Anyone see any Dragon Quest XI PC version impressions?

jpon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A bunch of fantastic reviews for Dragon Quest XI just dropped. I love the series and the creators said the PC version is "not just a straight port," running at native 4K. I recently upgraded my PC and have a 4K monitor so I would like to play it on PC, but with the Nier Automata PC port having a ton of issues I get nervous committing to that version. In contrast the PC version of Final Fantasy XV is supposed to be fantastic and there were similar quotes about it being "not a straight port" prior to release that makes me hopeful! Anyone see anything on PC version impressions? I haven't found anything.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By frytup

The PC-focused sites (PC Gamer, Rock Paper Shotgun, etc.) haven't posted DQ XI reviews, so I'm assuming Square didn't send out PC review code. We'll likely have to wait for release to get any info.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So anecdotally, I have a 4k tv and my pc hooked up to it and the game looks/runs amazing on it. I was actually shocked by how beautiful the art is. Now granted I am only an hour in, and there haven't been a ton of magical effects on the screen or anything yet, but I haven't noticed any issues at all except when I first started the game and it played the intro movie and seemed to lose a few frames at first, but that might have been a disc read slowdown or something. Later on that video plays again for a late title card and there wasn't any issues at all that time so I am chalking it up to just a loading thing at the beginning.

I'm playing with an xbox 360 controller on PC and the controller support seems great.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played about 1.5 hours of the PC version last night. Ran just fine on my rig hooked up to my 4K TV with controller support. Seems fine to me anecdotally.

ricobanderas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far looks and runs absolutely great on my PC. YMMV though. I have a 7th gen i7 and GTX1080, played in 1440p @ 60 fps and was constant and smooth.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

So far looks and runs absolutely great on my PC. YMMV though. I have a 7th gen i7 and GTX1080, played in 1440p @ 60 fps and was constant and smooth.

Is the framerate capped or unlocked?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@ricobanderas said:

Is the framerate capped or unlocked?

Capped at 60 in menus, but you can unlock by editing a config file.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

https://www.pcgamer.com/dragon-quest-11s-pc-port-is-barebones-but-it-looks-great-anyway/

Just saw this

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrunoTheThird

My 1070/6700k pairing runs the game perfectly at 1440p, but only with shadow detail bumped down one -- it stutters when I spin the camera over really specific things, otherwise. Doesn't happen at 1080p, but the resolution bump is far more profound than slight shadow differences, so I'm fine with a small reduction in quality.

Some of the textures are pretty low res (rocks, bark, leaves) if you get closer to them, but the overall higher res, wonderful character models, and vastly superior elemental effects give it a clear leap in quality, even if it's not consistently cutting edge in every single way. The lighting, colours, effects and art direction are soul-stirring; I'm utterly in love.