Request: Add "FMV" as a genre

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jubs

Would it be possible to add FMV as a genre?

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

it isnt though?....huh thats interesting, I would never even think to consider fmv to be a genre but im not sure by what criteria... It seems more like a tag to me. Like nudity, violence, anime, pixelart etc. But then again im not sure I could argue why I'd be right atm so I dunno :)

Im curious how the mods feel about it.

Jubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

FMV is more of a concept than a genre. There are so many genres of games that have used FMV from adventure games (which I assume is what you're mainly thinking of) to Command & Conquer to a whole slew of light-gun games.

I'd imagine that rugby games all share a lot of common gameplay mechanics, whereas games with FMV can contain any style of gameplay.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soviet Strike has FMV in it, but it's in the action genre.
On the other end of the spectrum Phantasmagoria is entirely FMV, but is an adventure game.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nah, not a fan of that idea. We have a concept page for FMV already and that does what you want it to do. If you say it's a genre suddenly the discussion pops up what a 'true' FMV game is. Does it have to be an adventure game where you're constantly reminded that real people are playing roles in the game, or is a FMV intro enough to make it into the genre. Is Red Alert a 'true FMV' game even if only 5% of the graphics contain it or does it have to be straight up Crime Patrol where all you can see is FMV? We're not even talking about the gameplay part of the games anymore!

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I also think FMV belongs more as a concept than a genre. There are just too many games with FMV of all genres.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

FMV is a graphical style IMO. Usually FMV games are of the adventure format, but there are also FMV lightgun games and such.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LeStephan

@rejizzle: theres even full fmv racing games and shmups xD And depending on how you want to look at it even ps1 final fantasies are full of fmv (if we are being pedantic full motion video doesnt even mean real people, its basically anything pre rendered, so technically any game with pre rendered cutscenes could be counted as having fmv xD. I know thats not what anyone is talking about when saying fmv anymore but....)

And thnx to everyone talking about "concept" thats the word I was looking for when saying "tag"

I also agree with what pretty much everyone here said. I was previously too tired to form a proper thought about it :')

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#10 Marino  Staff

I think it's pretty clear that FMV isn't a genre.

Thanks.