionable though. The second edit I made was some stuff copy/pasted  from wikipedia for Madden 09 on new features, before they came out and officially stated no wiki or copy/paste stuff. That got rejected promptly before the submission bomb and fair to them they prefer original content. So I go and check out Madden 09 again to write something else about it and low and behold there's the exact copy/pasted section verbatum from wikipedia approved through someone else.

Not complaining but there's some inconsistency going on here, was my mistake admitting I'd copied it from Wiki? =P
"
That is weird, indeed. But you can't expect the staff to check every article on plagiarism.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Lies

Emiel said:

"It's messed up that submissions aren't looked at using FIFO (first in first out). Randomly checking isn't fair to people who were first with a certain submission. "
Things are looked at FIFO, I can tell you that much for sure.

The problem is users with 1,000 points get their edits instantly approved,which means they can fill in the article you wrote while your submission is still pending, and they'll get theirs approved first. And in some cases, you were just beat to the article, and someone's submission on Sniper rifles has been pending longer than yours. It's just launch shenanigans at the moment.
Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Emiel
Lies said:
Emiel said:
"It's messed up that submissions aren't looked at using FIFO (first in first out). Randomly checking isn't fair to people who were first with a certain submission. "

The problem is users with 1,000 points get their edits instantly approved,which means they can fill in the article you wrote while your submission is still pending, and they'll get theirs approved first. And in some cases, you were just beat to the article, and someone's submission on Sniper rifles has been pending longer than yours. It's just launch shenanigans at the moment.
"
THen how come a lot of people have certain submissions approved while older submissions are still pending? It seems that the subs are looked at randomly. 
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turtlemayor333

Yeah, I'm still starting out slowly. I did a couple of paragraphs for Luigi's Mansion and Mickey's Magical Quest, and if those get accepted, I'll move on to more extensive writeups.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NinjaMunkey

I have just done one thing, vehicles for warhawk, so no one else do it as if its better it wont go through! Its my first one but I think its ok, though i would like to see others improve on it.

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Emiel

Finally 1 submission got approved. The rest (including subs I submitted earlier) are still pending. Weird stuff.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brad
Lies said:
Emiel said:

"
This is an accurate appraisal of the situation. We apologize for overwrites and long wait times, but we're going as fast as we can right now. More moderators and community approval tools will put this issue to rest soon. (The new crowd image tool is the first example of the latter.)

For now, please make sure you save your work in a separate file; in case it's denied or overwritten erroneously, you'll be able to easily add it back in. We appreciate your hard work and would like it to get the recognition it deserves.
bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By bertmasta

i think we should be able to view the queue somehow so we know not to update a page with info, when  somebody else already in the queue has edited it if you get what i mean

CrazyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrazyGamer

I am also a little disappointed with the submission process. It should really be a FIFO queue. I have some edited text that has been waiting for longer than an image I submitted late last night. In my opinion, the edited text is much more important than a simple image. I hope GB sorts out through these problems.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Aaron_G

I know I am getting the same thing happening to me. 

CrazyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CrazyGamer

When you get rejected for a post does it actually say rejected in the pending subs section or does it remain pending? I have a few posts as pending (None rejected) and I'm not sure if they are pending or rejected.

GiantGUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By GiantGUS

I have many edits from days ago that are pending a a few from TODAY that have been aproved, HOW IS THAT FIFO????

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Emiel
GiantGUS said:
"

I have many edits from days ago that are pending a a few from TODAY that have been aproved, HOW IS THAT FIFO????

"
Same here
lolwot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lolwot

deleted

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Emiel
lolwot said:
"Is there any way for us to recover text from our rejected submissions? My Midna submission from 3 days ago with a good blurb was rejected in favor with one that doesn't have a blurb at all. I'd like to edit in my information, but I didn't save it.
"
RIght now, there's not. It's best to save long text in a word .doc or something.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Absurd
Emiel said:
"
how do you know you submitted it first?
sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#29  Edited By sarahsdad

Maybe this has been posted elsewhere, but I wanted to chime in that Bertmasta has a great idea; I'd like to see a list of what's pending for a page. I probably won't ever be seen writing a big write up for things, but you know I don't want to make edits for a bunch of characters in a game if I think someone else put them in an hour ahead of me.

namster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By namster

well there's no doubt some inconsistency in the moderation right now
its better to stick to the easy stuff until you get live edit power like i did

btw if you really want it up now
PM me and ill post it up for you and credit you for it in the article

Emiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Emiel
Absurd said:
"Emiel said:
"
how do you know you submitted it first?
"
The dude who created it wasn't a member when I created the sub.