This concept should not exist

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

Concept: Cute Character

Putting an adjective next to the word "character" doesn't make a concept, if that were so then there would be a concept for each adjective. I say this is deleted!

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

I approve of it going, it is way too subjective

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Agreed that this should be deleted. This is all subjective anyway... Maybe I don't think Hello Kitty is cute at all! I know, behind that "cute" mask lies the real kitty...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Snail
brukaoru said:
"Maybe I don't think Hello Kitty is cute at all! I know, behind that "cute" mask lies the real kitty..."
EEP!
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

Please put the name of the concept you're referring to in your post title when making a delete request - it makes it easier to keep track of everything.

That being said, my opinion is that this concept isn't really hurting anything by being in the database.  Add characters if you want, if you don't think a character is cute enough to be included, remove it. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Snail
MB said:
"Please put the name of the concept you're referring to in your post title when making a delete request - it makes it easier to keep track of everything. "
Will do from now on.

MB said:
"That being said, my opinion is that this concept isn't really hurting anything by being in the database.  Add characters if you want, if you don't think a character is cute enough to be included, remove it. "
It is a silly excuse for point farmers, anyone can put this in any game and yet get all the points.
That being said why not a "Constantly angry character"? Or a "Relevantly beautiful female character"? There are too many concepts is all.. And this one is there too much.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mike

There have only been like 37 points or something gained from this page altogether, so I really don't see the validity in the whole "point whoring" argument that people tend to use when asking for pages to be deleted.  Anyway it's just my opinion, we'll have to wait for Jeff or someone to chime in and say whether it should go or not.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Snail
MB said:
"There have only been like 37 points or something gained from this page altogether, so I really don't see the validity in the whole "point whoring" argument that people tend to use when asking for pages to be deleted.  Anyway it's just my opinion, we'll have to wait for Jeff or someone to chime in and say whether it should go or not."
Sure, I just think that unnecessary concepts should be deleted, even though as you said it isn't hurting anything, it is unnecessary to the website and not relevant...
Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Gump

I think it's a valid concept that only should be attached in few characters and games in the database, but it's really unnecessary.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't think the page in question is point farming, but it could lead to point farming. E.g. if this is acceptable, then "Ugly Character" is acceptable, and so is "beautiful character" etc. We'll end up with thousands of "*Insert Adjective Here* Character" pages.

And also, it's far to subjective.Thiscould be cute to one person, and this could be cute to another. You can take it to even more extremes. You could in theory end up with every character on the site on that page and it wouldn't be wrong, because cuteness is subjective.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snail

And yet, the page is still there.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By I_smell

I also think it's too subjective. "Cute" isn't even a definative word.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By jakob187

I agree with it being subjective as well.  However, so are difficulty levels.  Should we delete that too?  I mean, you may think normal difficulty is fucking ridiculously hard, but I think that's extremely easy.  So...who is right?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snail
jakob187 said:
"I agree with it being subjective as well.  However, so are difficulty levels.  Should we delete that too?  I mean, you may think normal difficulty is fucking ridiculously hard, but I think that's extremely easy.  So...who is right?"
A game may have different difficulty levels, like easy, normal, hard, but then again, there should be a "optional difficulty level concept" not a "difficulty level", so I guess yeah, those should be deleted as well.
EDIT: And why the hell is Sonic Unleashed in this concept? we don't even know if we have a difficulty select option do we?
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lamegame621
Snail said:
"jakob187 said:
"I agree with it being subjective as well.  However, so are difficulty levels.  Should we delete that too?  I mean, you may think normal difficulty is fucking ridiculously hard, but I think that's extremely easy.  So...who is right?"
A game may have different difficulty levels, like easy, normal, hard, but then again, there should be a "optional difficulty level concept" not an "easy difficulty level", so I guess yeah , those should be deleted as well."
Let the point whores be whores. There are more important things.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snail
lamegame621 said:
"Let the point whores be whores. There are more important things."
No. The community is the essence of this website.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

I actually agree with Snail go onto the average game page and look at the concepts page, theres a hell of a lot of thing which really don't need to be there and it ends up with a lot of redundent things added to a game.  For example Gears 2 has AI, AI companions and AI bots, and that's without scrolling down!  There must be nearly a hundred concepts on that page and it just turns the page into a wall of concepts which just looks ugly to be honest.

Sorry bit of a tangent there but cute characters is a little lame, at that point why not add scary characters, ugly characters, tall characters, female characters, fast characters....  Removing this can only help reducing the wall of concepts that has gradually buit up
Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Psynapse

I agree, just imagine how Nico Bellic will feel when we add him to the 'Angry European Character', i'm sure that he wouldn't want to be put into such a stereotypical role...

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail
IncredibleBulk92 said:
"I actually agree with Snail"
Does this mean you usually don't agree with me? :(

IncredibleBulk92 said:
"I actually agree with Snail go onto the average game page and look at the concepts page, theres a hell of a lot of thing which really don't need to be there and it ends up with a lot of redundent things added to a game.  For example Gears 2 has AI, AI companions and AI bots, and that's without scrolling down!  There must be nearly a hundred concepts on that page and it just turns the page into a wall of concepts which just looks ugly to be honest.
Sorry bit of a tangent there but cute characters is a little lame, at that point why not add scary characters, ugly characters, tall characters, female characters, fast characters....  Removing this can only help reducing the wall of concepts that has gradually buit up"
I totally agree, but note:
"Removing this can only help reducing the wall of unnecessary concepts that has gradually buit up"
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snail

We're not getting any attention from the staff on this thread apparently... Should I PM someone?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

Staff comes by occasionally. Just wait for it.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok

CALL IT MOÉ!! LOLLLLLLLL

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Endogene
PureRok said:
"CALL IT MOÉ!! LOLLLLLLLL"
I will hunt you down if that happens.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PureRok
Endogene said:
"PureRok said:
"CALL IT MOÉ!! LOLLLLLLLL"
I will hunt you down if that happens."
Haha. Okay.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew

I'll moe you!

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
Snail said:
"Removing this can only help reducing the wall of unnecessary concepts that has gradually buit up"
"
Yes an excellent addition there.
Man I just looked through GTA 4's concepts and I got a little angry 2bh.  Disc Streaming, Loading Screens and Xbox Live.  I'm not saying these things should be on the site but attaching them to things is pretty strange to me.  Those 3 things apply to every Xbox 360 game, would you attach them all to each of them?  Well you could, but you shouldn't.  

IMO, the concept page should be a description of what the concept is.  The concepts attached to a game should be a well chosen group of concepts that aren't necessarily unique to the game but at least stand out.  Like maybe satire, euphoria physics and emergent gameplay to GTA 4, but seriously Health is attached to nearly 1500 games.  Thats insane! Everybody knows what health is and that its featured in nearly every game
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Giantkitty
Snail said:
"MB said:
"There have only been like 37 points or something gained from this page altogether, so I really don't see the validity in the whole "point whoring" argument that people tend to use when asking for pages to be deleted.  Anyway it's just my opinion, we'll have to wait for Jeff or someone to chime in and say whether it should go or not."
Sure, I just think that unnecessary concepts should be deleted, even though as you said it isn't hurting anything, it is unnecessary to the website and not relevant..."
Gump said:
"I think it's a valid concept that only should be attached in few characters and games in the database, but it's really unnecessary."
Saying a concept is unnecessary begs the question. What is "necessary?" We could theoretically remove Mario and still have a functioning website (it wouldn't be as good as a website, but GB will still be there), so even Mario is "unnecessary."  You could deem anything and everything unnecessary except for the root code and stuff.

It's relevant to the character, I made sure they would be deemed cute by over 90% of the population, or like Fluffy, Uranus, and Happy Tree Friends, they were created specifically to be cute, that's why they're "there."

Anything can be "abused" (last time i looked at "shoes" someone had hundreds of points - anyone that wore shoes, I guess). Let's not get too Whorepointophobic.

Snail said:
"lamegame621 said:
"Let the point whores be whores. There are more important things."
No. The community is the essence of this website."

No, it's owned by Jeff. Let's not go down the Appeal to Popularity Road.

I_smell said:
"I also think it's too subjective. "Cute" isn't even a definative word."
Define definitive. I think most people know what I'm talking about, and the picture shows what "cuteness" means

MattyFTM
said:
"I don't think the page in question is point farming, but it could lead to point farming. E.g. if this is acceptable, then "Ugly Character" is acceptable, and so is "beautiful character" etc. We'll end up with thousands of "*Insert Adjective Here* Character" pages.

And also, it's far to subjective.Thiscould be cute to one person, and this could be cute to another. You can take it to even more extremes. You could in theory end up with every character on the site on that page and it wouldn't be wrong, because cuteness is subjective."

As long as the *adjective* fits the character and it's somewhat well defined and doesn't fit over 90% of the characters, then so what? I wouldn't accept beautiful because aren't most video game characters beautiful? I'd accept ugly, as long as the characters were made to be that way, not just someone saying "that supermodel is ugly."

I'd find Pey'j to be "homely" (adorably ugly) and not under "cute." And the "every character" argument would fall under the continuum fallacy. I don't know where that point is, but there's somewhere the character isn't considered cute. "Smart" is a subjective term too, but are we going to call idiots smart because we don't know where exactly to stop?

Psynapse said:
"I agree, just imagine how Nico Bellic will feel when we add him to the 'Angry European Character', i'm sure that he wouldn't want to be put into such a stereotypical role..."
Angry is an emotional state which could change, I suppose you could have a perma-angry concept (characters that are always angry, I guess), but cute characters don't normally become "uncute," it's a permanent feature of them. (You can put the "Europe" location under the character, so geographical subdivisions are redundant) And let's not worry about fictional characters "feelings," or whether they're stereotyped or not (irrelevant)

IncredibleBulk92 said:
"Snail said:
"
Yes an excellent addition there.
Man I just looked through GTA 4's concepts and I got a little angry 2bh.  Disc Streaming, Loading Screens and Xbox Live.  I'm not saying these things should be on the site but attaching them to things is pretty strange to me.  Those 3 things apply to every Xbox 360 game, would you attach them all to each of them?  Well you could, but you shouldn't.  

IMO, the concept page should be a description of what the concept is.  The concepts attached to a game should be a well chosen group of concepts that aren't necessarily unique to the game but at least stand out.  Like maybe satire, euphoria physics and emergent gameplay to GTA 4, but seriously Health is attached to nearly 1500 games.  Thats insane! Everybody knows what health is and that its featured in nearly every game
"
I think cute could apply to a small minority of characters and games, while things like loading screens and Xbox Live could be seen as trivial and very commonplace. Who'd want to know about loading screens? But someone could look up cute because they're making a game with cute characters, or I made it for games with cute characters that have horrible things happen to them. Or they can't quite remember a game but knew it had a cute character. (I don't think anyone remembers a game because it has a "loading screen" and that's all they remember)

If it is taken out because of the "subjectivity," then fine. There should be a ruling and maybe some people to take out things like "Shovelware" (subjective, negatively defined, and who wants to find and know about shovelware games?)

gman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gman

I actually talked to Jeff yesterday and we agreed it's too subjective and vague.  It'd open to other unnecessary things.  I meant to delete yesterday but got caught up in some other stuff.  I believe the page had good intentions but alas...

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Gump
In memory of
In memory of "Cute Character concept/page" (2008-2008)
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Giantkitty
Gump said:
"I mean, when I say "It's really unnecessary", I'm trying to say... A character can be cute, beautiful, gorgeous, etc. (that's absolutely valid as a concept for the character in the video game, the design, the experience, etc.) but as a wiki/concept page is too vague and unnecessary, maybe the Animaniacs are too cute for you, but I don't know, maybe they're not really cute for someone.

OH MAN, Hello Kitty is too cute, I need a concept to tell to all the world about her beauty. What!?
Giantkitty as an encyclopedic catundoubtedly loves "Hello Kitty", and for some good reason he does those things.
"
I suppose that could be "vague or subjective." But find me a "necessary" page. What if someone takes it out? Will GB self destruct (we are talking necessary here)? There's really no such thing as a "necessary" page, so how can you really have unnecessary ones (they'd all be unnecessary)? Trivial maybe, but not unnecessary.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snail
Giantkitty said:
"Gump said:
"I mean, when I say "It's really unnecessary", I'm trying to say... A character can be cute, beautiful, gorgeous, etc. (that's absolutely valid as a concept for the character in the video game, the design, the experience, etc.) but as a wiki/concept page is too vague and unnecessary, maybe the Animaniacs are too cute for you, but I don't know, maybe they're not really cute for someone.

OH MAN, Hello Kitty is too cute, I need a concept to tell to all the world about her beauty. What!?
Giantkitty as an encyclopedic catundoubtedly loves "Hello Kitty", and for some good reason he does those things.
"
I suppose that could be "vague or subjective." But find me a "necessary" page. What if someone takes it out? Will GB self destruct (we are talking necessary here)? There's really no such thing as a "necessary" page, so how can you really have unnecessary ones (they'd all be unnecessary)? Trivial maybe, but not unnecessary."
Ok fine, allow me to rephrase what this guy said.
There are USEFUL pages and USELESS pages. This one was useless, good thing it's gone.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By brukaoru

R.I.P Cute Character Concept Page!

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Giantkitty

>There are USEFUL pages and USELESS pages. This one was useless,

The only reason it was taken off was because of the subjectivity:

Someone wants to program  a game with cute characters and wants to research "what's out there"

All the 9 year old girls into that stuff

You can't remember a game/character, but remember it was cute

uselessness disproved

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mike
Seeing as how this concept was deleted over two weeks ago...