Some minor changes to the Wiki

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've been thinking about this for a while and I've wondering. Is it possible to have a content window on the Wiki pages so it's easier for people to browse them? To put in more simpler terms. Wikipedia has many, many informative articles. Some of them are so big that they have a content listing so it's easier to jump to a certain section of the page. For example the Pterodactyl page on Wikipedia is pretty expansive so they've implemented a content listing to make browsing more comfortable. Like so:

Contents
 Contents
We've got some pretty big pages on GiantBomb. The TES: Oblivion page that could really benefit from this. 
As well as a content list. PC Games. Instead of having someone manually insert the system requirements onto the page, do any of you guys think we should add a Minimum System requirements to the left panel of the page a la Wikipedia style? The ability to add an Engine that the game is using would also be nice. So what do you guys think or am I wasting my time?
 System Requirements
 System Requirements
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

We currently do engines using concepts. Much of the stuff that could be in the infobox is already there, usually hiding in a massive list of concepts or in the credits.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Huh, clicking the Contents picture up there refreshes the page.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
@rjayb89: Well, if you've seen a table of contents on a MediaWiki wiki, you can probably guess what it looks like. 
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eroticfishcake/all-images/52-137065/contentlist/51-1347566/  

The problem with implementing one is that none of the headings in articles have anchors. Without an anchor, you can't get to that section. MediaWiki generates these automatically from wikicode, but Wikid uses HTML. That means every single wiki page would have to be updated to add section IDs.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

Hmm. I thought as much though it'll be nice to have some input from the staff and see what they might be able to do. I was just throwing the idea out there. Along with a ton of other improvements that the wiki could do with.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

The problem with the first one is that it's nearly as minor as it looks. It would not work retroactively, instead requiring every article to be updated. Anything that require every article to be updated seems unlikely.