"Original US Release" use

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By rallier

Games are sorted using the date filled in this section of the wiki which messes up lists when a game is not released in the US or when it is released years before in another territory. Now quite some wiki editors are simply filling in the original release and not the original US release since that way the lists do not get messed up which makes more sense. 

The best solution would be that games are sorted using the earliest release in the release section and remove the "original US release" section of the wiki completely but untill then would it not be better if the "US" part of "original US release" be deleted?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

But then games that were released in North America later would have to have their release date changed to the "original release". And that's a lot of games. Rather than bringing it in line with how people are currently using it, changing the label in that way would change its meaning in a way that actually moves it further away from the way it's currently used.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rallier

Even thinking about the number of game pages that would have to be corrected if they would change the name of that section is terrifying but something has to be done about it. I wish they would have made that section auto-complete using the release data when the site launched. It puzzles me why that it even exists the way it works now.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

While mandatory on other sites, a lot of people still don't even know that it's possible to enter release data.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By tmthomsen

Just give us the ability to fill in release dates for more regions. Even though a majority of GB's users are American, it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge the rest of us.

http://www.quantcast.com/giantbomb.com

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rallier
@LordAndrew: Yeah... well i hope that the quest system will make people look into it now.

@TMThomsen: 49,8 percent, looks like the majority are non US users by a verry slight margin.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LordAndrew
@Rallier: I've seen comments that indicate that a lot of people don't even know how to access it though. Being a wiki, databasey stuff like releases are kind of hidden outside of reach for most people. Game pages on other sites require at least one release; this site requires none. Some people don't even realize they have to come back and add more info after the initial game submission. Releases really need to be more easily accessible before forcing them to be used for the release date.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA

I think it's fine now. Just leave the Original US Release empty if it hasn't been released in the US. Even though a lot of people don't typically fill out release information, it isn't really as big of an issue as other things (such as the large amount of pages that still have to be deleted).

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Not_Rage

For  games not released in the U.S., some people still put this date in U.S. release field. I think this is a bad idea since it causes confusion.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK
@LordAndrew:  There are two links to the Releases subpage on every game page already. I guess if implemented, they could change the UI to expose it better, like putting the link on or around the Original US Release. But really, if someone wants to know how they'll find out either by looking or asking. If they're going to be editing the wiki, it would be nice if they were familiar with all the rules and such in the FAQ anyway. There are ways it could be done, and if someone finds new parts of the site in the process then that's good.

EDIT: "1st Game Credit" for Person pages could similarly be automatically filled.

EDIT2: Platforms could also be handled automatically from Releases. Possibly Developers/Publishers too if it's decided they should be assigned per release.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rallier
@LordAndrew said:
" @Rallier: I've seen comments that indicate that a lot of people don't even know how to access it though. Being a wiki, databasey stuff like releases are kind of hidden outside of reach for most people. Game pages on other sites require at least one release; this site requires none. Some people don't even realize they have to come back and add more info after the initial game submission. Releases really need to be more easily accessible before forcing them to be used for the release date. "
The answer to anything, yellow ^^

Something like this would at least make people notice it. When in edit mode it should say modify/add releases to make it even clearer.

Still there would be a lot of people who would not get that i guess. The staff needs to make a video of them making an entire wiki page explaining every thing and put a quest up for watching that video. Have an automated PM send to every new subscriber with a link to that vid, the site rules etc. I supppose that there are a lot of things that can be done to inform people of how the site works but only the staff has the tools to do that unfortunately. 

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By tmthomsen
@Rallier: Great mock-up.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Kazona

I don't understand why it says, "original US release," in the first place. Why not just use, "US release date?" The other release dates don't have the world original in front of it, so in my opinion it kind of gives the wrong impression; like the US release is somehow superior.