New Platforms/Splitting Old Platforms

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

OK, I've been giving this some thought, and I wanted to bounce it off of you guys before we make any changes. 

The rolled-up platforms we're using for downloadable games are starting to get a little weird. 

"Xbox Live Marketplace" is currently handling the following things: 

Xbox Classics 
Xbox 360 Games on Demand 
Xbox Live Arcade 
Xbox 360 Indie Games 
Xbox 360 Game Room 

PlayStation Network is currently handling... 

Downloadable PSP Games (retail)  
PSP Minis 
Downloadable PSP Games (download-only)
Downloadable PS3 Games (download-only) 
Downloadable PS1 Games 
Downloadable PS3 Games (retail, currently only Burnout Paradise, I think) 

And the Wii Shop platform currently handles Virtual Console and WiiWare releases. This is probably the only one that still seems OK. 

I'm thinking that it might be time to split some of these things out into their own platforms. Specifically, PSN needs to be split into a PSN (PSP) and PSN (PS3) at the bare minimum, since some games, like echochrome, appear on both platforms as downloads. And with Game Room getting seven new games a week once it launches, the XBLM platform is just going to get weird fast. 

Here's my first crack at splitting them up. 

Xbox Live Marketplace turns into Xbox Live Arcade. 
Add Xbox 360 Indie Games. 
Add Xbox 360 Game Room. 
Add Xbox 360 Games on Demand (covers both 360 and Xbox 1 releases) 

PlayStation Network turns into PlayStation Network (PS3) 
Add PlayStation Network (PSP) 
PS1 releases would be tagged with both of these platforms. 
PSP Minis that are playable on both platforms would also be tagged with both platforms. 

Any of this make sense? Anyone got any ideas about better ways to split this stuff up? 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

This isn't a democracy, just do it! Looks good to me, just make sure the community knows about it. You don't want to make the Wiki Mods mad.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Time_Lord

looks good

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By erinfizz
@Jeff: 

This makes my brain hurt. I think my hangup with it is the definition of 'platform.' I tend to think of it as the physical thing you are playing a game on, so I am totally with you on splitting up the PlayStation Network platforms. I think the Xbox stuff makes sense in an organizational way, but all of that is still played on the same machine. If I think about platform as a delivery system, this all seems just fine, but it makes me want to argue about Steam/Impulse/etc.etc. as platforms, which will just make me sound nuts and make you grr. I know, helpful. 

Also, something I meant to bring up before...should DSi be a platform? There's only a very few DSi only games, but it seems like it would be.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sopranosfan

makes sense to me.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Emandudeguyperson
@sopranosfan said:
" makes sense to me. "
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

It looks pretty daunting but it seems to make enough sense to me. I couldn't simplify it any more myself anyway.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

It does look like it will keep things a little more organized.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By fripplebubby

Navigating through thousands of menus on XBLA to find what I want really enhances the experience for me. What can I say? The more time spent in menus looking for a game that is under some strange, strange category is more time spent not playing Halo. Which if there was a pie chart of my Xbox usage, the Halo part would be waaaay to big. 

Menus FTW baby!

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Drebin_893

Things may be rocky at the beginning, but I think once everyone fully comprehends what each category and sub-category means, it will make the wiki exponentially better.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MeierTheRed
@JJOR64 said:
" It does look like it will keep things a little more organized. "
I agree, that is how it seems.
ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12  Edited By ki11tank

I agree something can be done to improve organization amongst downloadable games.  Just be sure to start small at first and add deeper categorization later if warranted and you can't go wrong.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HypoXenophobia
@Jeff said:

Downloadable PS3 Games (retail, currently only Burnout Paradise, I think)  

There is Warhawk, and Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty was available on disk outside the US. Also, Gran Turismo Prologue.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

I agree with splitting the PS3 and PSP PSN parts for sure. And I could see it getting confusing once the 360 Game Room starts getting populated with games.

While I got a little confused reading what all possible PSN game configurations existed, I easily followed the final rundown. And of course with this, if the PS3 does eventually come up with the ability to play full PSP games, each of those would have to be tagged with PS3 as well.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Not_Rage

I agree with all theses ideas. The PSN platform is the one that definably needed to get changed. The PSP and PS3 are two completely different consoles!! I was bummed when a moderator declined this idea before, I thought it would never happen!  

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spacetrucking
@Jeff: 

Add Xbox 360 Game Room. 

From what I understand, Game Room is going to be cross platform or at least the games you buy will be available on both PC and Xbox 360. Maybe just "Game Room" would be more appropriate ? 

I like the idea of splitting stuff based on their distribution model but then shouldn't the PC side have Steam and Games on Demand as well ? I think if we have reached a stage where we are ready to recognize XBLM and PSN as "platforms", then we should definitely recognize Steam. Plus it would serve the purpose of letting people know where/how can they get a particular game. The concept sections of most games are so cluttered that it's nearly impossible to find things like Steam/Virtual Console in there. 

PS: I know this is all a slippery slope with things like D2D and gog.com on the PC but Steam with it's own client & large library is quite unique.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By jeff

The goals in doing this sort of thing are... 

- Make the list of games on a given platform make sense. Xbox Live Marketplace is already cluttered with all of the Indie Games. Once Game Room hits, that list is going to get seven new old-ass games per week. Someone going to that platform page and looking through the list of games probably wouldn't find that list to be useful. 

- Releases can be more specific about how a game was released in each territory. Some games get discs in Japan and nothing over here, like Patapon 2. Granted, we can already do that with the current setup, but this would let us get more granular, which is handy when dealing with multiple territories.

I'd be really hesitant about adding any PC digital download services as platforms because there are a ton of them, and it'd be unfair to add Steam without then adding the eight trillion other services out there. Where does that end? Do we suddenly need "EA.com Store" as a platform? Waaaay too crazy. Plus, there aren't many meaningful differences between the different digital versions of a game.

Also, yes, we should probably add DSi as a platform, which would be added to DS and DSiWare. But let's wait until there's a meaningful number of DSi-only releases first. Making that change would probably confuse a lot of people and lead to people tagging every single DS game as both DS and DSi. Typically, the wiki entry for a DSi-only game should make that requirement clear up-front. 

OK, all this is making my head hurt. Back to listening to loud music and cleaning up the house in preparation for guests!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

As someone with a tonne of experience doing stuff on the GB wiki, all these changes seem like they would be great, and make it easier to classify and keep track of these games. BUT it would make it much more daunting for newer users. There are already people who get slightly confused that we have PSN and Xbox Live Marketplace as separate platforms from PS3/PSP and 360. Adding more platforms to each console would cause more confusion and make things even more complicated for people new to the site.

I know that when people ask for improvements to site features, Dave often talks about the fine line between providing more complex and in-depth features for the existing users, and keeping it simple for new guys to the site. This is a very similar situation. While better classifications for XBLM and PSN games would definitely be more useful to existing experienced users, but would it alienate newer users by making things more complicated for them?

And one final point - do we really need it? It is already possible to find a list of all the Xbox Indie Games by visiting the XNA concept, all the Games on Demand games by visiting the Games on Demand concept. Experienced users can already find these more in-depth classifications of games, and then if they want a big list of all the games available for download on the Xbox 360, they can find that too. So I'm not sure we really need it.

PlayGamesPaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By PlayGamesPaddy

Maybe it would be cool if Xbox Classics and Xbox 360 Games on Demand still remain separate. My reason for this is Xbox Classics can be 
purchased with microsoft points and have no achievements. 

The PS3 split is a great way to divide the games.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By erinfizz
@MattyFTM: This makes sense too. Bah. I will say though, that continuing with the "is this user friendly" train of thought....I find concepts nigh impenetrable, and I know my way around here pretty well. there's just so much...enemy types, game types, silliness, technical info....it's kind of overwhelming. 

Otherwise, I can live with "Platform as organizational entity." 
Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hrmmm this is very interesting, but you know what, I say do it.  New users shouldn't feel too alienated, and like Jeff has already stated with the Xbox Game Room coming, the XBLA page is going to become way to overcrowded with titles. 

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By mracoon

I still would prefer a Steam platform. I think there's enough Steam-only releases for it to warrant it being a it's own platform. As for the problem of there being lots of different digital distribution platforms on PC, Steam is by far the largest and most comprehensive of them all and I think the only other download store that comes close is Impulse. Just because you add Steam doesn't mean you have to add every other one.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rallier
@erinfizz said:

"   Also, something I meant to bring up before...should DSi be a platform? There's only a very few DSi only games, but it seems like it would be. "

Right now they are under a concept but a platform page would make sense 
 http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-dsi-exclusive-cartridge-games/92-3774/

Splitting up Virtual Console and Wiiware would clean a lot up however it is not all that necessary. There are concepts for the Virtual Console and Wiiware that are used to classify the games now. 

Splitting up PSN for the PSP and PS3 is would be quite welcome. 

You guys should make a faq describing what game would go in what platform though to avoid confusion.

@MattyFTM said:
"And one final point - do we really need it? It is already possible to find a list of all the Xbox Indie Games by visiting the XNA concept, all the Games on Demand games by visiting the Games on Demand concept. Experienced users can already find these more in-depth classifications of games, and then if they want a big list of all the games available for download on the Xbox 360, they can find that too. So I'm not sure we really need it. "
Good point there but right now what i've experienced is that that people do not always add the concept to the games when it is say XNA or Games on Demand, It happens quite often with Wiiware games to.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Not_Rage

An Indie game and a regular Marketplace game is a big difference that needs to be noticeably pointed out. There is a concept page for XNA games but its very much hidden.

drwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By drwhat

I think both
a) this makes sense the way you proposed it
and
b) despite the fact that it would be conceptually nice to have a bright clear definition of what is a Platform, I agree that adding Steam would mean you should probably add all the other ones, and oh god that would be horrible.

If it gets necessary, though, you could always add a "Distributors" category, and people could add Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, Steam, EA.com, as necessary etc.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By KamasamaK

I've found it weird that distribution platforms are mixed with the platforms on which the games were made to run. It seems reasonable that distribution could be handled in a concept. However, if that's not going to change, then it looks like a good idea. At the very least, PS3 PSN and PSP PSN should be split.

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deadly_polo

Sounds good, but I think there needs to be clear instruction as to which 'platform' a game goes into, especially when things are released on different services in different regions (e.g. Patapon 2)

Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pandasaurus

"PlayStation Network turns into PlayStation Network (PS3) 
Add PlayStation Network (PSP)  "  

In terms of navigating the different platforms i would find it easier if "PlayStation Network (PS3)" remained as just PlayStation Network and then "PlayStation Network (PSP)" was renamed as "PlayStation Portable Network" 

or maybe I should email Sony about that?

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zabant
@Pandasaurus: That does make sense as it would cover any future handheld hardware from sony.

However i dont feel it would be right calling it that when its not the official name sony has given the network on PSP.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Hamz

Just going to pop my opinions in here, hopefully they help in some way, if only for discussion's sake.

Add Xbox 360 Game Room. 

That seems like a lot of platform pages for 360 content that I think personally could be summed up under two major pages rather than split between four. Essentially keep XBLM for games on demand which covers 360 and Xbox 1 titles and separate Arcade titles into their own XBLA page. As for Indie titles I'd say they fit more under XBLA than XBLM but ultimately they could go under either page, it really comes down to staff preference there. I'd suggest adding Indie titles too whichever of the two platform pages below feel less cluttered.

Xbox Live Marketplace
+ Games on Demand titles (360 & older)
+/- Indie titles

Add Xbox Live Arcade
+ Arcade titles
+/- Indie titles

Microsoft's Game Room does indeed deserve its own page. But not one titled Xbox 360 specific. Game Room will be coming to both the 360 and PC this year, the latter of which will receive Game Room via the Games for Windows - Live client. So ultimately the page name needs to represent the fact this is a feature or service not just available to 360 owners but to PC players as well. The best name I can think of is the one below, but perhaps just "Game Room" would do on its own, up for debate I suppose :)

Add Microsoft Game Room
+ Game Room titles (360 & PC) 

I'd be really hesitant about adding any PC digital download services as platforms because there are a ton of them, and it'd be unfair to add Steam without then adding the eight trillion other services out there. Where does that end? Do we suddenly need "EA.com Store" as a platform? Waaaay too crazy. Plus, there aren't many meaningful differences between the different digital versions of a game. 

I fully support and respect that decision, while I think it is safe to say everyone can agree Steam is to PC gaming what PSN and Xbox Live are to their respective consoles. Adding it as a platform to the database seems a little questionable. Other than the odd Eastern Block game I don't think Steam sells anything that can't be purchased from one or more of its competitors in the digital delivery system market. There just isn't enough unique to Steam and the titles it sells to make me support the idea of it having a platform page in the database.

PlayStation Network turns into PlayStation Network (PS3) 
Add PlayStation Network (PSP) 
PS1 releases would be tagged with both of these platforms. 
PSP Minis that are playable on both platforms would also be tagged with both platforms.

Yeah this is something that is needed. Although do we want to call the page names "PlayStation Network (PS3/PSP)" or would "PlayStation 3 Network" and "PlayStation Portable Network" be a better alternative? Either way I agree splitting these into two separate pages has much more benefit to everyone than keeping their information piled into a single page which is slowly becoming extremely confusing to navigate and find information on titles.  

Hopefully this provides a little discussion worthy content for folks to consider!
Pandasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pandasaurus
@Zabant:  yea I know- but a man can dream!
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#33  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I refused to do anything involving PSP minis and other PSP downloadable titles because I didn't want to be one to create confusion. :D
Are you guys going to have someone go through all the games and re-categorize them, or are you just going to leave it all to us? There's so much to change that I'm not sure you can rely on us to do it all. I've done a crapload of menial tasks on the site, but I don't think I'm going to be able to go through all the Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN games to make sure the platform listings are absolutely correct.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Not_Rage
@LordAndrew said:

" Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I refused to do anything involving PSP minis and other PSP downloadable titles because I didn't want to be one to create confusion. :D Are you guys going to have someone go through all the games and re-categorize them, or are you just going to leave it all to us? There's so much to change that I'm not sure you can rely on us to do it all. I've done a crapload of menial tasks on the site, but I don't think I'm going to be able to go through all the Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN games to make sure the platform listings are absolutely correct. "

I don't think i'll be that bad
KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By KingBroly

I don't see the point in adding Games on Demand.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#36  Edited By JackiJinx
@MattyFTM said:
" As someone with a tonne of experience doing stuff on the GB wiki, all these changes seem like they would be great, and make it easier to classify and keep track of these games. BUT it would make it much more daunting for newer users. There are already people who get slightly confused that we have PSN and Xbox Live Marketplace as separate platforms from PS3/PSP and 360. Adding more platforms to each console would cause more confusion and make things even more complicated for people new to the site. "
Sorry to bring up this older topic, but I feel that there's a viable solution to this specific problem of user friendliness so that users would minimize mis-categorizing games. 

When searching for a platform, have that be the alias of the subcategories so that they show up in the results as well. For example, say I input Xbox 360 in the search for platforms to tag an XBLA game like Braid or an Indie Game like Johnny Platform's Biscuit Romp. Not only would Xbox 360 be a result, but XBLA, Indie Games, Game Room, and Xbox Originals, too. That way, there's less of a need to re-categorize items because users will see that there are subcategories available. Ideally though, to make it so users don't think it's ok to add Braid to both Xbox 360 and XBLA, XBLA would be better labeled as a subcategory instead of an alias. 
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I am bumping this up because I feel like it is something that still needs to be discussed, and I was also curious about whether there are any plans to implement the Xbox 360/Game Room categories currently. I feel like Xbox Live Marketplace is far too broad a term!

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WickedCobra03

Yeah, at this point it would be a good idea to maybe separate them, but I am not sure how you would do this, but make a button or checkbox type thing that will aggregate them back into one united platform.  

Or better yet, keep them aggregated and then let the user filter out / in what they want included in their results(since the people who are probably going to want to separate them anyways is probably more of a power user).

Does that make sense?  I don't know how to explain it well without almost drawing it out or something on a piece of paper.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Karl_Boss

Your changes look good to me.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By swamplord666
@Jeff: That seems pretty logical to me ALTHOUGH I would vouch for originals (PS1, Xbox, Gameroom and VC) be tagged for their appropriate original platform as well as PSN, XBLA and VC.