"Mod Images" stance on in game MMO user names.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

MMO screen shots with user names in it is in no way against the rules but in my opinion it is sort of a shameless way of self promotion  ones character or ones clan in some cases. Now I'm sure that most people who upload screenshots from MMOs with user names in them do not do it to promote themselves but just to make the screenshots galleries more diverse and attractive however even unwillingly they are promotion them selves.

I guess this is one of those things that have to be discussed for the better being and the clarity of modding images of Giant Bomb.

My stance: Screenshots of MMO's should not include player names unless it are names of NPCs.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I suppose it would depend on the game. If it is possible to take a screenshot of the same thing without a username, it shouldn't have a username, but if the only way to take a screenshot of that part of the game is to have a username on it, they should be allowed.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Self promotion? "This mo'fucka has a guild in GIANT BOMB SCREENSHOTS! I WANT TO JOIN NOW, SHIT!"

Seriously. I don't see what it has to do with self-promotion at all. I say let them go.

And as for character-specific images of armor and such (should that be brought up or be included in what you're talking about): again, I don't see any problem with uploading a screenshot of some armor or something. It's up to the player to decide whether or not to edit their name out. If they want to leave it in (laziness, whatever) then that's fine.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By brukaoru

Usually the spot where a player's name is would be on the side. When taking screenshots, people should be able to leave their names out.

This is actually a good question because I plan on taking screenshots from a game I am playing where there is no default name given to the character. Should I just leave out the party's names? No HP/MP status or attack choices would be shown either.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_
brukaoru said:
"Usually the spot where a player's name is would be on the side. When taking screenshots, people should be able to leave their names out."
Have you ever taken a screenshot? :-/
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Endogene
Jayge said:
"Self promotion? "This mo'fucka has a guild in GIANT BOMB SCREENSHOTS! I WANT TO JOIN NOW, SHIT!"

Seriously. I don't see what it has to do with self-promotion at all. I say let them go.

And as for character-specific images of armor and such (should that be brought up or be included in what you're talking about): again, I don't see any problem with uploading a screenshot of some armor or something. It's up to the player to decide whether or not to edit their name out. If they want to leave it in (laziness, whatever) then that's fine."
I once encountered a image of 8 wow players 4 knee led on the front row and 4 standing behind them, all from the same clan, and other than those 8 you saw nothing.
Hence showing 8 times the clan name. filling the whole screen.
This one was pretty extreme i admit.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brukaoru
Jayge said:
"brukaoru said:
"Usually the spot where a player's name is would be on the side. When taking screenshots, people should be able to leave their names out."
Have you ever taken a screenshot? :-/"
Nevermind, I was thinking of something else. *smacks herself*

It's pretty much impossible not to show names when the player's name is above the character's heads in MMOs. There's no other way to take screenshots!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
Endogene said:
"I once encountered a image of 8 wow players 4 knee led on the front row and 4 standing behind them, all from the same clan, and other than those 8 you saw nothing.
Hence showing 8 times the clan name. filling the whole screen.
This one was pretty extreme i admit."
So someone uploaded a clan picture. Did they caption it "*clan name here* is recruiting!" or something? I'm guessing not, in which case nobody should care.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Endogene
no self promoting here?
no self promoting here?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_

It's a guild picture. It doesn't say the server, it doesn't say the guild's location, it doesn't say they are recruiting, it doesn't say if it's PVP or PVE, it doesn't say anything. It's just a guild picture. The only person who would think that was self promotion is someone who doesn't know anything about WoW.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By OmegaPirate

looks like a bad wesbite banner

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BoG

I don't really know what you're talking about, it is beneficial. I mean, this guy looks like an AWESOME blacksmith in Ragnarok.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene
Levio91 said:
"
No one cares.
Pick your battles

Your publicizing em more than anyone lol.
"
This is not a "battle" it is a question, do you really like screen shots filled with player names, some even showing scrap from the actual game?
In the case of World of Warcraft you can turn out all the on screen names and info.

Also did you read my opening post? i never said that every one is trying to promote themselves.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By brukaoru
Endogene said:
"In the case of World of Warcraft you can turn out all the on screen names and info."
If there is an option to disable information like that in a game, then yes, they should turn it off if the person taking screenshots knows about it.
breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By breton
brukaoru said:
"If there is an option to disable information like that in a game, then yes, they should turn it off if the person taking screenshots knows about it."
The fact that the game doesn't play like that, it's foolish. You'd be turning off the whole UI, and not presenting the game as it really is.

Anyway, I don't really think a lot of these are self promotion. People take the kind of shots posted for the fun of it. If they want to upload, well I could care less. Looking at an MMO gallery, it's expected to see names.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

I think it's fine.  After all, MMO's are as much about players and guilds as they are about NPC's.  Obvious abuse should be handled on a case by case basis.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brukaoru
breton said:
"The fact that the game doesn't play like that, it's foolish. You'd be turning off the whole UI, and not presenting the game as it really is."
Good point. I don't really see it being a problem other than environments won't be shown off as clearly, but as you said, the game doesn't play like that anyway.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

If you're playing an MMO, you can expect to see usernames. If they can be turned off, go ahead and take a few shots like that just to show off that feature, but most screenshots should show the game as it would normally look during normal gameplay.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

I think someone just wanted to whine because they don't get to go on raids.  L2playclass!!!

Also:

Endogene said:
"My stance: Screenshots of MMO's should not include player names unless it are names of NPCs."
WHEE-OOH!  WHEE-OOH!!!

YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!!! PLEASE GO BACK TO AZEROTH AND L2ENGRISH!!!
YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!!! PLEASE GO BACK TO AZEROTH AND L2ENGRISH!!!

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By MasturbatingBear
Jayge said:
"Self promotion? "This mo'fucka has a guild in GIANT BOMB SCREENSHOTS! I WANT TO JOIN NOW, SHIT!"

And as for character-specific images of armor and such (should that be brought up or be included in what you're talking about): again, I don't see any problem with uploading a screenshot of some armor or something. It's up to the player to decide whether or not to edit their name out. If they want to leave it in (laziness, whatever) then that's fine."
I agree.
jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By jlrm01
LordAndrew said:
"If you're playing an MMO, you can expect to see usernames. If they can be turned off, go ahead and take a few shots like that just to show off that feature, but most screenshots should show the game as it would normally look during normal gameplay."
I agree with this (and the others who said something similar). As an "image mod regular" I'm not going to disapprove images because of usernames showing (unless I received orders "from above" to do so). Any cases of "blatant self-promotion" should be dealt with after the image is approved, if at all, I think (I'm inclined towards not dealing with them at all... unless it is really bad). It may not even be obvious when we see the image in the mod tool that it is self-promotion (I at least wouldn't know as I'm not familiar with clans/MMOs and stuff).

I sort of remember one image with so many usernames that you could barely see anything, but those images are rare, at least from what I've seen. If it looks really bad it could get disapproved due to that reason. (I hope the police car doesn't get me, too! ^_^)
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Endogene
jlrm01 said:
"LordAndrew said:
"If you're playing an MMO, you can expect to see usernames. If they can be turned off, go ahead and take a few shots like that just to show off that feature, but most screenshots should show the game as it would normally look during normal gameplay."
I agree with this (and the others who said something similar). As an "image mod regular" I'm not going to disapprove images because of usernames showing (unless I received orders "from above" to do so). Any cases of "blatant self-promotion" should be dealt with after the image is approved, if at all, I think (I'm inclined towards not dealing with them at all...). It may not even be obvious when we see the image in the mod tool that it is self-promotion (I at least wouldn't know as I'm not familiar with clans/MMOs and stuff).

I sort of remember one image with so many usernames that you could barely see anything, but those images are rare, at least from what I've seen. If it looks really bad it could get disapproved due to that reason. (I hope the police car doesn't get me, too! ^_^)"
I never deleted any either, i usually skip them since i am not aware what the policies for them are.
xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By xymox

To someone like me who has had quite a bit of MMO experience... I say it looks like the game is more alive and active. While I do enjoy artistic images, they don't really say much other then about the game setting and graphics. If I load up the game and see it as barren as the screenshots then I would just not feel like sticking around. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Snail
Levio91 said:
"
No one cares.
Pick your battles

Your publicizing em more than anyone lol.
"
Funny thinng is, you never really use arguments.
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Johnny5

I dont think its a big deal at the moment. Although when I took shots for singleplayer games I sometimes like to show off my character name if its creative ;)