Image Work Tool (or whatever you call it) Pondering.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ignor

Recently, when I added an image to a forum post, I noticed a difference between the image work tool for the wiki and the one that's being used on the forums.

See, when I try to upload an image to a wiki page I get this:

No Caption Provided
Why is the 'Gallery Set' button omitted? Is there a reason for it?

When I do the same on the forums, I get this instead:
No Caption Provided
This one has the 'Gallery Set' button, which is nice but not entirely functional because AFAIK, 
I have to upload the whole gallery, instead of simply choosing one of the images within.
This makes it impossible for me to keep track of all my images and prevent re-uploading of already uploaded images. 'Search the Site' can be a hassle too, as some games are impossible to find due to limited search results.

Then there's:
Random images being removed from their galleries. I have seen a lot of pages where the default image is absent from the main image gallery.
Most of the time, the default image remains unchanged, but when someone do change it, the previous image will be lost in whichever user who uploaded the image in the first place's gallery.

My point is: Being able to sort images into galleries and pick the image I want from a certain gallery would be really nifty. Perhaps in the future....
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Snail

I can't say I've ever noticed your second complaint, but eh first one certainly is a drag, and looks like it could be easily fixed.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

Is there a need to dump a whole gallery directly into a wiki page? They have their own dedicated image galleries where people can go if they want to see images.

Edit: Oh, I see you're uploading into the gallery. In that case it's simply impossible. The Gallery Set button doesn't work the way you think it does. It only works for putting images in posts, not galleries. The two are completely different. 

I wish there was a feature like that though. Too often I see people putting images into a "<platform> Screenshots" gallery but not the main "Screenshots" gallery, which is a real pain to fix. And if I don't see it, it may never even get fixed.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ignor

As things are now, there's really no point in organizing (profile) images.
And if the unthinkable happens and somebody delete your images for no good reason, it's nigh impossible to recover them.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#5  Edited By Marino  Staff

Yeah, it's definitely a problem.  If I want to add a picture I know I've already uploaded to the site to a new page, there's no easy way to search through 800 pages of pictures I have to find where it is.  I have my stuff pretty well organized in my profile, but as Ignor stated, there's no way to use these folders with the image adding tool.

Ignor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ignor

Here's an example of my second complaint:
On the gold page, look at the default image. It does not exist in the  image gallery.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

Before the redesign default images were never actually in the gallery. Most people would never notice unless they changed the default image, causing the original default to drop from the gallery. I would manually add them myself by editing and resaving without any changes, which worked.
When the site was redesigned they finally made it so that the default image was added to the gallery. But there were two problems with that:
a) In order to set a default image at creation the "admin" account needs to add it to the gallery, causing admin to be credited and creating confusion. Some people seem to think admin is an actual administrator, which isn't exactly true. Staff will occasionally use the account for testing purposes, but that's very rare.
b) Existing images that were never part of the gallery are dropped, and can only be re-added by someone who has access to a gallery with that image in it already. This is obviously the more significant problem, because images that used to appear in the gallery aren't there any more. If I knew they were going to fuck it up like this, I would have asked some other users to help make sure every default image for every wiki page was actually in the gallery.

Additional note on point a that has no real significance to this discussion: I tend to work around the "admin" issue by creating the page without an image and then adding the image after creation. I still get my three points as I would if I added it at creation time, and the bot account doesn't receive any undeserved attribution.